Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO book on sensory processing disorder
1  2  Next

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 4:37 pm
I have two kids with sensory issues, the older one is 7, the younger one is just over a year. I'm looking for a book that deals with these issues in a clear, interesting way, and preferably gives tips and advice on how to set up a sensory diet. I specifically want a book that will also deal with sensory diet for a baby (most things I've read only deal with older children). My baby is not having an easy time with physical development, and the PT thinks it has more to do with his sensory issues than with his low muscle tone, which is why I really need some guidance in dealing with him.

abismommy

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:11 pm
I've recommended The Out of Sync Child & The Out of Sync Child Has fun to many parents. They have great ideas & really help explain sensory processing & disorders of the sensory integration system.

Look here

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:12 pm
Raising A Sensory Smart Child. Amazing book. You can borrow it from me if you live in my area.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:55 pm
The out of sync child is good.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 11:02 pm
Yup, like the others said- The Out Of Sync Child books, Raising A Sensory Smart Child- and I'm going to add Sensational Kids.

bnm

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 11:54 pm
I was searching the library catalog and each of these titles come up in 2 version: Sensory processing issues or sensory integration issues. are they the same or should I go check my daughter's eval report to see which one to reserve?

also, does anyone have any recommendations for an OT center next to BP which has speech too?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 11:56 pm
bnm wrote:
I was searching the library catalog and each of these titles come up in 2 version: Sensory processing issues or sensory integration issues. are they the same or should I go check my daughter's eval report to see which one to reserve?

also, does anyone have any recommendations for an OT center next to BP which has speech too?

Yes, sensory processing and sensory integration are often used interchangeably.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 12:22 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
bnm wrote:

Yes, sensory processing and sensory integration are often used interchangeably.

There are only 2 sensory gyms in BP (that I know of - I've asked around). Children's Place on 15th and 40th, and Pathways, on 63rd 16&17.
But there are many therapy centers. There's Kids In Shape on 50th 13&14. There's a place on 11th. I know there's lots more too. Open the BP yellow pages. Call and ask if they have OT and speech.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 12:41 am
while we're at it, are there any books specifically on auditory processing?

I LOVE the out of sync child for the info it gives about the sensory integration disorder that's a big part of my son's autism, and for the info it gives on dyspraxia which is definitely part of what my daughter with hypotonia is going through... but she also has to fill the lulls with lots of sound, even if it's just babble, and she has to repeat the same phrases over and over, and her speech therapist is talking about auditory processing--- is there a book that helps specifically with this?

thanks.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 12:52 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
while we're at it, are there any books specifically on auditory processing?

I LOVE the out of sync child for the info it gives about the sensory integration disorder that's a big part of my son's autism, and for the info it gives on dyspraxia which is definitely part of what my daughter with hypotonia is going through... but she also has to fill the lulls with lots of sound, even if it's just babble, and she has to repeat the same phrases over and over, and her speech therapist is talking about auditory processing--- is there a book that helps specifically with this?

thanks.
Raising a Sensory Smart Child talks about auditory processing, disorder, sense, sensitivity...

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 1:04 am
abismommy wrote:
I've recommended The Out of Sync Child & The Out of Sync Child Has fun to many parents. They have great ideas & really help explain sensory processing & disorders of the sensory integration system.

Look here

Thanks! Does The Out of Sync Child Has Fun have ideas for babies also?

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 1:05 am
ra_mom wrote:
Raising A Sensory Smart Child. Amazing book. You can borrow it from me if you live in my area.

Thanks for the offer, but I live in Israel. My husband will actually be in NY next week, and my brother is back and forth all the time, though. Would you mind lending it to s/o so far away?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 1:21 am
c.c.cookie wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Thanks for the offer, but I live in Israel. My husband will actually be in NY next week, and my brother is back and forth all the time, though. Would you mind lending it to s/o so far away?
If you can send it back to me, no problem.

goldapoe

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 1:30 am
OP-If you are in Bet Shemesh, Mercaz Rakefet has a lending library and they have a wonderful assortment of books.

Please do not try to set up a sensory diet on your own just with books. If you have an OT ask her to make one for you. If you have not yet seen an OT make an appointment TODAY! Make sure the sensory profile done is for infants. This is not something you should do yourself. You can over stimulate or understimulate and then do you know how to make adjustments?

If you want to PM me, feel free.

Goldapoe, OTR/L
Bet Shemesh

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 1:51 am
Thanks for all your help! I just ordered the out of sync books, and raising a sensory smart child on Amazon, and my husband will bring them back. I already went to an OT with my older son, and plan on going with my baby also. Right now, though, I'm paying a fortune for him on PT, so I want to wait a couple months before starting OT. Also, I feel like if I have a better understanding I can do much more even with therapy.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 4:02 am
While we're on this topic, does anyone know of a book that deals with sensory issues in adults, and how to deal with it? It's clear to me that my kids get their sensory issues from me. In fact, when I was younger I used to joke that I was somewhat autistic because of these issues. Noise really bothers me, I hate being touched especially unexpectedly (like when my kids come over and tap me to get my attention. It makes me jump a mile!) I can't handle crowds, I'm extremely sensitive to heat etc. Needless to say, it makes being a mother really hard, especially living in a small Israeli apt, where every sound of my five kids is magnified and whenever they're running around it's right near me and makes me really irritable.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 12:16 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
While we're on this topic, does anyone know of a book that deals with sensory issues in adults, and how to deal with it? It's clear to me that my kids get their sensory issues from me. In fact, when I was younger I used to joke that I was somewhat autistic because of these issues. Noise really bothers me, I hate being touched especially unexpectedly (like when my kids come over and tap me to get my attention. It makes me jump a mile!) I can't handle crowds, I'm extremely sensitive to heat etc. Needless to say, it makes being a mother really hard, especially living in a small Israeli apt, where every sound of my five kids is magnified and whenever they're running around it's right near me and makes me really irritable.
I wish I did.

e1234

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 12:28 pm
I have The Out of Sync Child & The Out of Sync Child Has fun if it helps you.
I'm in israel but in beitar.

it doesn't deal with diets as far as I remember. Rather activities and helping you understand the issue.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 12:57 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:

c.c. cookie and ra_mom, you might want to check out "Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World," by Sharon Heller. I've heard good things about it, but haven't read it myself. You can find it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Loud-Bri.....tit_1

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 12:59 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:

c.c. cookie and ra_mom, you might want to check out "Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World," by Sharon Heller. I've heard good things about it, but haven't read it myself. You can find it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Loud-Bri.....tit_1
Thank you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics