Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Help with water bill

amother

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 4:19 pm
I got a water shut off notice for this week for a $300 bill that I cannot pay. Any of the assistance programs seem to take months to qualify. Is there any way I can prevent the utility from shutting off my water ??

MrsDash

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 4:23 pm
Call up the water company, and explain to them how you are having financial difficulties. Ask if you can pay off the $300 with a monthly payment plan.

louche

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 7:08 pm
amother wrote:
I got a water shut off notice for this week for a $300 bill that I cannot pay. Any of the assistance programs seem to take months to qualify. Is there any way I can prevent the utility from shutting off my water ??

This is just a guess, but what if you pay a small fraction of the bill like 10% and ask to arrange a payment plan over time? That'll buy you time, at least. Also ask them if there are any assistance programs for cases of financial hardship--gas and electric companies have those, so maybe the water company will, too. Last resort, try to get an interest-free loan from a Jewish community group/loan gmach.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 8:49 pm
Isn't it against the law to cut off your water? health codes and all of that ?

bigmomma

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:30 pm
OP what state/city do you live in. In NY they dont do that but they do put a lien on your house eventually. I am trying to fight my NYC water bill-anybody who has succeeded to argue a water bill in NYC and win please PM me...

estibesty

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:37 pm
in NJ they just go without warning and shut it off outside, One yom tov I came home with kiddies to NO water and I needed to make bottles,bathroom it was such a nightmare. especially cuz my neighbor dint pay the bill and he turned off the wrong pump!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics