Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Silly Bands

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:57 pm
my 6 ds wants them and says many of his friends are wearing them? Aren't they bracelets? Are they meant for boys too?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 11:00 pm
LOL reading this, my kids just got into this and my 7 year old DS has no prob. wearing them, as do all his friends!

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 11:27 pm
Their rubber bands, not bracelets, indulge the kid. All my boys got some, most of them broke at the end of the day. it made them so happy though.

mindyme

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 11:42 pm
What are silly bands?

de_goldy

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 12:45 am
All the boys are wearing 'em! Let him.

mama-star

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 12:48 am
boys and girls wear them. they are all the rage.

(by the way, silly bands are little rubber bracelets that have a shape to them when they are removed. like one band could be a car, one band could be a flamingo, etc.)

jewels

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 2:05 am
I just used them to bribe my kids tonight - boys and girls. Can someone explain the attraction? Usually I can understand what the draw is but I really don't get the obsession.. they are a cheap obsession though LOL

brbs

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 4:34 pm
my dd has asked for them but around here they are $5 for a dozen.... I have an issue spending $5 for rubber bands....

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 5:02 pm
they are supposed to retail for $2.99. They also have knock-offs now.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 5:06 pm
It's funny, I work with non-Jewish school-age kids, and they're ALL wearing them too. Boys and girls. And not in NY.

Maya

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 5:55 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
It's funny, I work with non-Jewish school-age kids, and they're ALL wearing them too. Boys and girls. And not in NY.

I read an article about many school banning them because of the kids playing with them and trading during class. One day after I read that article, I passed the public school on the next block and heard the principal making an announcement, threatening to follow in the ways of other schools across the country and ban the Silly Bands from use during school hours if students continue to be distracted by them.

mosma

Post Fri, Jun 25 2010, 6:37 pm
OMG DS is obsessed with these. I refuse to spend money on dinky plastic bracelets and I'm trying to convince him it's for girls but his whole class is into it...
he got two as a prize for school and he loves playing with them/wearing them...
it'll pass. I hope.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Jun 26 2010, 10:16 pm
Maya wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

I read an article about many school banning them because of the kids playing with them and trading during class. One day after I read that article, I passed the public school on the next block and heard the principal making an announcement, threatening to follow in the ways of other schools across the country and ban the Silly Bands from use during school hours if students continue to be distracted by them.

I read an article about that, too, in Time magazine. And I've actually seen teachers confiscating them where I work.

The thing I wonder about is HOW did this become such a huge craze? I mean, you can ask that about any fad, really. What makes kids decide that this is the thing to have? We were discussing this at the Shabbos table this week, but didn't really have a good answer. Anyone?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children