Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Weight gain

amother

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 11:12 am
What is the least amount an infant can gain in a month and still be considered to be growing?

At my ds's well check last month he gained a pound and grew an inch. Now he doesn't look much bigger and it's almost time for the next well visit. I breastfeed him and he has not started solids yet.

mazeltov

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 4:55 pm
I think it also depends on the age of the child, and his birth-weight and rate of growth.

also, what did the doctor say?

drumjj

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 5:00 pm
I think it also depends on the child, my daughter puts on weight very very slowly, some put on weight quicker. I would see what the dr says.

sporty

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 3:41 pm
Hey,
I was the OP. Dont need to remain anon, really do need advice...
DS had his 5 month well check and he only gained 1/2 pd this month and grew 1 3/4 inches. He went from 50th in weight to 25th.

My dr. wasnt concerned - yet - he said if this pattern went on he would be but not yet (though last month he only gained 1 pd, my dr. said 1 1/2-2 is normal)

My dr said its up to me if I want to try starting solids now. I can offer him some cereal 2 times a day.

Is it too early though?

small bean

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 4:08 pm
my son is not gaining less than 3lb's since birth (actually closer to 2lbs). my doc told me as long as theres a steady gain - he is ok with it... for ex if every week/month there's a gain that's fine... the gastro told me that they want avg of 15g a day. which is just about a lb a month...

I don't theres anything worng with starting solids.

sporty

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 4:39 pm
Thanks small bean - I hope your son starts to gain some more now.
I started my dd at 5 and a half months on solids. This seems early but perhaps my ds needs the food and extra calories...

cuties' mom

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 8:06 pm
BF babies generally drop in percentile around 5-6 months. The growth charts include FF babies and BF babies, however, ff babies generally start solids at 4 months while bf babies generally start at 6 months. Both of my kids started out big and ended up small. The dr wasn't concerned and said that there really is no need for babies to be fat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics