Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Teaneck
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 1:00 pm
What kind of community is Teaneck? Is it mostly MO or could a Yeshivish family find their place and be comfortable there?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 1:01 pm
yeshivish can fit in if connected to the yeshiva

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 1:26 pm
What makes Teaneck attractive? Any other northern Jersey cities an option? NY?
Personally, I have a soft spot for Teaneck. My first and only time there was for a simcha and the people are so warm. But yeah, it is largely MO, from what I can tell. Don't know what the ramifications are as far as schools, etc. are.

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 1:28 pm
amother wrote:
What kind of community is Teaneck? Is it mostly MO or could a Yeshivish family find their place and be comfortable there?

I love Teaneck--not only is it (WITHOUT TRAFFIC/NON-RUSH HOUR) only fifteen minutes from Manhattan, it's right off all major highways, etc. The main street is lovely--a whole bunch of kosher eateries/bakeries, Judaica stores, and a good/safe place to walk around.

I agree that Yeshivish could fit in, but call the shul or Yeshiva first to see the sense of community. For MO (Sephardi or Ashkenazi), most definitely.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 10:12 am
Other OP here.
What are the differences between the different neighborhoods in Teaneck?
I am also thinking of moving there.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 10:26 am
Bergenfield has a more right wing vibe.

I live south of cedar lane - its MO, really warm and friendly and we are really happy there.

2nd amother - what are you looking for?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 10:52 am
Define "yeshivish". If you want your kids to attend the local schools but would not be comfortable if a large percentage of kids have tvs and where there is a large percentage of frum women walking around in shorts and tank tops in the summer then I don't think you'd fit in here. If you are willing to send your kids off to school in another place and be "atypical" then you might like it. It's a nice place to live.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
Define "yeshivish". If you want your kids to attend the local schools but would not be comfortable if a large percentage of kids have tvs and where there is a large percentage of frum women walking around in shorts and tank tops in the summer then I don't think you'd fit in here. If you are willing to send your kids off to school in another place and be "atypical" then you might like it. It's a nice place to live.

Frum women in shorts and tank tops? Isn't that an oxymoron?

If someone in Teaneck sends their kids to another school, wouldn't it be weird for them if all their neighborhood friends went to the same school?

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:22 am
Ever hear of a frum woman who speaks lashon hara? Is she not frum because she doesn't follow that aspect of halacha?

In my neighborhood there are 4 schools kids go to - YNJ, Yavneh, Noam, Ben Porat plus Moriah is a possibility. Chances are their friends will be spread out anyway.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:27 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Ever hear of a frum woman who speaks lashon hara? Is she not frum because she doesn't follow that aspect of halacha?

In my neighborhood there are 4 schools kids go to - YNJ, Yavneh, Noam, Ben Porat plus Moriah is a possibility. Chances are their friends will be spread out anyway.

When someone speaks l"h it can be argued that it's a slip-up. It's a midah that one is trying to work on.

When someone picks out her wardrobe in the morning, she doesn't say "oy vey, I didn't mean for that tank top to slip off the shelf onto my body." She's making a statement that she doesn't believe in keeping a basic halacha.

elf123

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:28 am
amother wrote:

I think you are painting an EXTREMELY exaggerated picture. I have not seen any women dressed as you described recently. Are there modern orthodox people here, women who don't cover their hair and wear pants? Definitely. But shorts and tank tops? I literally cannot remember seeing anyone dressed like that. And I live here and send my kids to school here.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Frum women in shorts and tank tops? Isn't that an oxymoron?

If someone in Teaneck sends their kids to another school, wouldn't it be weird for them if all their neighborhood friends went to the same school?

are you serious? It's not an oxymoron in an MO community, which Teaneck is. It ranges from Left wing mo to right wing yu mo. I don't really understand why the people who send their kids out live here. Aside from the yeshiva people it is really only a handful of people who do that. I know some of them and I think they get a kick out of characterizing themselves as the "frummer" ones.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

When someone speaks l"h it can be argued that it's a slip-up. It's a midah that one is trying to work on.

When someone picks out her wardrobe in the morning, she doesn't say "oy vey, I didn't mean for that tank top to slip off the shelf onto my body." She's making a statement that she doesn't believe in keeping a basic halacha.

Not if its chronic.

OK, so lets talk about rampant tax evasion. Or molestation. Or anything else.

Besides the fact that it is a small minority.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:35 am
elf123 wrote:
amother wrote:

I think you are painting an EXTREMELY exaggerated picture. I have not seen any women dressed as you described recently. Are there modern orthodox people here, women who don't cover their hair and wear pants? Definitely. But shorts and tank tops? I literally cannot remember seeing anyone dressed like that. And I live here and send my kids to school here.

you are dead wrong. I grew up here so I know a lot of people. I can think of people on my block who dress like this and I live in bergenfield. Maybe you just assume they aren't frum but it is a very common way of dressing in the summer here among the cby and roemer crowd.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

That's what you believe. Other people interpret halacha differently OR choose to ignore certain aspects of halacha, just as most everyone but the biggest tzadikkim do. It all depends on your level. I would also like to know if there are still MO ladies walking around like that in Teaneck. I think it's sort of in the past but then again, I don't live in Teaneck.

elf123

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
elf123 wrote:
amother wrote:

you are dead wrong. I grew up here so I know a lot of people. I can think of people on my block who dress like this and I live in bergenfield. Maybe you just assume they aren't frum but it is a very common way of dressing in the summer here among the cby and roemer crowd.

Obviously I am not accusing you of lying, but I also live in Bergenfield and no one on my block or even in my neighborhood dresses this way. Obviously we aren't neighbors! Are we talking about a different generation of women? Although, I haven't seen any "older" women walking around dressed this way either. I know there is a wide range of people here, and I know my area is the "frummer" area, but specifically in terms of dress, I think most women here, even if I myself wouldn't dress the way they do, look more "presentable" than what you are describing.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 12:29 pm
I am the one who asked about the different neighborhoods. I hear people referring to different areas and wanted to know about them.

I was wondering if there were differences in frumkeit level or what schools the kids go to depending on which neighborhood someone lives on.

BUT, I wouldnt judge ppl only by their clothes only .

elf123

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 1:42 pm
OP, you can PM me if you want.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 2:22 pm
elf123 wrote:
amother wrote:
elf123 wrote:
amother wrote:

Obviously I am not accusing you of lying, but I also live in Bergenfield and no one on my block or even in my neighborhood dresses this way. Obviously we aren't neighbors! Are we talking about a different generation of women? Although, I haven't seen any "older" women walking around dressed this way either. I know there is a wide range of people here, and I know my area is the "frummer" area, but specifically in terms of dress, I think most women here, even if I myself wouldn't dress the way they do, look more "presentable" than what you are describing.

I am not lying. Obviously I won't name names but I think you are living in a bubble, or at least on one of those bungalow colony blocks. Was just out to lunch and there were two in the small restaurant. Another handful when I dropped my kids out at camp this morning. Dropped off someone else in front of Lazy Bean and saw another. I won't say that the majority or anything close to the majority dress this way, but there is a significant percentage. I have lived here for 20 years and I know enough people to know this is so.

OP, I wouldn't say there is a major difference in terms of frumness in one area versus the next. I think in Bergenfield you will have a greater percentage of women who cover their hair, but it is pretty mixed everywhere. And some of those who cover their hair do so fully, but a lot of people will show a tefach of hair on the bottom, a lot of people will show a lot of hair, a lot of people wear yarmulka falls so you can't tell that they are covering their hair at all. Many women cover their hair and wear skirts but wear short sleeves. I love this area, I think Teaneck/Bergenfield is a wonderful place, but if you live here you need to be prepared to be accepting of all different types.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 4:27 pm
I just wanted to say how funny it is to me to read all of these different things about teaneck as I grew up in teaneck and I always loved living there because there was such a diversed group of frum jews from the ladies who only wore wigs and stockings to the women who wore shorts (I never saw tank tops but very short sleeves I did see) and everyone got along. it was wonderful.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating