Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What to serve before the fast?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

SJcookie

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 6:20 am
Idk if this halacha is the same for ashkenazim, but sefardi halacha says that we can only have one dish (+bread/cake) as the seuda mafseket. No fish.
We make sure to have many meals throughout the day and a lot of fluid (at least 8-10 cups of water)

Breakfast - eggs, toast, cheese, veggies

Snacks: fruits, muffins, crackers, etc.

Lunch: baked zitti or macaroni w/ alfredo sauce & broccoli

Snacks: more fruits, muffins, crackers, etc.

Seudat Mafseket: pumpkin-onion-potato-carrot soup w/ whole wheat rolls

o'mom

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 8:35 am
Anyone has a recipe for lukshen-cheese kugel?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:11 am
sweetmom6 like your menu. Can you post your soup, corn/bean salad and zuchini quiche receipes?
TIA!!

chatouli

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:27 am
Here is another recipe for rakott krumpli:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nyt.....role/

This one uses sauteed onions and is a bit more of a patchke, but it sounds yummy.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 3:44 pm
chatouli wrote:

This one uses sauteed onions and is a bit more of a patchke, but it sounds yummy.

Would someone who barely tolerates hard boil eggs like this? I was thinking of making an egg fish for after the fast.

sped

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 4:44 pm
mha3484 wrote:
chatouli wrote:

Would someone who barely tolerates hard boil eggs like this? I was thinking of making an egg fish for after the fast.

I tried it with DH and for him, the answer (for him) is NO.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 4:46 pm
Thanks. I think ill just stick to my regular baked omelette.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 6:02 pm
speciwoman wrote:
How do [you] make the ashes?

We burn a piece of nori, the seaweed used to roll sushi.

a1mom

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 9:41 pm
cream of carrot soup
sweet potato pie
salad
tilapia with old bay
melon

mamaleh

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 11:17 pm
Still making refrieds...3 years later. It really fills you up without that bloated/overeating feel.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 11:24 pm
I usually make a big bowl of oatmeal using steel cut oats. I add heavy cream, chopped almonds and pecans, assorted dried fruits - and drink tons of gatorade.

This year I'm going to make a coconut milk and mushroom soup, with ginger, garlic, onions and lemongrass. It's basically Tom Ka Gai (Thai soup) without the chicken.

Leftover baked salmon.

Israeli salad, mixed with quinoa, with a bit of olive oil and garlic salt (just a pinch).

Avocados for DD and me, DH will have a banana.

Hard boiled eggs, very burn toast. Scrape the burnt part into a bowl, dip the egg, eat the rest of the bread.

smilethere

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 4:22 am
sarahd wrote:
Louche pretty much covered it all. If you want specific menus, I am serving a milchig noodle kugel, scrambled eggs, lots of fresh bread and watermelon and grapes. Also Israeli salad.

My sister is serving bread and lentil-barley soup, since her husband wants only one cooked dish.

My mother is having noodles with farmer cheese.

I can ask my other sister what she's planning to have, if you want. Wink

Is sped your sister? See above post.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jul 16 2013, 7:22 pm
elevator wrote:
The key to a successful fast is being hydrated sufficiently. Its even more important than being full/ stuffed.

To stay hydrated its best to drink something which is full of electrolytes. Coconut water (not milk) is best. it has 15 times the electrolytes as powerade (which is also better than water if you can't get coconut water.) Coconut water is a bit expensive but really worth it. I actually find the taste of coconut water to be too sweet so I add lots of lemon juice, which makes it taste like lemonade.

Thank you, elevator! I never tried coconut water before, but it really helped, both before and after the fast. I like mixing it with grapefruit juice.

It made me feel good without giving me the sugar complications of powerade or bananas. I think I'll keep some around whenever it goes on sale.

Where did you learn about it?

lkwdmommy

Post Thu, Jul 18 2013, 10:52 am
I did not read through the entire thread, but I think that it is pretty much accepted (if not halacha-not sure, need to check) that at the Seuda Hamafsekes only 1 baked and 1 cooked item may be served. The catch is that supper is not the Seuda Hamafsekes. We finish our supper (this year, it was lukshen-cheese kugel and a simple chef's salad with grilled tilapia instead of chicken or deli) and then 20 minutes later, we sit down on the floor and eat our bread and egg dipped in ashes, which is the Seuda Hamafsekes.

winter_rose

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 8:18 pm
I have had the best luck with egg, bean, cheese and brown rice burritos and fruit that help you retain water like grapes. Preferably use whole wheat tortillas and brown rice as whole grains release their energy slower than white. Even though you hear a lot of people tell you to eat watermelon because of its high water content, don't do it as it's a diuretic and will make you pee early on in the fast and get dehydrated. I make a drink out of jello made with hot grape or apple juice and cold Powerade or Pedialyte. It seems to help with water retention and prevent or slow the presentation of headache and dehydration. Drink a whole box of jello's worth over the day and then at least one cup of the powerade at dinner. I don't have any studies to back me up, just anecdotal evidence. Obviously drink water as well.

Eat this meal well enough in advance that you have time for the seudat hamafseket without feeling like your stomach is about to burst. I'll serve hardboiled eggs, bread and water.

optimist_mommy

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:39 pm
My oldest son just threw something 2gether 4 Melave Malka last night, that was SO simple & SO delicious, I'm planning 2 have some b4 the fast!
1st he threw a couple of potatoes in the microwave. (the QUICKEST way to go: only 8 minutes for a medium potato; leave on the skin & polk it in several places w/ a "corn-on-the-cob" holder)
While the potatoes were cooking, he combined leftover Shabbos salad ( ours was made of Romaine, some baby arugala, cucumber slices, red cabbage, sliced carrot & grape tomatoes, but ANY salad will do) He tossed in some plain macaroni (also leftover from Shabbos!) & 1/2 of an avocado sliced. Then he added the WARM potatoes cut into chunks & tossed w/a small amount of Italian dressing. (Ours was bottled, but u can make it fresh, or just lemon juice & olive oil will work nicely.) It was SOOOO good, I made it again 2day & will NOT mind having it again 2morrow!
As others mentioned, a soup on the side (vegetable, pea or lentil etc. & LIGHT on the salt!) will make this a filling & nutritious pre-fast meal, I think. P.S If u haven't already started yesterday, drink LOTS & LOTS of water throughout the day! May everyone have an EASY & MEANINGFUL fast, or better still, may Moshiach arrive NOW so that Tisha B'Av is transformed from a fast into a YOM Tov!!! Smile

imabeleiver

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 12:55 pm
Remember the 6 piece vitamin packet with Tylenol water melon n bananas of course lotsa water and your good to go
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note