Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Tips on Building a House

new-here

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:41 pm
I will iyh start the planning stage of building a house. If this is something you have experience with, I'd love to hear your tips and advice. Please share!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 10:36 am
When you plan your staircases, have a railing on each side.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 12:31 pm
It is better to do quality work even you have to do less thanks because it will cost more.

red sea

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 2:50 pm
Never built a house at all but this is stuff I have heard.

First a story, I sometimes drive by this house that is the saddest thing to see. All the materials are clearly the most expensive. Fanciest windows, doors, gates, etc Its not thtat old. The whole thing is falling apart. Everything. They must've skimped on the quality of workers, so I would put the quality of construction as #1, see their OLD jobs to see how they withstood the test of time.

Pay close attention to the foundation, and its waterproofing. If they mess up on that, oh boy.

Make sure they are careful with materials that got wet, not to be cheap and use anyway what they shouldn't - you do not want mold in your brand new house.

Also go on word of mouth rec's on easy to work with contractors & architect personalities because even with the best of them you'll be going thru the ringer.

Pay close attention to the tiny small details because those are what will stick out most to you if you do them wrong. Start shopping for the small things way way way in advance - in fact if s/o is decorating other than yourself best have them in on it from the get go. If you have all that ready it will go much faster.

Most expensive words are "Once were at it we may as well"

Expect to go at least 25% over budget.

Try to stick with the architectural style surrounding you if you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

Cant say if the advice is good but What if it helps at all great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics