Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
PSA- email scam

HooRYou

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:50 pm
This really happened with me just now, so I figure I would tell others to be aware.

My DH has a friend who lives in the US who we aren't in touch with often and when we are it is by email. He is a super reliable person, so when we received an email from him saying he was in London and robbed and needed money to pay bills and things so he could go home I had doubts but I believed him. I never organized to send the money and B"H I didn't because he wrote today that someone hacked into his email account, He was locked out but the hacker was sending this message out to his entire contacts list!

Tehilla

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:51 pm
Yup, that EXACT email almost, happened to my husband a few months ago. They took his email and he was locked out of it for a few days. B"H no one sent money although we did get some phone calls from friends.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:52 pm
Wouldn't most people call their friend up and make sure everything's legit? I can't imagine sending someone money without speaking to them first.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:53 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Wouldn't most people call their friend up and make sure everything's legit? I can't imagine sending someone money without speaking to them first.

One can only hope.

Mrs.K

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 12:58 pm
I got an email like that from a friend in America as well, except the email said she had been robbed while touring Uruguay so that was sort of a red flag. Had it said London I would have been much less suspicious.

HooRYou

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 1:11 pm
In our case, we couldn't call since he said he was in London. We have his home #, but it wouldn't help us reach him in London.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 1:21 pm
there are ppl on Face book who haew been pereptuating this scam for a long while. I got such PMs as well and knew it coudnt be possible as it was already shabbos in england. be careful from this.

Chloe

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 1:30 pm
This happened to my friend as well.
A whole email how he and his family got robbed in London. Thankfully everyone had their suspicions and nobody sent any money. They traced the IP address back to Nigeria but who knows if the IP address wasn't hacked either Confused , although it makes sense that the email originated from there as Nigeria is known for scam artists.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 7:00 pm
Are you all on Facebook?

mamacita

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 9:03 pm
We got this email from a friend while she happened to be actually touring in London! If I hadn't already known it was a scam I completely might have believed it.

Always worth being extra safe and checking things out as fully as possible!

Marigold

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 9:06 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
Are you all on Facebook?

I'm not!

willow

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 3:15 am
DefyGravity wrote:

That is what happend to us and dh called friend first. It was false. Thank G-d he didn't send the money first

Tehilla

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 4:50 am
life'sgreat wrote:
Are you all on Facebook?

Nope.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 6:34 pm
I know that this was going around on Facebook, but I guess they're getting more sophisticated.

Funmommy

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 6:08 pm
I guess the best thing to do is to every once in a while export a copy of your contact list to excel and then in case you are locked out of your email account, you can quickly make a new account and email everyone explaining what happened.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics