Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you opt for the easy life?

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 5:29 am
1) Do we opt to make life easier by doing less (finding all gadgets to make our life easier)?

2)Or do we opt to do less of one thing so that we can conserve our energy to work harder at something else?

3) Hmmm never thought of it but whilst we are on the subject........

I will stop speaking in gibberish and answer my post.... after you my dear reader can give your food for thought Tongue Out

tulips

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 5:49 am
Whilst the children are young, I choose to make life easier in some areas so as to conserve much-needed energy in tending to the children. This translates into having my washing machine do its work as opposed to me hand washing all the clothes; purchasing fruits and veggies from the grocer as opposed to growing them on my own, etc

Joking aside, seriously, what \"alll kinds of gadgets\" are you talking about? For all I know, there may be \"all those gadgets\" in my house without me being so much as aware that they're making my life so much easier!

supermommy

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 1:40 pm
I get gadgets that "make my life easier" to conserve energy for things that matter most. For example: I use plastic so I will have more time to spend with my children.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 12:43 pm
Depends on the sitch. with my first child I used disposable diapers b/c life was too short. with the last I used a diaper service b/c money was too short.

you have to achieve a balance between your convenience and other considerations. dispoables are convenient but the expense adds up and the impact on our environment is a bad one. so while I won't say I never use them, I use them as seldom as possible and reuse them as much as possible.

Not all labor-saving devices really save much labor--or any labor at all. I have a gizmo for making salads--but by the time I bring it down from the closet, cut up the veggies to a size that will fit in the feed tube, take it apart and wash all the pieces, then dry them, reassemble the machine and put it back up, wash the cutting board and knife that I have anyway had to use to prep the veggies to fit in the machine--I could have chopped up the veggies by hand with one cutting board and one knife. unless I'm making a shevo brochos and expecting 20 people, manual processing is the order of the day.

One also needs to consider the space the gizmo will take up. Before I buy something I have to know where it will go, and have to decide whether the space it will take up (an inconvenience) will be worth the convenience value. Pesach would be one time that a machine for making salads would be useful to me--but the space such a thing would take up outlaws it.

there is also an issue of quality. I could buy frozen latkes, but most of them are made with hydrogenated fats. (homemade tastes better, too). Once or twice on chanuka I make latkes to be yotze the minimum latke requirement, and finished. I don't need to serve latkes all year round.

OTOH--I buy bakery or packaged bread. homemade is great but it demands too much effort on my part (I don't have a magic Mill). when my children were little I bought baby food in jars. to me, cooking, milling and freezing green beans, squash and carrots was not worth the effort. however, I thought buying banana in baby food jars was insane--how long does it take to mash a banana?

like evrything in life, you have to find a balance.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 1:13 pm
I agree. Streamlining helped more than appliances did.

Blossom

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 10:34 pm
Quote:
This translates into having my washing machine do its work as opposed to me hand washing all the clothes; purchasing fruits and veggies from the grocer as opposed to growing them on my own, etc

LOL LOL LOL

Yeah, I also buy meat in a butcher rather than having to make the meat kosher.

chen

Post Wed, Jul 12 2006, 12:14 pm
Blossom wrote:
Quote:
This translates into having my washing machine do its work as opposed to me hand washing all the clothes; purchasing fruits and veggies from the grocer as opposed to growing them on my own, etc

LOL LOL LOL

Yeah, I also buy meat in a butcher rather than having to make the meat kosher.

Is it even possible nowadays to buy meat that hasn't been kashered? (In the US, that is.)

amother

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:37 pm
Interesting

faigie

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 9:49 am
recently my cleaning lady was giving me issues......... coming, not coming etc
when my kids wre small I had a lady come in to help me every week, but now my kids are bigger, they do their own laundary etc......
so this time I let my cleaning lady go, and didnt hire another one.
I joined up with this group called flyladies, and the house is, oddly enough, cleaner now then when I had hired help. oddly enough I seem to have more spare time too....this flylady stuff seems to work and streamlined my life.

Tefila

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 11:36 am
Quote:
and the house is, oddly enough, cleaner now then when I had hired help. oddly enough I seem to have more spare time too....

See it's imo b/c you made the choice to let her go.That you can prove to yourself that you can do it. I am in the same predicament now my lady I had is now helping by living in with a senior so I'm left with noone well though it isn't spotless (since I joined imamother well the house has slightly deteriated embarrassed but the women has b/come more relaxed and happy Wink ) I will say it is organized, clean and tidy. just don't open my upstairs hall closet I take NO responsibility Help

chen

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 12:27 pm
Tefila wrote:
ust don't open my upstairs hall closet I take NO responsibility Help

LOL
seriously, if it's just one closet you are doing better than most!

Tefila

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 12:29 pm
Yea what would I do without the upstairs was embarrassed walk in closet embarrassed

chen

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 12:44 pm
so now it's a take-one-look-and-walk-OUT closet? LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics