Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
HELP!!Chulent infested with worms!!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 3:14 pm
I cooked a huge pot of pareve chulent for the late afternoon lunch, AKA toiamaiyu, and upon serving, found lots of white "pieces". Upon better inspection, I think they're worms.

How could this be? I checked the beans before cooking.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 3:16 pm
If you have a new pkg of beans (or have time to run to a convenience store), there is still time to make a new cholent.

Sorry about the worms Sad

amother

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 3:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you have a new pkg of beans (or have time to run to a convenience store), there is still time to make a new cholent.
I made two pots, he fleishige seems fine.

I'm wondering how checked beans can sneak up on me like this.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 3:41 pm
Barley?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 3:55 pm
omg!!! This happened to my friend! She made a pot of soup for a new mom, and when it was cooked, she saw...tons of tiny, wiggly white worms!!! I guess they came out in the hot water. B"H she saw it b4 she sent it!!!!
Now we always check the beans in HOT water.

crush

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 4:11 pm
omg this is giving me chillllllllllllllls Shaking
I can't believe that can happen! I've never heard of this before....oh gosh, hope it worked out for you, amother!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 4:30 pm
it happens. we had salad once friday night and it was fine, by day it was mad buggy.

miriam

Post Sat, Jul 17 2010, 8:51 pm
If it makes you feel any better, I found some sort of worm in my soup Friday night. Aggghhh, yuck. I have no clue what it's from. It was egg drop soup with potatoes and carrots and onions. Maybe it fell in from somewhere when the lid was off.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 17 2010, 8:54 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Barley?
No, just chulent mix beans.

jaysmom

Post Sat, Jul 17 2010, 8:57 pm
do you have to check beans in the U.S. too? Never heard of worms in beans.

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Jul 17 2010, 8:58 pm
shock I don't think I'll be eating cholent again for a long, long time.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 17 2010, 8:59 pm
jaysmom wrote:
I live in NY, USA!!!

amother

Post Sat, Jul 17 2010, 10:08 pm
uch that's so gross. did u use old barley? my friend once made a cholent and the barley she used was kind of old and after she poured it in the cholent she realized it was infested with bugs and had to dump the whole thing... ewwwww

itsme

Post Sat, Jul 17 2010, 10:34 pm
Could it be that you used a certain spice in the parve chulent and that had worms?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 2:10 am
jaysmom wrote:
we had worms in the bag of beans once, when we had a meal moth infestation. meal moths can do that, infest beans, barley, lukshen, etc.

In the kitchen

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 5:56 am
yuck! sorry that you had that happen to you...I have never heard of it before, now I will be more vigilant.

When I check the beans I do it in water,the beans that float to the top get thrown out. Maybe that helps?

sarachana

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 8:06 am
omg I got so nauseous reading this thread but here are some ideas:

the paprika goes bad very quickly and worms and worm eggs start to grown...maybe it was that?

or

onions that have gone bad will have TONS of bugs under the first layer of skin, maybe you didn't notice and put that in the soup/cholent....

how worms could survive hot water is very interesting to me, but if you say it happened then oh my it probably did...YUK!!!!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 8:28 am
I keep the beans in the fridge, as do I the paprika and the steak sauce I used to enhance the chulent, since it was a meatless chulent. I always check for floating beans when I fill the pot. The only thing I could think of right now is that the worms were hiding in the beans, had I waited longer before cooking them, they would have been out and wiggling in the bag.

Anyone heard of soaking them overnight so in such a case they would have come out sooner?

ila

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 10:45 am
I learned that to check beans you have to soak them in water overnight or bring to a boil and let it soak for a while; and than check them by putting some in your hand, turning in the other hand to see both sides of the beans, sorry of your experience!

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 1:38 pm
even without reading this thread it's going to be a while before I eat cholent again.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions