Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What to do for Nauseous travelling?

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 12:05 pm
My baby Now 16m gets very nauseous every time I travel by bus. Its been happpening for a while; driving me nuts cuz everytime over she vomits all over herself or me! Is there anything I can do to prevent this as I don't own a car and the only means of getting arount is public transportation!

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 12:08 pm
Eating lemons helped me as a child. Eventually I grew out of it.

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 1:55 pm
I give my older daughter dramimine chewable tablets. My two year old doesn't like them and won't chew them, so I grind it up and mix it with juice. The only problem is, it causes drowsiness, so sometimes I feel it's not worth it.

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 2:23 pm
I wouldnt want my dd to be drowsy every time I go onto a bus that wouldnt be practicle for me unless I travel long distance.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 4:53 pm
My kids tend to get motion sickness, and I was the sickie-bag queen throughout the primary school.
What seem to have helped me & my kids are as following.

- motion sickness wrist band (dunno if it's for real or placebo, but kids manage better)
- sit toward the front. avoid the parts above wheels and the back seats
- sit next to window, get fresh air
- my kids seem to fare better with a lavendar essential oil dropped in cotton wool nearby
- make sure your child is not hot
- stomach not too full nor too empty
- once the child complains about not feeling well, don't give acidic drink (eg OJ)
- the most practical thing was to teach the kids how to throw up in a bag, or at least give me a sign they're close to "the action" so I can quickly grab a bag.
- a large ziplock bag, a packet of wet tissue, air freshner, water bottle and a change of clothes

raich

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 5:49 pm
when I was a kid, a bunch of my siblings and I would frequently get carsick. my mother bought a bunch of those anti-nausea bands (sea bands, I think they're called in some stores) and they worked really well for us. I also wonder about the placebo effect, but at that time my little siblings were too young to understand that things put on their wrists could be helping them not be nauseous, so I doubt it.

I'm not sure about a kid younger than two, though (the size might be too big--it's supposed to put pressure on the center of the wrist, and a baby's wrist might be too small for it to work properly. maybe it comes in baby sizes??)

dramamine works wonders, too. in fact, I think dramamine works better than the bands, but there's that annoying side effect of extreme drowsiness. they make dramamine nowadays that's longer acting (24-hour instead of the usual 8- or 12- hour) and does not cause drowsiness. (beats me how they got it to work for longer and still not make you tired!)

good luck. cleaning up vomit is no fun... Confused

yentadevosha

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 5:57 pm
There is a product called Motioneaze. It's drops you put behind the ears. The smell is a bit yucky, but someone I know uses it all the time. You order it online, motioneaze.com.
Good luck!

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 8:48 pm
what r these bands where can I get them?
somone mentioned to me gravel or something what is that like?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 9:12 pm
sit near the front of the bus. it's motion sickness.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 9:41 pm
Have her sit facing foward. Try to keep her sitting still (not moving around). Eating heavy carbs right before like pretzels also helps.

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 10:04 pm
its funny I also thought that sitting in front is better besides for not being able to do it every time wenever I did she still threw up. Even the toast bread that she ate a little b4 so now I know that no food for rhr b4 ctraveling but I still need something for the vomiting that she does anyway! but not eating does sometimes help but not always possible. like when I go shopping or when I leave in the morning soon after breakfast...

qeenB

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 10:12 pm
I dont know if you can do this with such a young child but I was just talking to someone yesterday who told me that he always gets motion sickness when he goes in a car or bus and he found that if he puts his head into his lap and then puts his arms over his head he doesnt get sick.

raich

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 9:26 am
I guess it would depend on where you live, but in the east coast of the US there's a brand called Sea Bands which are grey sweatband looking things you wear on your wrist that have a little round plastic nub that puts pressure on the inside of each wrist. they don't hurt--they're just gentle and firm pressure. two of them come in a little clear plastic case so they're less easy (but not impossible!) to lose.

and they're good for years--one of my sisters used to use them at age 2 or 3 and she's now 15 and we still have a bunch of them around my parents' house. I use them when I don't feel like taking dramamine. ...yeah...motion sickness doesn't really go away... Confused

hatzlacha raba! keep us posted Smile

micki

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 10:31 am
mint.

mint helps my kids. mind candy, gum, leaves anything minty
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics