Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
WHY do you LIKE living in NY?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 10:04 pm
mom#1! wrote:
I'm from oot and one thing I HATE about brooklyn is that they're open till 2 am cuz they don't open till 2 pm! You can't even get breakfast before you need to eat lunch!

That is a problem with Williamsburg and Boro Park stores--I start my day early--like when my kids get up at 7:15 we all get started and on a Sunday we like to be out of the house by 9:30 so we can have a full day out. If we have to run errands, it's annoying that nothing opens until 11:30 or noon! But--that's not the case in Manhattan.

faigie

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 10:15 pm
50 cents gets you into Museum of Natural History and Met. Museum of Art
say what???? I thought it cost so much more.... totally confused.....( as usual?)

IloveHashem613

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 10:16 pm
NY has an energy that no other city has, especially New York City. OP- where in NY did you stay? New York is a very big place (duh!) with so many different kinds of communities. I can understand why someone from out of town would hate New York cuz there are certain things that are just so annoying and frustrating but it offers oppurtunities like no other places does. Like anywhere else, there are good things and bad things, you have to sift the good from the bad.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 10:20 pm
faigie wrote:
say what???? I thought it cost so much more.... totally confused.....( as usual?)

If you live in NY, you really ought to learn about things like museum discounts--or when museums are free/by donation...

gold21

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 12:45 am
nyc has many many pros and many many conveniences- but only if you can find a parking space to go where you want to go can you take advantage of those conveniences!...the following things really bother me about ny city: 1. alternate side parking: it is extremely irritating. 2. traffic: stressful. 3. trying to find a parking space for 20 min or more just so you can run into a store for something: such a waste of time and energy. 4. lack of adequate-size backyards and space and grass and fresh air and room to run around: not great for kids, or for adults who enjoy nature 5. too many irresponsible dog-owners who dont clean up after their dogs, causing the unfortunate help-I-have-dog-doo-on-my-shoe issue: gross and nasty. 6. big garbage piles im front of businesses and schools and apartment buildings waiting for pickup: yuk.... Otherwise, I heart NYC, lol!!

smilingmom

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 7:16 am
faigie wrote:

The admission for these museums is listes as a "suggested admission". Meaning it is not mandatory. You must give something, so I usually give 50 cents.
This is for general admission to the museum at all times. Admission to some special exhibits or the planetarium is separate.

I was just at the Met Museum for their special exhibit. It was a huge bamboo structure on the roof. that you can climb on. The kids loved it. It was free, of course.
Tou must wear sneakers and shorts or pants under your skirt.
http://www.metmuseum.org/speci.....ceId={9C6923D2-D348-4761-BEB3-A943934068D2}

fleetwood

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 7:52 am
Mom #1, I can name you at least 15 places if not more in Brooklyn that are open for breakfast before 10 a.m.!

smilingmom

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 7:57 am
fleetwood wrote:
Mom #1, I can name you at least 15 places if not more in Brooklyn that are open for breakfast before 10 a.m.!

I live right near Cafe Corner on Ditmas Ave and it is open at 7:00 each morning, including the summer.

They have delicious brakfast specials.

freshie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 8:01 am
smilingmom wrote:
fleetwood wrote:

I live right near Cafe Corner on Ditmas Ave and it is open at 7:00 each morning, including the summer.

They have delicious brakfast specials.

you are talking about breakfast eateries so it is obvious that it would be open early. The problem is taking care of regular errands is very difficult to do in Brooklyn before 11 and is really annoying.

fleetwood

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 8:08 am
Garden of eat in, sunflower cafe, cafe hadar, open from breakfast through dinner as do many other places. As for errands, on Friday I have everything done by 10 a.m., what cant you do before 11????

freshie

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 8:26 am
because most stores dont open before then.

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 8:27 am
For the record: I am typing this on a bus back to NYC (just moved OOT). I am beyond homesick for NY, so this is a perfect thread for today! I was either gonna type this here or in a diary entry. Thus, yay!

WHY I LIKE LIVING IN NY:
- family (Yes, family is where the DH and kids are, where the couple makes their Jewish home, blah blah blah, but *everyone* else is still in the five boroughs, thank you very much)
- the amount of frum people (on the street yesterday, I saw a fellow frum woman, one bakery, and a Judaica bookstore and jumped with glee, but finding other from people was like that "Where's Waldo" book the children read. I had to look far and wide.)
- the amount of kosher food
- people who actually know from kosher food (how many times do I have to say challah before the dumbfounded supermarket kid says "Oh! Egg bread! We have unpackaged [thus no hechsher] EGG BREAD over there!]
- kosher restaurants
- frum-geared clothing stores
- public transporation/being able to get around without a car
- multiple shuls
- multiple school options

That's it for now, but I'll probably have more to write on the return trip back to OOT! LOL

imaima

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 9:01 am
freidasima wrote:
Because it is one of the most amazing cities in the world and probably the one easiest to be an orthodox Jew in, outside of EY.

When I dream of living anywhere outside of here for a while it is definitely to live in NY. Definitely on the Upper West Side. Definitely with a lot of money in the bank.

Which is one reason I don't live there...but it would be nice to have a summer home there!
Dream on Freidasima!

lol
Freidasima lives in Israel and has a summer home in NYC!! LOL LOL

Why not the other way round?

freidasima

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 9:12 am
There are lots of people who do...(live in NY and have summer homes here in Yerushalayim).
Halevai that I would have one because then I wouldn't have to freeload on my inlaws and brothers in law every time we or one of the kids come.
But who could afford such a thing....oh well...

dina23

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 10:50 am
I relaly can understand OP! I grew up OOT and moved to Brooklyn when I got married. It was the worst desicon I ever made! It is dirty, smelly congested, no parking, people are either really nice or completely ignore you! The only upside is cheaper tuition. I told my husband I suffered this long and managed to cope but no way am I buying a house here. You get nothing for your money! Some of my relatives are breaking their backs to pay mortgates on houses with no driveways or backyards. While all the Brooklynites may get up in arms over this you must understand that its not like this everywhere! I grew up in a city with large homes, space between the houses, no wires hanging down and they all had driveways, and yards! At least Manhatten has a certain vibe and sophistication. Brooklyn is just not that nice.
Having said that I totally understand why people who grew up here like it. There is a certain security in being part of a larger Jewish community and they dont notice the downsides that drive me crazy. My reaction is the direct product of being raised somewhere else. So while I may take issue with the quality of life and its not the life I want, I get it why people do like it.

OheivYisrael

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 10:59 am
I moved to a suburban NY community as a teenager, from a beautiful place with perfect weather and very little yiddishkeit.

Everyone always asks me if I miss it, or if I want to go back. My answer: having a frum community like this tops any weather or aesthetics.

I think I might have a longer list of what I DON'T like about NY, and DH and I have not set foot in Brooklyn for a few years, or Manhattan by choice (we've both worked there at different times). But here's what I DO like:
- large frum communities and all that comes with it-- options for schools, yeshivas, restaurants, supermarkets and availability of kosher goods
- more job options (especially in my field, which normally would work for large companies in a specific area of service)
- things are more accessible-- you can walk to the store (even though it would be a long walk)
- public transportation does exist and is used by the average, mainstream population. Especially commuters.

tzatza

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 11:33 am
I like SI very much, but I live in Brooklyn. Hopefully, will move one day. I do like all the conveniences of Brooklyn vis-a-vis frum lifestyle, but (maybe because I am an immigrant BT) really missing the feel and support of true community...

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 1:04 pm
dina23 wrote:
While all the Brooklynites may get up in arms over this you must understand that its not like this everywhere! I grew up in a city with large homes, space between the houses, no wires hanging down and they all had driveways, and yards! At least Manhatten has a certain vibe and sophistication. Brooklyn is just not that nice.
Having said that I totally understand why people who grew up here like it. There is a certain security in being part of a larger Jewish community and they dont notice the downsides that drive me crazy. My reaction is the direct product of being raised somewhere else. So while I may take issue with the quality of life and its not the life I want, I get it why people do like it.

Hm..Did you know that the Park Slope neighborhood of BROOKLYN was voted "Best Place to Live" in the city. There are some beautiful things about Brooklyn. I'm sorry you may only know about the congestion on Coney Island Ave. and 13th Avenue. Try to visit the trendy neighborhoods and beautiful parks in Dumbo, Williamsburg, Clinton Hill, etc.
Some of the people I know in parts of Brooklyn like Ditmans Park/Kensington, Ft. Greene have beautiful homes with driveways and beautiful grassy yards.

Also, re: the person who can get all her stuff done before 11? How? I can only accomplish my food/grocery shopping before 11. Nothing else--no clothing, no toys, no seforim stores, no gift stores, no paper goods stores open before then.

MommyZ

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 1:20 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
dina23 wrote:
While all the Brooklynites may get up in arms over this you must understand that its not like this everywhere! I grew up in a city with large homes, space between the houses, no wires hanging down and they all had driveways, and yards! At least Manhatten has a certain vibe and sophistication. Brooklyn is just not that nice.

Hm..Did you know that the Park Slope neighborhood of BROOKLYN was voted "Best Place to Live" in the city. There are some beautiful things about Brooklyn. I'm sorry you may only know about the congestion on Coney Island Ave. and 13th Avenue. Try to visit the trendy neighborhoods and beautiful parks in Dumbo, Williamsburg, Clinton Hill, etc.
Some of the people I know in parts of Brooklyn like Ditmans Park/Kensington, Ft. Greene have beautiful homes with driveways and beautiful grassy yards.

Also, re: the person who can get all her stuff done before 11? How? I can only accomplish my food/grocery shopping before 11. Nothing else--no clothing, no toys, no seforim stores, no gift stores, no paper goods stores open before then.

She's probably referring to Boro Park and Flatbush. What she's saying is that compared to other cities Brooklyn is not that nice and yes that includes the more fashionable trendy areas.

Earnest

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 4:42 pm
My additions to the list: Creative and intellectual stimulation with continuing ed classes from dozens of colleges. Free classes on writing and everything else you could imagine from the midtown branch of the manhattan public library (the brooklyn public library is also terrif.). Specialty stores. Strand book store's one-dollar section outside.... Free advice on how to start a business in the Library of Science and Industry (a branch of manhattan library)... Terrific weight-watcher classes. Exotic kosher restaurants. The cosmetic section of Bloomingdales. Bendels. B&H. J&R. the ersatz tropical jungle in central park zoo (with the gorgeous jungle birds.) Classes in chasidus in Beis Rivka, Machon Chana, and 770.

Last edited by Earnest on Tue, Jul 20 2010, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries