Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Belly button piercing
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 12:01 am
My 14 year old daughter wants to pierce her pipick!
her (stomach).
im afraid she will go to the city and just do it with a friend.
what can I do to stop her!
her mind is realy set on doing this
I read that you cant swim for a month
after doing this.
I read that it hurts for a month.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 12:23 am
Where did she get such an idea? Is it from friends?

I don't understand piercing this area. It's not as though anyone can even see it. (hopefully).

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 1:53 am
When I was 16, I wanted to pierce my ears again and made the mistake of asking my mother first. She said no, and because I respected her, I didn't do it until I was 25, already married and in my own home.

I would recommend, that instead of outright forbidding her - because it just might push her to doing it anyway, tell her that you would rather she not do it, and you would like her to respect your wishes. That if, when she's ready to move out of the house, whenever that may be, she still wants to do it, then she can. Hopefully by that time, she'd have learned the rudiments of Taharat Hamishpacha and will realize that belly rings are a pain to keep up with.

My daughters are 15 and 14 and they've asked if they could pierce their ears again. I told them I had no problem with it, but their dad (my ex) would probably have puppies. I told them that when they're 18, they can do it with my full support. I also live in Israel where multiple ear piercing is more common in Orthodox women. So are nose studs... which I did 3 years ago and LOVE.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 5:48 pm
Did you say that orthodox women have nose rings?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 7:56 pm
Tell her why it is not good, have an open heart talk with her.

Tovah

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 8:02 pm
did u tell her the side effects? and maybe the punishment she will have when u see it?

micki

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 11:44 pm
listen to her. ask her why does she want it?
ask her if she will still want it when she is 40.
then have her look into the side effects, the method, the after care how much pain she will be in. discuss if it worth it.
and then ask her if she still wants to do it.
if after all this she still says yes, then tell her you need 6 months to think about it and give her an answer.

don't fobid her, she'll do it davka.
so get hysterical, don't say no. just listen to her.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 1:28 am
amother wrote:

I refuse to answer any questions which I deem to be possibly confrontational when it's asked anonymously.

You want to judge me? Then show your 'face'.

ChavieK

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 8:52 am
My dd asked for a second hole in her ear at about 14 or 15. We said no, so she waited till she was in Israel in sem to do it.Then a few months later she stoped wearing it. (In some body parts the hole never closes up.)I guess if it was her belly button she would have done the same & she could have left it that we never would have known(certainly not my dh).I wouldn't let at that age but once she turns 18 (which is what we told ours) you can do what you want. Just know what the risks are.

yoyosma

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 9:00 am
A lot of women stretch out their peircing holes during pregnancy.
It doesnt go back.

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 10:30 am
Quote:
My 14 year old daughter wants to pierce her pipick!

shock dont know what to tell you.....

BTW, there are probably a bunch of people on this board scratching their head at just what "pipick" your daughter has to peirce.

My dh is a doctor in Kiryas Yoel and soon after starting working there, he had a teenage patient that needed a laproscopic surgery to fix a hernia, he was realy nervous so my dh explained to the boy and his father how that surgery is done.... when he told the kid they were going to put a little camera through his "pipick" he almost passed out! The father took his son out of the room and came back and asked my dh if he knew what a "pipick" was sure my dh said a belly button. the guy started laughing and told him that here it meant something a little further down..... Needless to say we had to do some quick work on our 2 year old son to change his vocabulary from pupick to belly button because he went to a satmar playgroup and I didnt want any trouble.... lol

mom3boys

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 10:42 am
Kmelion wrote:
amother wrote:

I refuse to answer any questions which I deem to be possibly confrontational when it's asked anonymously.

You want to judge me? Then show your 'face'.
Thumbs Up

amother

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 4:50 pm
I think that's a good idea to say when she's old enough to have her own apt...
btw, my younger brother got his tongue pierced, let it close and had it done again!! B"H it didn't last long, it's been closed a while now...but boy, was I embarrassed when it happened!!!

didan

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 5:00 pm
B"H

Ambassador-to-KJ wrote:
Needless to say we had to do some quick work on our 2 year old son to change his vocabulary from pupick to belly button because he went to a satmar playgroup and I didnt want any trouble.... lol

Interesting. I grew up with the word pupick. Never knew it had another meaning. So does it not mean belly button? Should I not use the word with my kids?

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 5:26 pm
Quote:
Interesting. I grew up with the word pupick. Never knew it had another meaning.

I know I grew up like that too. I never knew it had another meaning until this story with my husband. There are differences in between russian yiddish and hungarian yiddish. So I guess here in Monroe Pupick means a whole other body part than when someone in crown heights says pupick.

Estee2

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 7:29 pm
Quote:
So I guess here in Monroe Pupick means a whole other body part than when someone in crown heights says pupick.

OH NO !!! Surprised Surprised

All this time I loved eating (chicken) ''Pupicks" in the soup !!

Have I been eating belly buttons, or something else ??

micki

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 7:35 pm
well, what was the shape of chicken "pukpick" you were eating?
LOL

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 8:15 pm
Quote:
OH NO !!!

All this time I loved eating (chicken) ''Pupicks" in the soup !!

Well you certainly havent been eating chicken belly buttons, they dont have belly buttons, youve been eating chicken stomaches.

micki

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 12:00 am
back to the subject at hand- how is your daughers dress most of the time? is she tznius in every other way? who would ever even see a belly button if it is covered by shirt?

amother- please respond here- because when a person asks a questiona nd we all respond, we like to hear what you thought of all the suggestions given!

HatLady

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 12:51 am
I was once in an airplane. Across the aisle from me was a grandmother traveling with her granddaughter. On grandma's ankle was a tattoo! I was shocked to see it, b/c g-ma looked like a fairly affluent lady in her upper 60's. When I got home, I told my daughter this story adding that "if Grandma has a tatoo, imagine what that granddaughter will have to do if she wants to rebel and show her individuality."

An aside... I remember as a non-from teenager, I (along with my peers) wanted to show our nonconformity (to society, I guess) by dressing in a slovenly manner. We all wanted to show our individuality by all dressing alike. Funny, isn't it?!

OP, I'm with telling your daughter that the hole will stretch (and not go back) if someday she either gets pregnant or gains a lot of weight. Teens often think first about how their decisions will effect them now (not necessarily in 5-50 years from now.)

And I have a question for Kmelion... I always wondered how gross is it when you get a cold, meaning cleaning the back of the nose ring. Or, is the stud different than a regular earring?

Kol tuv,
The HatLady
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children