Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Sternberg Kokosh Cake
1  2  Next

drez

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 3:40 pm
Anyone who went knows what I mean!! Anyone have a recipe or anything close... Or any really good recipe for that matter. TIA

small bean

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 3:43 pm
I know what you mean. I have no clue how to make such a good one and never tasted anything as good store bought. I always wonder if it was only so good bec there were so few pieces.

SorGold

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 3:44 pm
I think it was bought,,,but oh so yum

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:01 pm
Is it in Grandma's cookbook? Sorry I can't look it up now.

Kivi's Mommy

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:06 pm
oooo you got me so in the mood... cinnamon kokush with milk ahhhhhhhhhhh

drez

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:12 pm
PinkFridge, please share whenever you have a chance. Thanks

kokoshpro

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:23 pm
To all of you craving the REAL Hungarian kokosh:
I just made a five pound batch last night and it came out exactly like my mother's! And if you would taste my mother's kokosh you would know what good kokosh really is. So here's the recipe:

DOUGH:
5 lbs. flour
4 oz yeast (5 TBS dry) activated in
2 C. warm water (with some of the sugar)
1 C. Orange juice
2 C. sugar
2 C. seltzer
2 C. oil
2 eggs
6 yolks
1 stick margarine (I sometimes skip this out and add 1/2 a cup of oil and it's really fine)

Mix all ingredients well (abt 10 mins) and let rise for 1/2 and hr.

FILLING
2 C. cocoa
2 C. icing sugar
4 C. sugar
1 pkg instant choc pudding
4 pkgs vanilla powder

Roll out pieces of dough to desired size and 1/4 in. thickness. Smear some oil onto the entire surface. Sprinkle on the filling - be generous, theres plenty. At this point you can cut slices and lay the pieces flat on a cookie sheet to make rugelach. I like it b/c I can always take out a few pieces from the freezer as needed and I don't have to start a whole roll.
Bake at 350 for about 20-35 mins, depending on size.

Hope you try it and ENJOY! My husband is always begging me to make it and yours will too!
Gut Shabbos! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

goldapoe

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:30 pm
kokoshpro wrote:
To all of you craving the REAL Hungarian kokosh:
I just made a five pound batch last night and it came out exactly like my mother's! And if you would taste my mother's kokosh you would know what good kokosh really is. So here's the recipe:

DOUGH:
5 lbs. flour
4 oz yeast (5 TBS dry) activated in
2 C. warm water (with some of the sugar)
1 C. Orange juice
2 C. sugar
2 C. seltzer
2 C. oil
2 eggs
6 yolks
1 stick margarine (I sometimes skip this out and add 1/2 a cup of oil and it's really fine)

Mix all ingredients well (abt 10 mins) and let rise for 1/2 and hr.

FILLING
2 C. cocoa
2 C. icing sugar
4 C. sugar
1 pkg instant choc pudding
4 pkgs vanilla powder

Roll out pieces of dough to desired size and 1/4 in. thickness. Smear some oil onto the entire surface. Sprinkle on the filling - be generous, theres plenty. At this point you can cut slices and lay the pieces flat on a cookie sheet to make rugelach. I like it b/c I can always take out a few pieces from the freezer as needed and I don't have to start a whole roll.
Bake at 350 for about 20-35 mins, depending on size.

Hope you try it and ENJOY! My husband is always begging me to make it and yours will too!
Gut Shabbos! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing. What is "vanilla powder"? I've been baking for many years and never came across this. Is it vanilla sugar? vanilla pudding? Thanks.

kokoshpro

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:31 pm
So sorry... I meant vanilla sugar. embarrassed embarrassed

elf123

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:32 pm
Kokoshpro, do you mix by hand or in a mixer? And if you sub. oil for margarine, do you mean you use 2 1/2 cups oil total?

SorGold

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:34 pm
5lb whooa that seems like alot. How many loaves does it make? Can I halve the recipe?

kokoshpro

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:35 pm
I mix with a mixer. If you wanna mix by hand, I guess do it as you would do your challah dough, I would just suggest making half a recipe. Five pounds makes quite alot of dough.
And yes, total of 2 1/2 cups oil.

elf123

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:50 pm
Last question (bli neder!): by "icing sugar" I assume you mean confectioners sugar?

kokoshpro

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 4:56 pm
Yes, same thing, icing sugar, confectioners sugar, powdered sugar...
Also, you can halve the recipe no problem, works just as well.

ysydmom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 5:31 pm
I use my leftover challah dough and make a mix of sugar, coco, cinnamen, sometimes I add a bit of hot water, you can also add nuts or raisins enjoy!

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 5:34 pm
The last I had it was as a jc in the late 1980s! Did they use the same recipe all the years? Shabbos mornings, yum!

Tapuzi

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 5:35 pm
I am pretty sure it was Green's believe it or not. But it was fresh! I will never forget my bunk of bad girls in Heller every Shabbos morning fighting over who would go up to breakfast and smuggle a huge long loaf back to the bunk so the rest of us could sleep in! We were so bad but had soooo much fun!

sugarplum

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 5:45 pm
what does 4 pckgs vanilla sugar mean do ypu mean 4 tsp?

ysydmom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 5:54 pm
I miss that cake, it was yummy!

May

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 6:13 pm
I'm disappointed.. when I opened this thread I thought I would find the recipe. I don't think it was store bought. IIRC, when I worked in the Sternberg kitchens I think I was told that the cook in Magen Av makes it and sends it up to Sternberg every Friday. It's possible they did different things different years, but the years I was there it was better than store bought.
Also, PinkFridge I have Grandmas cookbook and I don't think the recipe is in there, which would make sense b/c I don't think she made it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins