Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you wax your 2yr olds obvious uni-brow?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 8:50 am
I would like some advice on if I should wax my 2yr old daughters obvious uni-brow. Some adults who have seen her asked me and one even told me she did her toddlers eyebrows. These comments came from adults who should have enough sechel to control their thoughts (although I was considering it before the comments), and I'm worried about what will be with my daughters self-esteem when she goes to school with the "unforgiving" children.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 8:51 am
No I wouldn't. My son has it. I think a unibrow is not something kids pick up on, but adults do. And frankly, I can't imagine how a 2 year old would handle the pain of a waxing. I can't even imagine it.

sarah86

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 8:55 am
No way! I remember being in grade 5 and one girl had started waxing her legs, I think it is a bit premature for a 2 year old! I wasn't allowed to wax until I started high school!

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 8:57 am
shock
ABSOLUTELY NOT

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 8:59 am
I also want to ask - is this really for your child's sake, or your own?

mae1984

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 8:59 am
NO!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:10 am
It's for my daughters sake. As a child I was also extremely hairy, and the kids at school used to call me a monkey. I didnt grow up in a religious home so while everyone at school wore short sleeve shirts I used to cry for my mom to let me wear my long sleeved shirts. So when I was 6 yrs old I completely shaved my body, minues the hair on my head, eyebrows and eyelashes. My mom was in shock when she saw the ring of hair on the bathtub. I remember the feeling at school and dont want my daughter to experience the same trauma.

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:10 am
NO. That is a terrible horrible and ridiculous idea. A 2 year old? No, her self esteem will not suffer if she has a unibrow. She is 2, not 12. Come on.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
It's for my daughters sake. As a child I was also extremely hairy, and the kids at school used to call me a monkey. I didnt grow up in a religious home so while everyone at school wore short sleeve shirts I used to cry for my mom to let me wear my long sleeved shirts. So when I was 6 yrs old I completely shaved my body, minues the hair on my head, eyebrows and eyelashes. My mom was in shock when she saw the ring of hair on the bathtub. I remember the feeling at school and dont want my daughter to experience the same trauma.

A unibrow is different. I also think it's up to the mom to make the child feel ok and confident about their looks and body. It isn't horrible or ugly and if you have the right healthy attitude, so could she.

slushiemom

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:18 am
NO FREAKING WAY

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:20 am
shock Are you serious??? Absolutely not!!!!!!!! She'll find out soon enough that it's something to get rid of, why cant you let a kid be a kid??? I wouldnt want my kid to grow up at 2 and start waxing, of all things. My 2 year old has her own opinions on clothes, G-d help me for when she's a teenager. Build up her self esteem, and she wont feel that anything is 'off' until she reaches an appropriate age.

prettyone

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:21 am
no

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:25 am
I also took a scissor to fix my own beauty problems at six years old & when the scissor was taken away 7 my mother didn't let my opinion matter I went to further extremes too.

However she is 2 not 6. I doubt she or other children her age are aware of it, yet. But when she does feel it and want to take care of it by waxing or laser or electrolysis, I would do it with the pediatricians medical ok, even at 6. But if she was okay with it or chose to not want to do anything I would never mention it & tell her she is beautiful as is.

Barbara

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:28 am
I honestly don't know what I'd do.

Kids can be cruel. They can tease and taunt and make another kid's life miserable. And if they were doing it over a unibrow, that's eventually going to be take care of anyway, I can't fathom why I'd let me kid be miserable in the interim.

OTOH, some kids are taunt-proof for whatever reason, and it wouldn't bother them at all.

In any case, if I were to do anything, it would be electrolysis, not waxing. But I don't know if its safe on a baby. Or if unibrows tend to go away as the kid gets older.

So my vote is wait to see if it becomes an issue and, if it does, address the issue then.

sky

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:43 am
NO! NO! NO!

Please don't do that to a 2 year old. A 2 year old definetly doesn't know. If they start asking address it now. But right now NO!

I actually remember someone who is a makeup artist saying that there is a reason for people not to wax before they hit puberty, but I forget the reason she gave.

estibesty

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:47 am
I totally understand why you want too not saying if I would or not cuz im not in the situation but I understand!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 9:49 am
Barbara wrote:
I honestly don't know what I'd do.

Kids can be cruel. They can tease and taunt and make another kid's life miserable. And if they were doing it over a unibrow, that's eventually going to be take care of anyway, I can't fathom why I'd let me kid be miserable in the interim.

OTOH, some kids are taunt-proof for whatever reason, and it wouldn't bother them at all.

In any case, if I were to do anything, it would be electrolysis, not waxing. But I don't know if its safe on a baby. Or if unibrows tend to go away as the kid gets older.

So my vote is wait to see if it becomes an issue and, if it does, address the issue then.

Well said.
I'll say it not so well: no capital way! Don't introduce the concept of cosmetic improvement, especially when she's still in the process of developing self-image, etc. in the most basic sense. I would say this about ANYTHING. Till it bothers her, don't sweat it. Maybe that's not the best way of putting things; usually we have to get our kids started on deodorant before they realize they need it (girls will usually catch on and ask for it as a tween; boys may not till well into adulthood Twisted Evil ) but I think Y'AKWIM (y'all know what I mean).

mamommommy

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:03 am
I completely agree with everyone advising you not to do it. A 2 year old is not physically self-conscious, but by waxing her eyebrows, you will be teaching her to be self-conscious about it in an extremely painful way. Can you imagine the association that this child will have with this once you expose her to that?

By doing it now, you, the mother, are creating an issue for your daughter. That is very different than other children, who may be mean to her, creating an issue for her. If , in the future, she gets picked-on because of her appearance, then you can revisit the issue and consider doing it, because at that point you will be doing it to prevent further pain. Right now, you'll just be causing it.

shanie5

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:03 am
I took my 12 yr old dd for waxing and she hated it-does not want to do it again or do her upper lip. I cant imagine putting a 2 yr old thru that.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 11:06 am
Besides the physical pain of the waxing, what kind of message would that be sending your kid? You're too ugly so we have to fix you up? Please, leave your kid alone and let her feel happy just to be her until she gets old enough that it bothers HER besides just bothering YOU. At 2 yrs. old, she has to know that you love her, hairy or not.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics