Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone here from Phoenix Arizona?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:32 am
I'm thinking about moving to Phoenix- can anyone tell me about the frum community and any other important/interesting things about it?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:34 am
My cousins live in Scottsdale, do you want me to ask them?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:36 am
Phoenix has a lot of pollution. Sorry, that's my only contribution Smile

amother

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:37 am
Is that a city near Phoenix (sorry don't know Arizona too well...) But any info would be helpful...

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
I'm thinking about moving to Phoenix- can anyone tell me about the frum community and any other important/interesting things about it?
are you moving to be a part of outreach, the kollel? or for life?
I lived there for three years. Moved there against the advice of people who lived there, who would not say WHY not to move. I think it was the worst three years of my life both spiritually and physically.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:40 am
oh my!! Im looking into joining the kollel- why didnt you like it? - we have to commit for 2 yrs...

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
Is that a city near Phoenix (sorry don't know Arizona too well...) But any info would be helpful...
Scottsdale is the next city over. While Phoenix had a semblance of a religious community (mikva, Chabad, School, one shul everyone went to and another that all the rest attended), Scottsdale had only Chabad. Since we've left, "Jewish Life" has shifted from North Central Phoenix, where the Religious community is but the school/shul didn't move. The Phoenix JCC closed. Everything moved to Scottsdale if I am not mistaken.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
oh my!! Im looking into joining the kollel- why didnt you like it? - we have to commit for 2 yrs...
The kollel after I left so I can't answer anything about that. You'd have to ask kollel people for info on what their life is like.
Phoenix is beautiful physically. But it's so remote. It's very hot for many months (not a problem for us). The problem for us was neshama stuff, which led to physical illness for me. If the kollel is good and strong you may like it there.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:49 am
Tamiri wrote:
It's very hot for many months (not a problem for us). The problem for us was neshama stuff, which led to physical illness for me. If the kollel is good and strong you may like it there.

I had a classmate from there and she said in the summer you run from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned store and back again.
I know of 3 people who lived in pheonix growing up, but no longer live there. If no one answers, maybe I can find out if they know of people who still live there.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:53 am
So no one knows what its like now? with the kollel? Why was it spiritually deadening?

cheryl4kids

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 12:10 pm
I don't think it's as bad as people are saying - I have a friend in Scottsdale and relatives that live in the community in Phoenix - and they all seem happy. PM me and I can give you a few emails/or phone numbers of people who live there and are familiar with the kollel (my friend's husband used to work for the kollel).

songbird

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 1:57 pm
I was in both Phoenix and Scottsdale on a SEED outreach program. I loved it! I was much younger, but everybody we met seemed to be truly happy - full families included. We ate suppers and some Shabbos meals with the Kollel families and they were just as frum and content as any other frum family from the Tri-State area. The frum community seems to be close knit, and they were many others truly interested in becoming more religious. Google "The Kosher Spirit" - it's a magazine published by one of the Kollel families. Best of luck!!!

R123

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:07 pm
Its really not so bad here...I live very close to PHX (and have for a long time). I actually love it here. Feel free to PM for more information.....I'll try to give you as much info as you need.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:00 am
we are moving there this summer and I can't wait. I will be happy to share what I know about it.

pls email me at therebbetzin@gmail.com. I'm anon cause we haven't told everybody yet...

amother

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:06 am
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
are you moving to be a part of outreach, the kollel? or for life?
I lived there for three years. Moved there against the advice of people who lived there, who would not say WHY not to move. I think it was the worst three years of my life both spiritually and physically.

Tamiri, it sounds like you were there a long time ago. My close friend lives there and I went to visit a couple years ago. It's a lovely community and they are VERY happy. There is a kollel there. I think it's a kiruv kollel. The school is very good, and the community is growing quickly enough to support a new girl's high school, and I remember hearing something about a boy's high school. There are at least 2 shuls. If you're looking for a warm community that seems to be growth-oriented, I suggest you look into it. I was impressed and if I didn't live in E"Y I would definitely consider it.

The weather is very hot in the summer, but it's not humid. It's a dry heat. You just stay indoors a lot in the summer. The other seasons are beautiful. It's also not terribly far from LA if that interests you.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:45 am
I am glad to hear it's changed. Not too many "real" people came there and stayed. There were the core people who built everything up and then broke away from each other but stayed. These days they are older. There was so much infighting. So many weird things. I hope for everyone's sake that it's great there now. It's a beautiful place and the non jews we met there were wonderful. Lot's of mega churches. Mormons. The works. It's about 6 hours drive to LA without traffic, a bit less to San Diego. Not far to the Hoover Dam/Las Vegas etc. Skiing in Flagstaff in the winter. The original London bridge in Lake Havasu.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Dec 19 2015, 2:52 pm
Can anyone tell me anything about the community today? We are considering a move there from New York.
Schools?
Housing?
Community?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 7:17 am
Bump

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 9:38 am
I used to live there a few years ago. It's changed a lot since I've been there but I have family members who still live there and I go back to visit sometimes. It's a great community and has grown a lot in the last few years. There's a lot of yeshivish families but there are also a lot of modern orthodox and just regular open minded families. There are a few Shuls to choose from that are located in the same area. In terms of schools, I am not so familiar with the new elementary school that recently opened but I know many families who send there and it seems to be a great school overall. The new school is run by "kollel" families while the older elementary school has been there for many years. The girls high school is really great as well. In terms of food, I would say that Phoenix is somewhat lacking in that sense. There is only one main kosher store and is pretty expensive compared to New York or other large cities. There are a few kosher restaurants but not many. But there are many local supermarkets that carry kosher items such as Safeway and trader joes. Every city has it's pros and cons, and "problems" and Phoenix is definitely not an exception but overall, the community is warm and accepting and you get that feeling of an out of town environment with a strong jewish community! It does get extremely hot in the summer but it's manageable if you don't spend too much time outdoors. The weather in the winter is amazing! Phoenix is a really great place to live but it's a lot more quiet than the city life so it really depends on your personality and what you are willing to give up! Good luck with your decision!

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
I used to live there a few years ago. It's changed a lot since I've been there but I have family members who still live there and I go back to visit sometimes. It's a great community and has grown a lot in the last few years. There's a lot of yeshivish families but there are also a lot of modern orthodox and just regular open minded families. There are a few Shuls to choose from that are located in the same area. In terms of schools, I am not so familiar with the new elementary school that recently opened but I know many families who send there and it seems to be a great school overall. The new school is run by "kollel" families while the older elementary school has been there for many years. The girls high school is really great as well. In terms of food, I would say that Phoenix is somewhat lacking in that sense. There is only one main kosher store and is pretty expensive compared to New York or other large cities. There are a few kosher restaurants but not many. But there are many local supermarkets that carry kosher items such as Safeway and trader joes. Every city has it's pros and cons, and "problems" and Phoenix is definitely not an exception but overall, the community is warm and accepting and you get that feeling of an out of town environment with a strong jewish community! It does get extremely hot in the summer but it's manageable if you don't spend too much time outdoors. The weather in the winter is amazing! Phoenix is a really great place to live but it's a lot more quiet than the city life so it really depends on your personality and what you are willing to give up! Good luck with your decision!

Can I ask why you moved?

How are job opportunities?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating