Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meat Bourekas - Gatherings

LoveMy2Kids

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 8:42 am
I keep meaning to buy this cookbook, but other expenses keep coming up. Does anyone have the recipe for the Meat Bourekas from Gatherings and is kind enough to take a few minutes to post it? TIA!!!

imb316

Post Fri, Aug 20 2010, 11:00 am
If it's not too late, here it is.

1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 egg separated
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1-1/2 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 (17.3 oz.) pkgs. puff pastry, thawed
1/4cup honey mustard
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 350
in bowl mix beef, egg yolk, bread crumbs,tom sauce, parsley and spices
Put oil in pan and add beef mixture. fry on med until cooked - app 10-15 min
roll out puff pastry into a rectangle with 1/4" thickness. cut into 2 inch squares. spread honey mustard in center of each square and spoon 1 teaspoon of meat mixture on top. fold into triangles and press closed. place on greased cookie sheet. brush beaten egg whites on top and sprinke with sesame seeds.
bake 350 for app. 15 to 20 min until brown

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 1:12 pm
I like the sound of this recipe -- couple of questions though:

Do you usually serve this as an appetizer or a side dish?

I'd like to make it as an appetizer, but I think it will look too plain on the plate -- any ideas how to dress it up (even something to drizzle on the plate under it would be good)?

Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:32 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I like the sound of this recipe -- couple of questions though:

Do you usually serve this as an appetizer or a side dish?

I'd like to make it as an appetizer, but I think it will look too plain on the plate -- any ideas how to dress it up (even something to drizzle on the plate under it would be good)?

Thanks.
How about drizzling honey mustard sauce on the plate? Spooning mushroom or a tomato sauce sauce over the boureka? Or laying the boureka over thinly sliced ir julienne vegetables?

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
How about drizzling honey mustard sauce on the plate? Spooning mushroom or a tomato sauce sauce over the boureka? Or laying the boureka over thinly sliced ir julienne vegetables?

I don't want to do mushroom sauce as I've got other appetizers using it and I don't care for the tomato suace or veggies.

Honey mustard sauce sounds good -- how would you make it?

Thanks.

Bella:D

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:38 pm
You could just buy honey mustard or you could mix regular mustard with honey. I like to use whole grain mustard, it looks cool.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:45 pm
Like Bella:D said, just combine 1 part honey and 1 part mustard. Put into a squeeze bottle and make pretty zig zags on the plate before placing the boureka on top.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Like Bella:D said, just combine 1 part honey and 1 part mustard. Put into a squeeze bottle and make pretty zig zags on the plate before placing the boureka on top.

Sorry, I didn't see her reply before posting that question.

Thanks again.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:22 pm
I made these (and frozen before baking) -- served a few on RH (rest are for Sukkos), but I had a problem with the honey-mustard sauce to decorate the plate. I put it in a squeeze bottle, but it was too thick to squeeze a neat zig-zag -- it came out in blobs. For next time, how should I thin it down to get it to squeeze out neatly?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:47 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I made these (and frozen before baking) -- served a few on RH (rest are for Sukkos), but I had a problem with the honey-mustard sauce to decorate the plate. I put it in a squeeze bottle, but it was too thick to squeeze a neat zig-zag -- it came out in blobs. For next time, how should I thin it down to get it to squeeze out neatly?
Sometimes if you bring the sauce to real room temperature (or maybe even warm it if you have to) it will thin on its own. If not, you can use oil to thin down the sauce. (Place all ingredients into a small covered container or bottle, and shake vigorously until smooth and incorporated.)
But if you just want thinner lines to make neat zig-zag's, cut a tiny hole in a baggie before YT, and then use that to squeeze the lines out of.
Whichever method you decide to use, give it a test run now before YT, to see if it works for you.

mom71

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:50 pm
oot bubby... Did you freeze the bourekes before you baked them? Did it come out ok? I'm thinking of making them for succos, I was just wondering if I should freeze them before or after baking.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
Sometimes if you bring the sauce to real room temperature (or maybe even warm it if you have to) it will thin on its own. If not, you can use oil to thin down the sauce. (Place all ingredients into a small covered container or bottle, and shake vigorously until smooth and incorporated.)
But if you just want thinner lines to make neat zig-zag's, cut a tiny hole in a baggie before YT, and then use that to squeeze the lines out of.
Whichever method you decide to use, give it a test run now before YT, to see if it works for you.

I neglected to mention, but when I saw it was too thick, I did warm it by putting the bottle into a container of hot water, but it didn't help.

I'll try thinning it with oil and will test it. I have very bad luck in general with the hole in baggie method for anything -- I find I don't have enough control on what comes out and how.

Thanks.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:55 pm
mom71 wrote:
oot bubby... Did you freeze the bourekes before you baked them? Did it come out ok? I'm thinking of making them for succos, I was just wondering if I should freeze them before or after baking.

Yes, I prepared them, but did not bake and then froze them. I defrost them and baked them on yom tov (my standard procedure when at all possible for anything in pastry dough) -- came out great. It comes out much better than baking and then freezing, but you need to have a hot enough oven on for yom tov to bake them properly.

mom71

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 11:16 pm
Thanks Tongue Out

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 12:22 am
imb316 wrote:
If it's not too late, here it is.

1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 egg separated
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1-1/2 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 (17.3 oz.) pkgs. puff pastry, thawed
1/4cup honey mustard
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 350
in bowl mix beef, egg yolk, bread crumbs,tom sauce, parsley and spices
Put oil in pan and add beef mixture. fry on med until cooked - app 10-15 min
roll out puff pastry into a rectangle with 1/4" thickness. cut into 2 inch squares. spread honey mustard in center of each square and spoon 1 teaspoon of meat mixture on top. fold into triangles and press closed. place on greased cookie sheet. brush beaten egg whites on top and sprinke with sesame seeds.
bake 350 for app. 15 to 20 min until brown

Does anyone think that I can put the meat mixture in puff pastry shells? Would it taste the same since it's not baked together?
Should I put the honey mustard in the shell bottom?
Should I brush egg on the shell top before baking or since the cover is separated, it would make it harder to open?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics