Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is it important to buy shoes immediately when baby starts wa
1  2  Next

Basimcha

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:24 pm
My ds started taking steps several weeks ago. Since then he is doing both crawling and walking. How important is it to get him shoes immediately? I am away for a few weeks and not sure about the way the store fits here. He is mostly indoors or when I am outside he is in the carriage. I am wondering is it important for him to get his first pair of shoes right away? Is it ok if he just walks around indoors with booties? Will it effect his walking? Or should I get him his shoes already?

frimamom

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:34 pm
If you buy high top shoes it can help.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:44 pm
Basimcha wrote:
My ds started taking steps several weeks ago. Since then he is doing both crawling and walking. How important is it to get him shoes immediately? I am away for a few weeks and not sure about the way the store fits here. He is mostly indoors or when I am outside he is in the carriage. I am wondering is it important for him to get his first pair of shoes right away? Is it ok if he just walks around indoors with booties? Will it effect his walking? Or should I get him his shoes already?
our pediatrician told us davka NOT to buy a pair of shoes until my daughter was exclusively walking (we bought a pair when she was walking - and crawling - for about a month or so) because it helps the foot that way, for children to learn how to walk on their soles.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:47 pm
I also learned if anything, it's better to wait until they are full-on walking before getting shoes. (I'd have them in Robeez, etc. as I consider those heavy-duty socks more than shoes.)

ykn21

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:48 pm
I agree with shabbatiscoming.
From what I've heard it is best to wait till your child is walking and steady on his/her feet before buying shoes.
It's not something that has specific timing so no harm in waiting till you can have your child fitted properly.

Plonis

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 5:26 pm
Agreed. No urgency involved at all!

MommyZ

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 6:28 pm
I agree I also heard it's better for infants/young toddlers to learn to walk bare foot or in soft soled shoes.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 6:35 pm
Shoes are for walking outside.

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 10:57 pm
Emmanuel Tzvi started walking in early August; he had shoes within a week. He was 17 months old and was WALKING, inside and out.

Shai started walking mid-February; he got shoes in April (Yom haZikaron, when I had a chance to go!). He was 16 months old and only walking inside; non-slip socks were sufficient.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 1:58 am
I davka wait as long as I can before getting the shoes. I hate wearing shoes- they're too confining even for me K"V a baby who's used to going barefoot for months.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 2:14 am
I agree. Shoes are for protecting the feet when walking outside. Mine all wore soft shoes only for as long as I could get away with it. Even after they have shoes, I prefer they not wear them except walking outside to protect the feet.

mamommommy

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 9:32 am
I had to take one of my ds's to an orthopedist at about 18 months (almost 6 months after he started walking) and while I was there, I asked the Dr. about baby shoes (my ds would scream if I put real shoes on him and he only would wear Robeez or, for outside, these cheap canvas sneakers that I bought that has no support at all) and the Dr. said that aside from being barefoot, those were the best things for a baby's feet! So no, I don't think thre's any great rush to get shoes,

DovDov

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 10:16 am
Absolutely not at all.

Much better to walk barefoot. You can get leather "crawling shoes" for outside if you're worried about getting cut, but at home barefoot is best.

mother48

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 10:37 am
better to learn witout shoes. try robeez or pedipeds

Basimcha

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 11:15 am
Tnx so much for all your replies!

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 11:37 am
Yeah, the only people that tell you to buy the shoes early, "so the baby gets used to wearing shoes," are the people at the shoe store.

Physical Therapists, Pediatricians, everyone else says to wait. That bare foot is best, as it teaches them to grip the ground with their toes and the bottom of their feet and to balance better. Next is Robees or, I get the Target brand because they fit my baby's little potatoes better. After they are fully walking, you move on to shoes.

mama-star

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 2:06 pm
no, let the kid be barefoot for as long as possible

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 2:09 pm
In my world many babies have shoes much before standing up.

Inspired

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 2:11 pm
mama-star wrote:

ITA.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 2:15 pm
mama-star wrote:

I agree. My baby is almost 2 and still spends most of the day blissfully barefoot. My girls tend to remove their shoes and run around in tights when I'm not looking.

As for me, that was one of the hardest things to get used to when becoming frum. I grew up barefoot. When I started wearing tights, I still wanted to run around in the tights without shoes because it was so much more comfortable for me. People kept pointing out the reason not to and I managed to train myself to shoes, but am somewhat consoled by wearing house slippers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics