Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Taking newborn out in 100 deg weather
1  2  Next

Ashrei

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 8:42 pm
I have to pick my toddler up from playgroup tomorrow in the early afternoon tomorrow, when it'll be 100 degrees out. I have a 2 week old baby that I'll have to bring with me. Would you do it, or would you just keep your toddler home all day?

punktfarkert

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 8:50 pm
Driving or walking? How far?

new-here

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 8:51 pm
I would take the newborn along if the playgroup is not too far. Make sure s/he is not in direct sunlight.

twokids

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 9:03 pm
for me it would depend on how far the walk is, what time of day and if I had a light blanket with me also how gelous is the older child?

challi

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 9:43 pm
I've done that. Make sure you nurse or feed the baby before and after and check often to make sure the frontelle isn't sunken. More worrying for me though is you going out and walking a lot in 100 degree heat. 2 wks after giving birth dehydration is no joke. And yes for all those that say I'm a wimp :-) I'm not one of those mothers that lies in bed for weeks after bith, in fact I'm usually walking the hospital soon after. But 100 degrees.... that's hot and dangerous for regular people if you overdo it.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 10:03 pm
It makes me very angry I see too many frum mothers taking fair skinned babies out in the sun w/o a hat ...

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:
It makes me very angry I see too many frum mothers taking fair skinned babies out in the sun w/o a hat ...

LOL

Sorry for laughing, but what's hatless babies got to do with frum?

Ashrei

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:37 am
Hi, sorry I meant to say that the walk is about 10 minutes each way.

I'm nervous about doing it, I was thinking of taking a car service, although the 2 car seats would be annoying, and we'd still be in the heat for a few minutes. Any other insight?

(Thank you Challi for your advice and for caring about me. Smile Smile )

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:48 am
I imagine that if you plan your day around it, drink lots of water/something sugary and nurse your baby beforehand , and go right back to nurse your baby in an air conditioned house while you have another drink, it should be okay. And bring water with you. If you're already used to walking outdoors for almost that amount of time so soon after giving birth.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:51 am
Thanks. Naturally I'm more worried about the baby though.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:52 am
Is it possible to have a neighbor watch the baby for a total of 20 minutes?

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 9:07 am
amother wrote:

Some babies do pull off their hats you know.

DovDov

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 9:27 am
Ashrei wrote:
Thanks. Naturally I'm more worried about the baby though.

I think she wsa talking about your hydration so you'll have enough milk.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the heat, especially if you can stop in at the daycare for a few minutes to cool people off. I'd be more concerned about the air pollution warnings.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 9:35 am
Like dovdov said, if you decide to try it you should cool off at the babysitter for a few minutes before you head back home. If there are any stores on the way, I would stop there too. Babies heat up 3-5 times faster than we do, so it can be risky. If the baby is completely shaded and there is even a mild breeze, that would change the picture somewhat. If it's really hot and not breezy, with no stores to cool off in along the way, I don't think I would do it. But that's just me Smile

Merrymom

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:41 am
Isn't there a neighbor that you can trust to watch your baby for 20 minutes?

frimamom

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:51 am
I go to grocery, 15 min walk, and take along a bottle water and keep spraying some on ds face.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:51 am
ChutzPAh wrote:
amother wrote:

A 2 week old will not pull a hat off his head.

If you must go out with a newborn--keep something covering the stroller at all times--don't take the baby out. Don't wait outside the playgroup and have all the other mothers come over to peak into your stroller and "MUST SEE" the new baby....
Also, I hope you're bringing a double stroller and you're not expecting your toddler to walk in this heat.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:56 am
manhattanmom wrote:
ChutzPAh wrote:
amother wrote:

A 2 week old will not pull a hat off his head.

If you must go out with a newborn--keep something covering the stroller at all times--don't take the baby out. Don't wait outside the playgroup and have all the other mothers come over to peak into your stroller and "MUST SEE" the new baby....
Also, I hope you're bringing a double stroller and you're not expecting your toddler to walk in this heat.

My children do pull off their hats and gloves. Right about the 2 week old not doing it.

I just want to add to this, that I get upset when I repeatedly see babies with their faces fully exposed to the sun, eyes closed and head turned because the canopy is inadequate or not down at all. Please make sure that your child is shaded. I assume that the people I see doing this simply haven't thought about it so it's more of a PSA than anything else.

estibesty

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 1:49 pm
a little off topic but the car gets so hot when I strapped my little babe in her car seat today the metal belts totally burnt her so this heat a bummer all the ways you put it

Ashrei

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 3:49 pm
One of our neighbors did come through for us. Regarding neighbors, everyone works or has their own issues it seems... We're very blessed that this came through! After I was outside for a little while, I was really happy that I didn't have to take him out.

We're faced with the same issue tomorrow, and every day that it'll be this scorching since my daughter is going to 'camp.' I'm thinking of keeping her home because of this, on days that are over 90. (85? What do you think?)

I don't have a double stroller, I have a sit and stand stroller, so my plan was to have her stand while I wheel them, as I spray the newborn with water and keep a cold wash cloth on his face. (had a bucket of ice water, wash cloths, and a misty spray bottle under the stroller all ready to go) And PLENTY of coverage and shade from the canopies (from the stroller and car seat the baby would be in)

I've never seen babies in situations like you were describing, un-shaded etc. Hope I never do!

Thanks for everyone's insight. I'll keep checking in case more advice pops up.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics