Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
MAJOR Acne issues

mom#1!

Post Mon, Jun 28 2010, 4:14 pm
Dd is just in the beginning of her teens and is already suffering from acne issues for a year. She had TONZ of blackheads and regular red stuff and just bump type pimples all over her forehead, neck, chest, back and everywhere else you can think of! Anyone have practical advice? We went to a dermatologist and she's on strong medication. I don't want to start her on accutaine though because I heard some people can't have kids after.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 11:47 am
Do you have a pediatric dermatologsit? If you are in NYC I can recommend ours.

mama-star

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 4:09 pm
first of all, I am so sorry for your dd. acne can be so devastating. :-(

I hope the meds she is on now starts working for her. and I have also heard about the accutaine-sterility link. good for you for being an alert mom.

I have a friend who had terrible acne for years, and she was miraculously healed with the help of a homeopath. it took a little time for the remedies to work, but she did some serious healing. I wish I knew the name of the homeopath she used, I would post it here.

anyway, hatzlocho! Hug

mom#1!

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 4:41 pm
I'm not from NYC.

mommy4

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 9:05 am
mom#1 how is your dd? Is the medication helping? My dd has those bump type pimples. I would really like something more natural because she is so young. Anyone know of anything?

Hippi Dippi

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 9:35 am
I feel very qualified to give you some advice because I had horrible acne and used every treatment you can think of from 6th grade until 12th. I tried EVERY topical cream/gel/scrub/soap. I tried EVERY type of oral medication (antibiotics, and eventually Accutaine). On Accutaine, my skin was good. But, a couple months after I went off of it, I started breaking out again. Can you imagine how upset I was? I was back at square one.
I went to seminary and my skin was OK...but not great. I got married and my skin was still not great. I discovered that to keep your skin in excellent shape, you have to treat your body the same way.
And then I started to eat VERY healthfully. It takes a lot of self-control, but this is the only way my skin stays clear. No dairy or meat products (only a on Shab) and ONLY organic. Yes, it's a pretty dramatic change. It's a bit expensive. But, CLEAR SKIN? PRICELESS.
Your young daughter probably won't agree to cut out her favorite foods from her diet, but I honestly think that it's the only way to get to the root of the issue. You can slather on creams. You can pop pills. But, once the slathering/popping is over with, you will most probably find yourself right back at the beginning.

Hatzlachah Rabbah!

MommytoB

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 10:21 am
Also suffered for a very long time. Prescrpition things that really worked for me are retin-A micro and benzaclin. I think I used the benzaclin morning and night and the retin-A just at night.

Non-prescription (while nursing didnt want to use the stronger stuff -- got an ok from OB and pediatrician first) -- benzyl peroxide maxiumum strength morning and night all over face, not jsut broken out area.

I am a HUGE dairy eater and there is a lot of information on dairy and acne link -- whether from iodine found in the non-orgnanic milk or hormones there does seemto be a connection. I switched to organic milk only and did find it to help a lot.

Before I got married I tried orth-tri-cyclen and that helped too but I was way to nauseus on that pill so the benefits did not outweigh how I felt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics