Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Types of Housing in Lakewood
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 7:47 pm
I consider moving to Lakewood and am researching housing options. So far, my impression is that there are 2 most common types (excluding houses, which are out of our price range, and less-than-3-br apts that are too small):
a) 5-br 2-floor townhouses $1600+ (only 2 options at 1400)
b) 3-br basement apartments $850-1150.

I wonder if there is anything in between in terms of both size and pricing. Say, a 3-br (or more) apt but not in a basement, with a back yard or deck or some other outdoor space for kids. Also, that it should be cheaper than what townhouses run for. I know there are 3-br ones in Coventry but they are way too small for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks

YoMom

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:06 pm
Yes, there are small townhouses in Coventry or Lakeview ( not sure abt the pricing there) that have 3-4 bedrooms, a small yard, and are very much above-groung, neighbor oriented places. I think Coventry rents for $1300 and up, not 100% sure, but look into it....

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:09 pm
Wow, I didn't know you can still get a 5 bedroom house for 1600. That probably doesn't include utilities. Large houses like these have high gas, electric, water bills and in some places the tenant has to pay unlike basement apartments where the tenant only pays for phone bill.

BTW, Coventry has a larger, 4 bedroom option too but for the same amount of $ rent you can get a beautiful new townhouse and since the Coventry houses are so old the utility bills are SKY HIGH.

I don't know of any apartments on the ground floor. The only thing I can think of is a Spruce Street house. They have several bedrooms and a HUGE backyard as well. Don't know how much $ though.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:11 pm
Don't they have condos like that in Westgate? 2 floors, 3-4 bedrooms, with a little deck. I'm guessing they must cost less than a townhouse.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:15 pm
1. From my research, the tenant pays utilities in both basements and townhouses.
2. I did see a 3-br one in Coventry, and it's tiny.
3. $1600 is for a townhouse, and it doesn't include utilities.

Any other ideas?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:17 pm
Oh, and I've seen ads only for 2-br apts in Westgate, the only bigger option was a townhouse available only for short-term. I've looked in Masa u'Matan. Is there any other place to look for rentals? BP and Lakewood smth. had only ads for sale.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:
I've looked in Masa u'Matan. Is there any other place to look for rentals?

The Voice, The Shopper, the bulletin boards in yeshiva Very Happy

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
Oh, and I've seen ads only for 2-br apts in Westgate, the only bigger option was a townhouse available only for short-term. I've looked in Masa u'Matan. Is there any other place to look for rentals? BP and Lakewood smth. had only ads for sale.

I think Westgate does a lot of rentals directly through the development company. It's probably worth contacting them directly if you would be interested in renting there.

SingALong

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 8:39 pm
A lot of basements are in developments that have large spaces for kids to play. In my neighborhood many tenants are out with their kids and there's a park.
Masa umatan I think is best place to look but there's also BP

amother

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 11:44 pm
What type of crowd lives in Westgate?

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 12:16 am
I would not advise anyone to move to a basement the houses are made terrible and its so noisy on shabb afternoon your trying ot take a nice shabb nap and you have balls and bikes on you rhead and thats at 6 a.m. too and basements are like $1000. how about this new develmpent up the 9 chesterfeild commens there huge 5 bedroom townhouses for prob 1300. but in any case youll get more for your money here then in NY

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 12:17 am
oh and westgate has 1000 familys so its not a type its a lot of very yeshivish and then a ton of every other type.

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 12:18 am
SingALong wrote:
A lot of basements are in developments that have large spaces for kids to play. In my neighborhood many tenants are out with their kids and there's a park.
Masa umatan I think is best place to look but there's also BP

I would not advise someone with kids above age 2 to move to a basement there is no room for them to play

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 12:58 am
Right, you're for sure getting MUCH more than in NY for the same money. The question is if it's possible to pay less than the $1500 one pays in NY for an apt (not basement)... 1300 for a townhouse would probably turn into 1600-1700 with all utility bills, wouldn't it? How much would heat/water/gas bill be for a townhouse?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 1:00 am
op here: I've been told that "there are basements and there are basements". Some are regular, others are supposedly with 4 steps down with full size windows and 9' ceilings, just like a regular apt. I haven't seen any properties yet but does it make sense to you NJ'ers? With noise it's probably the same for a basement as it is for any other lower-than-the-top floor?..

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 8:53 am
Try the new place on Massachusetts ave south of Elmwood or Chestnut area

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 9:25 am
Quote:
op here: I've been told that "there are basements and there are basements". Some are regular, others are supposedly with 4 steps down with full size windows and 9' ceilings, just like a regular apt. I haven't seen any properties yet but does it make sense to you NJ'ers? With noise it's probably the same for a basement as it is for any other lower-than-the-top floor?..

No it's not the same. NY houses are built to house people on multiple floors, so the insulation and building materials are much stronger and would block out much more noise. In Lakewood the houses are built much more cheaply and with less (and sometimes no) insulation. Many of the rentals are not legal so they are not built with multi-family needs in mind. Even in Queens Gardens and other such buildings, I heard that the noise is terrible.

small bean

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 9:27 am
you could find basements like that. depends what area.

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
Try the new place on Massachusetts ave south of Elmwood or Chestnut area
\

those beacon ridge houses are HUGE thell rent for 2000 prob before utilities
and also so the way it usually works with utilities is the basement pays 1/3 and hte upstairs pays 2/3 of the gas,electric/etc. so depending on the month ALSO there is heap its gov program thatpays a percent s the utliteisepending on your income
OP hoe many kids do you have and how old are they?

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 10:06 am
if coventry 3 bedroom are WAY to small then forget about a basement you need a 5 bedroom townhouse and like I said in the previous post CHESTERFIELD is way up the 9 so the 5 bdr townhouses are going for very cheap
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating