Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby teeth pushed back in accident,go to dentist?

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 3:55 am
two of my baby's four top front teeth were pushed back yesterday in a fall. His lip was bleeding a lot so I didn't notice right away that his teeth got moved. Today I see that one side of his top front teeth are pushed back, I gently touched the pushed back teeth (gently pushed them forward) and they started to bleed, so I know I am not imagining the change.

Is there anything a pediatric dentist could do for him? Will his older teeth grow into this same new crooked position if these baby teeth are left this way? Like does the hole made by the baby teeth determine where the adult teeth come out?

What would you reccomend? What has been your experience? BTW my baby is only 17months.

jackiejoel3

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 4:06 am
It can't hurt to call a dentist. My DS bottom grownup teeth grew in behind his baby teeth and he had 2 sets for a few weeks. I called the dentist and he said no problem when the baby teeth fall out the tongue will push them forward ( I had my doubts) but that is exactly what happened ( I guess thats why he's the dentist and I'm not Very Happy ) so you don't need to worry about the grownup teeth growing in wrong because of the baby teeth but a call never hurt in case its digging into his gum or something and it is hurting him.

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 4:11 am
Ok,thank you for that. DS doesn't seem to have any pain from it, only obviously when I pushed on them...He is eating regularly and everything.

I don't know how the dental system works here since we recently made aliyah. Anyone able to tell me about it? Is kupat cholim covering it? I would be happy to just call apediatric dentist and ask my question if possible but I don't know where to start.

Rodent

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 6:38 am
I would definitely get them checked if they've actually moved like that.
Be aware that there is a good chance that those teeth will turn grey which means that the nerve is dead. My son walked into a bar, his teeth didn't bleed or move but one of them turned grey. When I looked into it it said that unless it became painful/infected there wasn't anything that could be done and they prefer to leave them there for spacing reasons so we didn't take him in. Seems that it's fairly common. I would have taken him in your situation though.

baba

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 11:14 am
Yes, go. My dd had this when she was 2.5. We went to the dentist and they took an x-ray. It did turn greyish in the beginning and was pointed inwards quite a bit. The dentist wanted another check up a few months later just to check it again. By then it was getting better. It was much lighter already. Now, a little over a year later, you can barely notice the color difference and it's only slightly crooked.
Good luck!

DovDov

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 12:33 pm
A friend's two-year-old fell off a chair and her top two teeth got pushed all the way back into her gum -- so not out of place, but so far back that they weren't even visible between the swelling and the movement.

The dentist said to leave it alone. Within a month, they had moved back down again. One of them did turn grey but the other is fine.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 12:34 pm
Please.... RUN to the dentist!!!!

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 12:44 pm
YES!!!!!!!!!!! Go!

Seriously, why is that even a question for imamother?

estibesty

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 12:55 pm
call dentist better safe then sorry

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 1:36 pm
In answer to the question about the kupah, Macabbi covers dental until 5, and Meuchedit until 12 (I think). Not sure about the other two. You have to make sure the dentist works with the kupah though. If not you might get some money reimbursed, but not all. Yes, take her to the dentist.

mominlkwd

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 1:39 pm
This happened to my son and we took him to the dr. as soon as we realized ( happened at babysitter who just told us oh he fell and he's been really kvetchy since) which was a few hours later. Dr. said we could go to the dentist but there is really nothing to do, either they will turn gray or not. His teeth never turned gray but they stayed up there until they fell out - one has still waiting for the other. Also the Dr. told us to give him soft foods for a few days so as not to damage or loosen it more. It's really painful for them so I would say give tylenol as much as needed, or it's equivilant with the recall now.

baba

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 1:46 pm
Oh, I missed the part of you being in Israel.
We had a very hard time finding a pediatric dentist that took kids under the age of 5. In the end we were referred to dr. Kupietzky. He was amazing. Has a lot of props and first shows what he's going to do on a stuffed animal, then on the parent and only then on the child. He gave dd a balloon and when she went back the second time she remembered him as the balloon man!
I dont remember exactly how much we paid, it wasnt completely coverd by the kuppa.
http://drkup.com/

baba

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 1:48 pm
mominlkwd wrote:
This happened to my son and we took him to the dr. as soon as we realized ( happened at babysitter who just told us oh he fell and he's been really kvetchy since) which was a few hours later. Dr. said we could go to the dentist but there is really nothing to do, either they will turn gray or not. His teeth never turned gray but they stayed up there until they fell out - one has still waiting for the other. Also the Dr. told us to give him soft foods for a few days so as not to damage or loosen it more. It's really painful for them so I would say give tylenol as much as needed, or it's equivilant with the recall now.

I was told they really do have to check to see if there was any nerve damage.

mominlkwd

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 1:52 pm
baba wrote:
mominlkwd wrote:

I was told they really do have to check to see if there was any nerve damage.

Could be. I'm trying to remember if we went to the dentist or not - it was like 10 years ago so I'm not sure. I think we did go and they confirmed what the dr. said but I didn't want to write that without being sure. I would say go to the dentist just to be sure since even with everyone's opinions every case is different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics