Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Splinter

cdawnr

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 7:45 pm
My almost 3 yr old has 2 splinters in her foot. One I removed most of but can still see a tiny black dot right in the arch of her foot. The other is in that tough thick area under the big toe. I can see it and my husband and I have tried tweezers and a needle and soaking in warm water. Can't get it.

Do I need to worry about it? Should I take her to the doctor? She's not necessarily going to tell me if it feels funny, so I am worried that an infection will start and she'll only tell us when it get serious.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 7:52 pm
I would suggest taking her to the doc to have whatever is left removed.

NYmommy

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 8:07 pm
my dd had several splinters on her heel of her foot which were too deep for us to take out. An old lady said I should try to open drop of the skin at the end of the splinter, put olive oil in a plate & soak the foot in the oil for few minutes. We did that & splinters basically slid out. Good luck

chanahlady

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 7:02 am
It may not be a problem. See if it hurts her -- if she's limping or something, then go to the dr. Also watch for red streaks around the splinter -- that is a sign of infection and needs to be taken care of right away. Keep soaking (in warm SALT water) and if there's no infection and she's not in pain, her body likely will take care of it (either break it down itself, or her body will push it out through the skin).

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 7:04 am
I still have a splinter on my finger that I got when I was 10. It doesn't always cause infection, but be on top of it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics