Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What to serve before the fast?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ruthla

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 9:43 am
Sichee wrote:
Just checked with my dh. Not eating fish only applies to the second seudah.
That makes sense. The second seuda is just eggs, bread, and water, right?

To not eat fish at all on erev Tisha b'Av would make it very difficult for me to fast! I need the protein, and have been having a hard enough time without red meat or poultry this past week and a half (even with plenty of meat over Shabbos), I can't imagine I'd fare well without any fish today.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 10:26 am
bread, rolls, avacado, minestrone soup, macaroni, stuffed baked potatoes, veggies, watermelon...

speciwoman

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 10:34 am
How do make the ashes?

sensibility

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 12:07 pm
burn a napkin on the stove--have water nearby, just in case, and then dip the egg in the burnt remains.

eschaya

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 1:08 pm
I also had the "no fish today" scare after I had already bought salmon, but dh checked it out and its ok, just not at the seudas hamafsekes.
My menu:
vegetable quiche
wild rice
baked salmon
grapes

notme

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 1:35 pm
I'm serving:
Bagels/french bread
tuna
egg
vegetable soup
maybe some fruit

I am so nervous for the fast. I find I never feel well by this fast for some reason. Last Yom Kippur I fainted on the pavement.

reed

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 1:52 pm
sensibility wrote:
burn a napkin on the stove--have water nearby, just in case, and then dip the egg in the burnt remains.

I find it simpler (and safer) to put the napkin/paper into a 9x13 pan and light it in there.

Rochelly

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 2:59 pm
ww spagetti with tuna
zucchini kugel
fresh salad
cherries and mango

home made challah
hard boiled eggs

water and powerade

ninasapir

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 1:02 pm
I think I'll make this easy tilapia with garlic bread and a colorful salad for before the fast. http://joyof.kosher.com/recipe.....apia/

and these blintzes http://joyof.kosher.com/recipe.....tzes/ with fruit for after.

ninasapir

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 1:03 pm
maybe I'll make this http://joyof.kosher.com/recipe.....soup/ and add lentils or mung beans. decisions decisions.

sweetmom6

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 1:36 pm
I have an amazing delicious Vegetable Barley Soup, Mashed potatoes...Whole wheat bread...I also have Mini Zucchini quiches, salad, Black Bean/Corn Salad. Lots of water all day. Penne Pasta with light cottage cheese. LOL

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 1:49 pm
http://www.ima.org.il/imaj/ar01sep-5.pdf

This study showed that too much protein before a fast may actually not be the best of ideas.

thatworn

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 6:02 pm
sped wrote:
DH wants only one cooked food, so I will have watermelon and a thick vegetable soup with lentils and barley. This way, all 3 food groups will be there.

I really thought that one cooked food is halocha ... is it minhag? We're having roasted potatos and salad.

elevator

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 10:35 am
The key to a successful fast is being hydrated sufficiently. Its even more important than being full/ stuffed.

To stay hydrated its best to drink something which is full of electrolytes. Coconut water (not milk) is best. it has 15 times the electrolytes as powerade (which is also better than water if you can't get coconut water.) Coconut water is a bit expensive but really worth it. I actually find the taste of coconut water to be too sweet so I add lots of lemon juice, which makes it taste like lemonade.

Another trick is to eat foods which are high in fat since fat digests more slowly in your body. I actually bought heavy cream (5 g. of fat per tsp.) and am going to add it to a fruit soup which I made. Last year I made a creamy corn soup with the heavy cream, drank my coconut water and my fast was totally fine. I really find that I have no trouble fasting so long as I drink my coconut water (you need to drink a lot of it - several glasses before the fast and also just keep drinking throughout the day) and eat fattening foods.

Planning on serving: creamy fruit soup, lentil salad, potato salad, flounder, a veggie of some sort, and hard boiled eggs and bread for second meal.

Good luck! May you have an easy and even more importantly, meaningful fast!

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 10:54 am
The menu is lentil soup, tilapia and potato spinach and cheese pie. Dessert is a big bag of grapes.

TGIM

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 12:17 pm
neverbored wrote:
Anybody else? Is nobody serving anything tomorrow?

Im making "Rukat Krumpli"which is layers of cooked sliced potatoes then sliced cooked eggs and sour cream topped w shredded cheese

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 10:10 pm
TGIM wrote:
neverbored wrote:

Im making "Rukat Krumpli"which is layers of cooked sliced potatoes then sliced cooked eggs and sour cream topped w shredded cheese

My mother used to make rukut krumpli but I never got a recipe. Do you have a recipe you can share?

mom2kids

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 3:46 am
Split pea soup, Quiche with mushrooms and zucchini , roasted sweet potatoes and potatoes, watermelon and grapes

Marz613

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 4:19 am
MyKidsRQte wrote:
TGIM wrote:
neverbored wrote:

My mother used to make rukut krumpli but I never got a recipe. Do you have a recipe you can share?

rukat krumplie, straight from my bubby's mouth:
boil a bunch of potatoes, and make some hard boiled eggs.

slice the boiled potatoes and eggs.

take a pan, and rub bottom with butter.
put a layer of potato, sprinkle with salt, then layer some egg, then sour cream. repear as many layers as you want. bake for about 30-45 mins. enjoy! I just made this the other night!

JerseyShore

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 4:55 am
Salmon (loaf, canned salad, or fresh). Rice or polenta (slower "burn" than pasta).

Custard with almond milk (almonds stabilize blood sugar). Almond milk is a traditional Sephardic pre fast drink.

For lunch we have omelettes.

Have an easy fast.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note