Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Bugs

Chippies

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 7:42 pm
I'd like some advice as to how to deal with a new issue that recently arose. I have an irrational fear of pretty much all bugs and spiders, and I have done my absolute best to avoid passing that fear on to my baby. After my initial jump when I see one, I then say something like, "oh, hi spider" and I try to avoid killing them in front of him.

Well, now at 19 months of age, my DS is certainly not afraid of any insect. In fact, he loves them. This is my issue. He'll get down on the floor with them with his face about a centimetre away and say, "hi hi bug" and then point to the bug and say, "nose....eyes!" with much enthusiasm. He also started to take his food and sippy cup and try to feed the bugs. This is getting out of hand! I mean, it's really cute, but I don't enjoy cleaning up the messes...and I also find it very very gross and disturbing! But the thing is that I don't want him to develop a fear of them. We currently have an ant problem, so we're dealing with this issue constantly.

How do I find a medium ground? I don't want my son scared of bugs, but I don't want him feeding them either!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 7:57 pm
maybe he'd like a pet.

mindyme

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 8:09 pm
Sorry, but this is very normal for the age, and for boys in general. Is he your first ds? If so, welcome to the world of boys...it's a whole different universe than girls!!!
Try to go with it. Maybe tell him "bugs don't eat pple food", or tell him no food cuz it's messy, but I think it's sweet. It's way better than stage 2, where they say "HI BUG!!!", then squish it with their shoe (or finger!!!)
Maybe he can transfer his attentions to a small doll/animal? Of course, bugs ARE more interesting...
Enjoy!! Rolling Eyes

MissEss

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 8:09 pm
I am not a "fan" of bugs, but I think that is so cute! I was laughing as I read your post because I have a 23 month old DD and I just laugh all day at what she says and does. Regardless, I think you need to not make a big deal out of it, and if he sees a bug, just say something like, "Bye-bye bug" and have him wave bye, or explain to him that the bug is going to sleep or going home now. Just keep it short and not make a big issue out of it, and hopefully it'll pass quickly and it'll be onto the next shtick!

Chippies

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 8:29 pm
Haha, yes, he's my first. And he really is such a character. I kind of look forward to stage two if he squishes them with his shoes...but I'm not sure if I'd be able to deal with finger squishing. I'll try shifting his attention towards a doll or something - thanks, that's a good suggestion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics