Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Bike riding in NYC?

amother

Post Sat, Jul 08 2006, 11:37 pm
This Tuesday I'm taking a day off of work cuz I desperately need to take care of ME.
So I sat down to think what would it take to recharge my batteries? There are lots of things I'd like to do, but there just isn't enough time in one day to do them all, and I need to be home for the kids at 4:00.
So I've narrowed down my list to 2 activites I'd like very much to do, now my question is WHERE.
I'd like to go bicycle riding. Now remember, I'm a chaseedishe woman. The last time I went bicycle riding was somewhere out there at a resort, in the countryside, where no frum yidin were around. I pulled on a pair of pants, donned a cap (minus the shaitel) for sun protection, and biked on the road together with 3 others. The resort is a 4-hour ride from here, so I wouldn't go there just for the bike ride. I'm looking for somewhere local. Also, I don't have my own bike, so I'd need to rent one.
The other thing I would enjoy is intellectual stimulation. Say, a class or what.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

red sea

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 12:36 am
I know central park rents bikes, I dont think prospect park does, tonz of frum women ride in marine park (in skirts) but you need to borrow a bike then.

also checkout this link, singlehttp://www.ohrnaava.com/schedule.html and married women attend, all types

amother

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 1:20 am
In skirts? How? If wearing a flared skirt, doesn't the hem get caught in the chain? And if wearing a straight skirt, it rides up and one can see straight into my panty!
And where's Marine Park? Is there a bike path or what?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 1:24 am
Thanks for the Ohr Naava idea. I checked out their site, there are no daytime events. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 1:30 am
I used to ride a bike all the time and found that pleated skirts are pretty good for riding in cuz I would ride in my uniform skirt all the time and it never cought in the chain or wheel, it also has enough leeway to allow you to pedal without riding up. You just have to make sure it's long enough that the wind won't blow it up.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 9:17 am
Quote:
I'd like to go bicycle riding. Now remember, I'm a chaseedishe woman. The last time I went bicycle riding was somewhere out there at a resort, in the countryside, where no frum yidin were around. I pulled on a pair of pants, donned a cap (minus the shaitel) for sun protection, and biked on the road together with 3 others.

Not to judge, CH'V, but did u have a skirt over the pants? I am Lubavitch & I would never dream of wearing only pants, no matter where I was Yiddin or not! (For the record, I got out in a tichel every so often & wer a long nightshirt, no socks on the beach). Just a little surprised, that's all. Please don't get angry at me! Smile Smile

amother

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 4:22 pm
Why would I get angry at amother? She has said so many "worse" things than this! Kidding aside, here's my response to your reply:

I don't see why anger is an appropriate reaction. Your words don't call for a reaction at all, in fact. You do your thing, I do my thing, and we leave it up to The One Above to do the ultimate Judging.
I like to repeat what I once heard from a teacher of mine: "Concern yourself with others' gashmiot and with your own ruchniot" I like to abide by that. Perhaps if we all did, the world would be a gentler place to live in.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 7:48 pm
Fair enough. Good answer! Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 10:12 pm
So, if the weather's nice I'll do the biking thing in Central Park. I'm still looking for one more activity, say, perhaps something fun such as a fun exercise class. I'd also go for a good intellectually stimulating workshop/class. Any ideas? Manhattan/Brooklyn vicinity.
Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics