Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Types of Housing in Lakewood
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 11:23 am
Personally I would rather a 3 bedroom + Den in Coventry then a 3 bedroom basement apartment. First of all you have your own yard off of the house.
Also, you have 2 floors so once the kids go to sleep you don't have to wisper and it is not as much on top of each other.

I find Basement apartments very claustraphobic, even if they are large. No matter how high the ceilings are, how well insulated, how large the windows, you are still in a basement. With people living above you.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 11:59 am
op here
I have 3 kids ka'h, the oldest is 5.
What I would like to have is a play area so toys don't end up scattered ALL over the place the way I have it now - I want to be able to put them in one area, out of the view. It just becomes frustrating to be picking up stuff all day long, and irritating too.
I also need a den/study/office to lock up my computer and bring in a client.
Outdoor space is crucial - that's one of the main reasons for the possible move. In NY, there's no room at all, and it gets very hard to get outside. Basically, you have to watch them every single moment if you take them "on the porch", which is just a sidewalk right by the road. No going inside to use the bathroom, no nursing the baby, no housework, no nothing. In the end, kids end up staying home all the time. A deck or enclosed yard would be ideal. No such thing in NY unless for tons of $$, which is not an option.

P.S. I didn't know there are 3br+den in Coventry. I've seen a 3-br unit there, and the owner said it was the biggest in the development. Downstairs was a kitchen (not an EIK for a family of 5), and one big room- a LR I guess. But where do I put the kids' toys? If I make one br into a playroom then I don't have an office etc.
Utilities seemed high for someone who barely lives in the house: around $220 for a single person who mamash only sleeps there and takes shower, and goes away for all the shabbatot and yamim tovim.

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 12:39 pm
yup if I had 3 kids already I woulnt move into a coventry or basement id go for a townhouse (it has a playroup off the kitchen) the kids WILL LOVE it they can ride there bikes run around with friends all day but yes the utlities are going to be pricey and rent recently sky rocketed in lakewood 5 yrs ago a townhouse went for 1100 a month

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 1:18 pm
Estibesty, how much do you think average monthly utility bills could amount to?
And, again, is there no middleway type of housing, in terms of cost and size?

Kugel lover

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 3:49 pm
I think Chesterfield is going for 1350-1400 & they have a porch & a playroom. Also if you do look into townhouses, the end units utilities end up being more than the middle units.

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 5:05 pm
gosh water like $80 for my family of 5. I dont live in a 5 bedroom mines 3 bd we blast our AC but ours could reach $300 int the mid summer and thats without gas wich could be lets see im not sure but summer months like $50. but I tell you you have 3 kids and you want space so look into a this development chesterfield you might be able to rent for 1300. 5 BDRS a study and playroup and a deck.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 6:01 pm
What is the heat bill in winter months?

estibesty

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 10:16 pm
dunno cuz I get heap and so its cheaper for me sorry

amother

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 3:31 pm
Are bills likely to be higher in a ranch-type house that's smack in the middle of the town?

small bean

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 3:33 pm
what's the house made out of. I have a ranch, the utilities are pretty low bec it's made of stone. it really depends how well the house in insulated.

estibesty

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 10:35 am
what is smack in middle of the town mean? do you mean main part of lakewood like yeshiva area or do you mean smack in middle block?

mamaleh

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 1:07 pm
Kugel lover wrote:
Also if you do look into townhouses, the end units utilities end up being more than the middle units.

This is true but the end units have more windows wich means that it's easier to get good circulation in mid-temp months. I find that my (non-end) neighbors need their a/c at times when my windows are open and I have a great breezze coming in cooling my house. Also I get alot more natural light so my lights are not on as much. I don't know if it evens out, but it is something to keep in mind. It also depends how close the next set of houses is. Some are very close, some have alot of space.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
op here
I have 3 kids ka'h, the oldest is 5.
What I would like to have is a play area so toys don't end up scattered ALL over the place the way I have it now - I want to be able to put them in one area, out of the view. It just becomes frustrating to be picking up stuff all day long, and irritating too.
I also need a den/study/office to lock up my computer and bring in a client.
Outdoor space is crucial - that's one of the main reasons for the possible move. In NY, there's no room at all, and it gets very hard to get outside. Basically, you have to watch them every single moment if you take them "on the porch", which is just a sidewalk right by the road. No going inside to use the bathroom, no nursing the baby, no housework, no nothing. In the end, kids end up staying home all the time. A deck or enclosed yard would be ideal. No such thing in NY unless for tons of $$, which is not an option.

P.S. I didn't know there are 3br+den in Coventry. I've seen a 3-br unit there, and the owner said it was the biggest in the development. Downstairs was a kitchen (not an EIK for a family of 5), and one big room- a LR I guess. But where do I put the kids' toys? If I make one br into a playroom then I don't have an office etc.
Utilities seemed high for someone who barely lives in the house: around $220 for a single person who mamash only sleeps there and takes shower, and goes away for all the shabbatot and yamim tovim.

I live in a 3 bedroom in Conventry and I am moving for the exact reasons you wrote here!
I am going to rent in a duplex (5 bdrm plus finished attic so another two) for 1700. I have seen townhouses that are 1600 though.
Like the posters before you I can say that probably you will get the most for your money in Chesterfield as it's out of it and they built SOO many houses so they are keepign the prices cheaper.
Intrestingly, I am going to be spending LESS in utilities in my new house because the house is much more energy efficent and more insulated then this old coventry house.

estibesty

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 5:18 pm
pine river gardens is supposed to be a g8 crowd above imamother Wink

ronbonboo

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 9:58 am
There are basements and there are basements. My friend has a 3 bedroom basement, it has 2 bathrooms, and a massive kitchen!!!!! I would say turn the 2nd bedroom into a playroom/office. Get a shelving unit like those cubes where you can get 16 cubes, the toys don't have to be organized just away. She pays $850 a month and it's legal so +utilities. She had no complaints about the family upstairs, she has a parking space in their driveway and uses their yard.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 3:41 pm
ronbonboo wrote:
There are basements and there are basements. My friend has a 3 bedroom basement, it has 2 bathrooms, and a massive kitchen!!!!! I would say turn the 2nd bedroom into a playroom/office. Get a shelving unit like those cubes where you can get 16 cubes, the toys don't have to be organized just away. She pays $850 a month and it's legal so +utilities. She had no complaints about the family upstairs, she has a parking space in their driveway and uses their yard.

Where is this basement and when did she rent it? Haven't seen a basement rental below $1000 for ages now (and talking about small ones-not big 3 BR ones, which are more like 1300+utilities)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating