Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you wax your 2yr olds obvious uni-brow?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

freidasima

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:39 pm
Two is a bit young but I agree that you should do something about it.
I'm not for waxing, it isn't good for the skin
I would wait until she is in grade school and then ask if she wants it plucked. Show her how with an ice cube to numb the area.

My youngest daughter had very bushy eyebrows. She never asked to do anything about it but when she was about ten or eleven she started noticing that there were other possibilties. One day she sat down and plucked and since then has been gorgeous.

Unibrows are NOT gorgeous. At two it is silly - most kids won't notice - but by six or seven they might. Nip it in the bud before she starts grade school, ask her if it bothers her and if so, there is what to do. If it doesn't, leave it. If she says yes, introduce her to the joy of tweezers. Less painful than waxing in the long run I think.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:51 pm
Holding your two year old still for a (potentially traumatic and) painful procedure that is not medically necessary is a NO.

I wouldn't do anything now--when she's a little older--like 6 or 7 maybe you can bleach a little bit?

I wouldn't take a kid for a waxing until they reach puberty, for sure.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 1:23 pm
if you decide to do it, at least skip waxing. you can trim it down so its less noticeable with some nail scissors or something of the sort. theres no need to explain to her IMO since it will make her concious of it. its like cutting her nails. its painless and a good compromise for now. I would personally feel very uncomfortable with an obvious unibrow on my ds/dd, but can't imagine waxing baby skin shock

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
if you decide to do it, at least skip waxing. you can trim it down so its less noticeable with some nail scissors or something of the sort. theres no need to explain to her IMO since it will make her concious of it. its like cutting her nails. its painless and a good compromise for now. I would personally feel very uncomfortable with an obvious unibrow on my ds/dd, but can't imagine waxing baby skin shock

That is an extremely bad idea, especially at that age. Cutting it will make it GROW instead of it being the way it is now.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 1:56 pm
When my now-19-year-old son was a year and a half, he chipped his front tooth horribly and I cried at the loss of his till-then perfect beauty. The dentist said he could fix it if I wanted but he might cry. I said okay, and he cried. When it chipped again, I left it as it was.

Was I wrong for trying the first time? You can say the truth - I was a lot younger then and might choose differently today.

shlomitsmum

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 2:02 pm
DO NOT ATTEMPT!

Childrens skin is thinner and there can be burning,or worse broken blood vessels that might require laser later on or even tearing....so is just too risky for now.

My baby DD has 'daddy's eyebrows are blonde but still uni -brow ...... DH hates his brows ,(I groom him cause its ugly ) he was like ..wax the poor child ! I find it cute she got them...

I was like sure lets do a FULL body wax on YOU first!!!!
one little arm spot and he was done...such a baby LOL

LOL DD still has her look
I love her just the way she is. Very Happy

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 2:28 pm
The fact is that madonna didn't allow her dd to remove her unibrow till she was 12...but on her it actually looked fashionable.

tzipp

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:

Yes u can trim it or even bleach it, but don't wax it.

Grace

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 2:33 pm
Barbara wrote:
I honestly don't know what I'd do.

Kids can be cruel. They can tease and taunt and make another kid's life miserable. And if they were doing it over a unibrow, that's eventually going to be take care of anyway, I can't fathom why I'd let me kid be miserable in the interim.

OTOH, some kids are taunt-proof for whatever reason, and it wouldn't bother them at all.

In any case, if I were to do anything, it would be electrolysis, not waxing. But I don't know if its safe on a baby. Or if unibrows tend to go away as the kid gets older.

So my vote is wait to see if it becomes an issue and, if it does, address the issue then.

what she said....
But from personal experience laser is more permanent than electrolysis.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 3:17 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
The fact is that madonna didn't allow her dd to remove her unibrow till she was 12...but on her it actually looked fashionable.

OP here...Interesting, and surprising, being that Madonna is so free.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 3:20 pm
Hashem loves me wrote:
No way!
I'm just thinking how much it hurts me, I can't see putting a 2 year old through that. And it's not like it would be one time. You would have to keep doing it.

This really shocked me:

Quote:
Some adults who have seen her asked me and one even told me she did her toddlers eyebrows.

OMG Is she normal???? (the mom not the kid)

Actually one of these people who suggested that is the daughter-in-law to one of the richest men in the world so I guess appearance is very important to them.

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 3:24 pm
The issue of protecting the child from teasing is a valid one, but my gut reaction is "NO - she has the rest of her life to be judged by her looks, leave her alone as long as possible!"

Atali

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 3:26 pm
At two? No way!

However, if kids would start teasing her about it then I would do so. But two-year-olds don't tease each other yet.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 3:36 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Actually I think I might, without making a big deal about it. I'd make it like trimming her hair, cutting her nails, brushing her teeth. This is easy to keep groomed - it's not cosmetic surgery.

You put your child in braces and hand her a razor at some point for her own good, don't you? I just gave my dd deodorant - I'm not waiting till she says that kids tell her she stinks.

OP here...great point!!!... I appreciate everyones input. I decided to give her bangs, they are long enough to kind of hide the uni-brow but short enough not to interfere with her eyes. I will decide to wait until she feels uncomfortable about it.

For those who thought it was a sick joke or insane to even think about it, I experienced first hand at how cruel the taunting can be and felt like an ugly duckling for a loooong time. I praise my children at every opportunity simply because I believe that a good self-esteem in a child is vital for becoming a positive adult. They need it now and for the future. I would NEVER deliberately hurt my child or put them through unneccesary pain.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:

OP here...great point!!!... I appreciate everyones input. I decided to give her bangs, they are long enough to kind of hide the uni-brow but short enough not to interfere with her eyes. I will decide to wait until she feels uncomfortable about it.

For those who thought it was a sick joke or insane to even think about it, I experienced first hand at how cruel the taunting can be and felt like an ugly duckling for a loooong time. I praise my children at every opportunity simply because I believe that a good self-esteem in a child is vital for becoming a positive adult. They need it now and for the future. I would NEVER deliberately hurt my child or put them through unneccesary pain.

That's a GREAT idea.

I don't think it's sick and I definitely understand where you are. I've been there as well with my son (I know it's somewhat different with a girl). I just think that until the child doesn't start feeling conscious about it, there's no need to even think about it.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 8:59 pm
I couldn't even bring myself to get her ears pierced. I'd refrain from the waxing for now.

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:35 pm
I feel your angst but remember two year olds arent very verbal. I dont think any of them are capable of teasing her for today. Remember this is YOU projecting your own bad childhood experiences onto her. My vote is wait. When things get awkward then you can make some choices but for today--just let her be.
Remember... BREATHE!
Very Happy
I am sure she is 100% adorable!!

4ofus

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 9:03 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Right, and don't remove her lice because she is beautiful with them, just as she is.

Say what?!?! That analogy makes absolutely no sense.

melbee

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 9:45 am
I also have what I suppose would be called a uni-brow, and ever since I was very young, it has been brought to my attention. People (primarily my family) felt that it was for my own good to mention the ideas of plucking, waxing, anything to get rid of that "horror" on my face. For some reason, they figured I was oblivious to it, and so every time I saw any of them it was brought up. I honestly don't remember kids ever being half as obvious or mean about it as I felt my family was doing, and I know that they really thought they were doing the right thing.

Here's the funny thing.. Aside from my wedding and a few other special occasions, I have never really cared about keeping it "pretty". Of course I know it's there, and fairly often I still get a well intentioned friend mention to me that I should really do something about it (my family finally gave up somewhere around college), but it's honestly never bothered me except when it's brought up.

I understand where you're coming from OP, but if you make it a focal point of her beauty, it will become one in her mind. If when she is older, she wants to have something done, then by all means go for it. But if it doesn't seem to bother her (and I'm sure at 2 it doesn't), I would suggest leaving it be (even if as she gets older, she still isn't bothered). Don't pressure her to change something that, to her, may not be an issue.

waveprint

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 10:04 am
I wouldn't wax it b/c it would grow right back... but when she is a bit older and it is still there I would consider laser treatment
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics