Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Red Kidney Beans, Split Red Lentils, Pearl Barley

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:54 am
I have 2 packages of each.

Does anyone have an idea what main dish I can prepare with them, not neccesarily all in one dish.

Thank you.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 10:05 am
The red chili beans would go well as a vegetarian chili... I cook the beans first then drain all the water. I cut up a couple of green peppers and onions and saute for a little. Add some minced garlic.

Add the beans and then a can of tomato paste, a can or bottle of beer, black pepper, salt, chili powder and garlic powder. Also add some more water to thin out the paste a bit more.

then just let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve with flour or corn tortillas, rice and corn.

Pearl barley and lentils would be good for soups, although frankly it's a bit too warm for that for me.

If you have some beef, you can make a nice beef with barley dish.. with roasted whole garlic, mushrooms and a mint and honey sauce...

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 1:00 pm
Kosher by Design has a great red lentil soup - quick, easy and even my kids eat it.
Fry an onion and some mushrooms (I sometimes skip the mushrooms). Add 2 2/3 cup red lentils, 1 small can tomato paste, 12 cups stock, bring to the boil and cook on low for 20 minutes till soft but not mushy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics