Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weight gain observation

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 4:41 pm
Do Ashkenazim in general have more of a weight issue then Sephardim or is it just those I meet..... anyone know and if so perhaps it's the food we and they eat. Maybe we can learn there secret Smile

goldrose

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 4:43 pm
perhaps they are more hard-working.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 4:44 pm
I don't think so. I see all shapes!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 5:34 pm
Tefila wrote:
Do Ashkenazim in general have more of a weight issue then Sephardim or is it just those I meet..... anyone know and if so perhaps it's the food we and they eat. Maybe we can learn there secret Smile

I would say in general there are less obeses among Jews, but more "chubby/fat" than among non jews. In general Sephardic are much fatter than Ashkenazic. Also, frum people are fatter than frei.
That's what I noticed...

chen

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 8:31 am
In general the Western diet, which worships colossal portions of meat, esp. beef; mostly refined sugars and starches; hydrogenated fats and butter; and relatively few fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as the western lifestyle which emphasizes sedentary spectator activities and labor-saving devices over manual work and active sports, is a recipe for obesity. In contrast, the Mediterranean diet which emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and legumes, and olive oil, with small quantities of fish and poultry for variety, very lttle red meat, and of course plenty of manual work (dice those veggies with a knife, not a Cuisinart), favors leanness over obesity.

People of Eastern descent tend to be leaner and have less heart disease than Westerners; however, when they move to the West and start eating a Western diet, their heart disease rates increase till they rival those of Westerners.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise