Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Big Brother - Orthodox Jew!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 9:16 pm
he got voted out - unanymously - so I'll stop watching

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 11:00 pm
He went out in a blaze of glory - almost like shimshon hagibor, throwing grenades on the way out. he shook up the house like crazy, the fallout will be felt all week.

check out this clip. and bye bye captain kosher. (I can post the other clips of where he gets voted out and the fallout of his speech if anyone is interested.)

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 11:07 pm
How is gossip, loshon hara, and humiliating others in public "a blaze of glory"?

Seriously, people are always worried about chillul hashem, how is this not chillul hashem?

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 11:11 pm
sequoia wrote:
How is gossip, loshon hara, and humiliating others in public "a blaze of glory"?

Seriously, people are always worried about chillul hashem, how is this not chillul hashem?

He has seen/heard it. It is not gossip, plus, it's Big Brother Twisted Evil

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 11:45 pm
Sequoia, this is Big Brother - loshon hora and rechilus are part of the game. He didnt go in there to make a kiddush hashem, but to play the game. I have bigger issues with him writing on shabbos during the POV, when he had said his Judaism will come before the game.

He will go down as one of the worst players in BB history but having made one of the best speeches in BB history.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 11:46 pm
So if doing wrong things is part of the game, then a frum Jew/any good person shouldn't participate in it.

JC

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 12:03 am
sequoia wrote:
So if doing wrong things is part of the game, then a frum Jew/any good person shouldn't participate in it.

And thats why we are wondering where his people were to keep him from having gone on this show in the first place!!

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 7:04 pm
I am on vacation now and I just saw the most hideous of all reality V shows...

Toddlers and Tiara's

It is like watching a car wreck--you simply cannot tear your eyes away from the horror of it all.

Then a few days later I discovered another horrible excuse for entertainment...

Jerseylicious!
AND again my hand just could NOT change channels...

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh what is our country coming to????????????

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 7:37 pm
chillax wrote:
Sooo I don't know how many of you watch Big Brother but they just revealed the house guests for this coming season. One of which is an Orthodox Jew. shock

I'm interested/a little nervous to see what'll happen with that.

He says he keeps kosher/Shabbos, will bring his own utensils and if a competition takes place on a Saturday than he won't be able to do it.
What does that mean though?? What about the actual food?
The show says that no special exceptions will be made for his religious beliefs when it comes to the game.
I wonder what that means when it comes to competitions on Shabbos, automatic doors, etc.
And I just hope he doesn't cause a chillul Hashem! The whole country watches this show and he's representing "orthodox Jews" supposedly... *SIGH*
well he just got eliminated last night!

kitov

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 12:30 am
Just wondering....

I've never watched MO so close, so watching andrew on the show was quite interesting for me, in terms of observance. I have a couple of questions, and am wondering if his acts represent MO or are just him, as to how much he wishes to observe.

1. I realized he only wore tzitzis during davening.

2. I've seen him many times w/o his yarmulka

3. I never saw him during shachris, but does he wear teffilin everyday? I assume if he would, it would be cool enough to be aired.

4. Shmiras Shabbos. MB claims the pov competition was on shabbos, if so, how do we explain his writing, unless someone else wrote for him?

de_goldy

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 12:32 am
Whew - so glad he got voted off. He was really not cut out for this came.

JC

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 12:53 am
kitov asked....

(I dont speak for Modern Orthodoxy, just for myself)

1. I realized he only wore tzitzis during davening.

I encourage my children to always wear tzitis, but only insist for davening, shabbat, school and a few other time.

2. I've seen him many times w/o his yarmulka
When I have seen him without it on his hand - he was holding it in his hand, and only on the last day when he was very stressed and fiddling with it nervously. Other times he was wearing a black one that was hard to detect

3. I never saw him during shachris, but does he wear teffilin everyday? I assume if he would, it would be cool enough to be aired.

I saw him on the live feed davening on Tisha B'Av but never watched when he was davening shacharit

4. Shmiras Shabbos. MB claims the pov competition was on shabbos, if so, how do we explain his writing, unless someone else wrote for him?

I did not see that at all, missed the whole POV thing, maybe it was after nightfall on Sat night? I hope.. as I said I didnt see it on the feeds or on the show so I can only hope it was not the case

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 12:56 am
Kitov, some people dont wear tzitzis all day.
He wore his yarmulke most of the time, he took them off for water competitions and sometimes forgot to put it back on right away.
I saw him on the live feed davening in his tefillin shacharis.
He said he wrote with a shinui, but frankly that's real chilul shabbos.
he is not a representation of all of Modern Orthodoxy.
In the extended interview with Julie he said he really wants to get married now Smile.
Hope his shidduch proposals come rolling in now.
He does have OCD and is socially awkward though> Good luck to him!

bnm

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 2:18 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Kitov, some people dont wear tzitzis all day.
He wore his yarmulke most of the time, he took them off for water competitions and sometimes forgot to put it back on right away.
I saw him on the live feed davening in his tefillin shacharis.
He said he wrote with a shinui, but frankly that's real chilul shabbos.
he is not a representation of all of Modern Orthodoxy.
In the extended interview with Julie he said he really wants to get married now Smile.
Hope his shidduch proposals come rolling in now.
He does have OCD and is socially awkward though> Good luck to him!

he knows how to clean and cook and cut his own toe nails, I think he is a great catch!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 1:31 pm
Watch this!

http://bit.ly/ab719F

You can understand from this why he was so out of his element. It's very hard for a frum jew to be in a house full of non Jews, with a non kosher kitchen, everyone is partying it up and talking about things he doesnt know about. He was ostracized and alienated just by virtue of being different. In the interview he chokes up talking about his father, his daughter, and get this - he broke up with his girlfriend because she's a teacher and he was afraid she would get repercussions if he was portrayed negatively in the house.

It's hard to explain to the general world the nuances of being frum, how it's so hard to fit in with the general public, no matter how hard you try. For his sake I'[m glad he's out already, 7 weeks in the jury house - and being in there over rosh hashana - would do him no good.

kitov

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 3:59 pm
Honestly, I liked andrew in the house. I specifically liked when britney would start kvetching him about the "shiksa shakdken" and enzo's new business of embroidered yarmulkas....

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 7:49 pm
Kitov, you got hooked onto live feed? how? lol
Looks like andrew got the last laugh, looks like kristen is going this week....

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 11:23 pm
by the way everyone, andrew is on twitter Smile.

http://www.twitter.com/Andrew_GonBB

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 1:13 am
Ha ha. I 'communicated' with him on twitter, asking him about his chilul shabbos with the POV.... his answer that the stress in the house got to him. whatever that means... lol

JC

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 8:24 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Ha ha. I 'communicated' with him on twitter, asking him about his chilul shabbos with the POV.... his answer that the stress in the house got to him. whatever that means... lol

I would just guess that it means he just felt he could not just sit it out, that somehow it was important to his life. The stress of being in the house, and the way it takes over your life probably made him 'think' that it was something he had to do... foolish - but I bet being in that house can play with your mind.

Probably not a proud moment Sad
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics