Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help!! Baby refuses to eat/drink...

amother

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 11:04 am
My 10 month old baby just got over the Roseola and now it appears that she lost her appetite-its already 3 days and she refuses to eat or drink! We practically have to force the food/drink down her. Which sometimes works but only after a good fight- I was wondering if anyone ever went through this and if you have any tips you can share.I feel like if I continue to force her to eat or drink she will be traumatized for life (has anyone experienced having a child traumatized from eating?) .... We were at the doctor already and were told to just force her to eat/drink ... any suggestions would really be appreciated!

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 11:27 am
Look out for signs of dehydration - make sure she's having wet diapers.
I've heard of kids who needed an iv in the hospital. You probably know this already, but reading this I get nervous.

try offering watered down juice, distraction - one person makes funny faces while the other one feeds her.

I do know someone who forced their kid to eat and the kid refused to eat from the parents for a while. They had to send the kid to a babysitter to get her to eat. Now the kid seems ok.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 2:24 pm
Hi-
I don't want to scare you, but I do want to alert you to the potential seriousness of your situation.

If you child is eating/drinking much less than usual, but:

- still wetting (really wetting) diapers at least every 6 hours
- has some energy (even if somewhat calmer)
- mouth is wet, eyes don't look sunken...
in that case, you should keep an extra eye on that child, and call the doctor tomorrow. It will have been 4 days at that point (right?), so it's a good idea to check in if you baby is still on a very reduced diet.

If you baby is:
- not wetting (really wetting) a diaper in 6 hours or 4 wet (really wet) diapers in 24 hours.
-lethargic (not just a little more tired)
-weak or limp
-dry mouth
-sunken eyes
ANY OF THESE...go seek care immediately. Page your doctor, then... find a clinic or urgent care facility...or just go to the Emergency Room now!! This is common, but dangerous. You need to get your child assessed right away. They may give IV fluids to rehydrate your baby. It's not your fault, but do not wait until morning if your child has any warning signs of dehydration.

also, please update us. We worry Wink

amother

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 10:15 pm
thanks guys for your replies!!
at first I thought my baby was dehydrated but the doctor said she was fine but because she was refusing to eat or drink she gave us a syringe to get the liquid in. I guess its working b/c every day she has a little more wet diapers.
it also seems that after we give her Tylenol she eats better and doesnt fight you as much - I think she just had some discomfort from the roseola. she ate an entire 4 oz. cup of kids yogurt mixed with baby cereal today without too much of a fight and she easily took mashed potatoes for supper. now we are trying to fatten her up a little to make up for what she lost (if any).

amother

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 10:25 pm
I'm the panicky amother above--
I'm sorry for writing the whole megilla, I didn't realize you were at the doctor today. Sorry!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 12:45 pm
thats fine,thanks for your concern.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics