Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Adhd questions

amother

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 2:03 pm
3 yo ds has all the "symptoms," I suspect it but will get him diagnosed for his "behavioural problems" as he is really out of control.
he is very disruptive at gan and I cant take him anywhere without him causing a crazy balagan.
I have a few questions:

1. if this were the diagnosis, what really helps? which games to play? therapy? I hate the idea of him going on ritalin.
2. if this gets handled now, at a really young age, will he be "cured" or will he have this for the rest of his life?

Tamiri

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 2:32 pm
you can pm me if you are in Israel

rnidich

Post Tue, Aug 10 2010, 10:11 am
Most doctors will not really give such a diagnosis at 3, but they will tell you to be watchful. The most helpful thing anyone did for me was actually sit me down and tell me, yes there is a problem, and no, it's not all in my head, and no, it's not my parenting. Early intervention can work wonders, but you have to get in with a therapist that really matches your needs. So many problems sort of look like adhd, such as sensory disorders, food sensitivities, emotional disorders, etc. There are multiple therapies that can be helpful at treating symptoms, such as OT, speech (sometimes problems can arise when your kid is a late talker, like mine was), or behavioral or play therapy, the latter being what has helped my family the most. The other thing that was tremendously helpful for us was taking my son out of gan and putting him in a high-quality preschool, where they were qualified to help him and really knew how to not only deal with him but help him move beyond where he was. I don't have the words for how wonderful my son's new school is. He is mamesh a different kid.

2 books you might be interested in are :" The out-of-sync child", and "The Nurtured Heart approach." Neither of these were exactly shayach to our situation, but they informed me a lot about what's out there, and what could be going on. IF you can also get help for yourself, like meeting with a therapist yourself once a week to discuss parenting techniques specifically for your family, it can be a lot more supportive and motivating to keep things going at your end. Many therapists take insurance, so although cost is a factor, it shouldn't be a huge one.

As your child gets older, it will become more apparent if what you're actually seeing as adhd, or other things which can be dealt with symptomatically. The professionals (teachers, therapists, etc.) can help you figure it out as you work as a team.

Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers