Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Ponytail Sheitel
1  2  Next

soonamommy

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 10:37 pm
My dh suggested that I get a ponytail sheitel, as the hair wouldn't fall into my face (which makes me crazy) and I look good in that style.

I honestly think they look a little too casual and girly for my taste. I love looking married and don't want to look like I'm sixteen anymore.

He won't push it if I don't want it, he just wants me to feel comfortable in something I know I look good in. Do you think I'm reading too much into things?

Would you wear a ponytail sheitel? Why or why not?

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 11:01 pm
I DO wear one!
I have a one length sheitel that I pull into a pony on hotter days. Its definitely more comfortable, and most people DONT go around on a casual day with a beautiful long haired style that a lot of sheitels have.
Its a more casual natural look, and maybe your husband liked how you looked in a ponytail and wants you to do it again!
Trust me, even though you want to look 'married', everyone who knows what a sheitel is will know that yours is pulled in a pony!!! And how can you pass up the opportunity for a new sheitel???

micki

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 11:35 pm
I have a sheitel that I wear in a pony, half pony or plain down.
it can do what ever I used to do woith my real hair.
you can make a pony and then pull some hair from above the temples like wisps. it looks good!

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 3:57 am
Many rabbonim say that a ponytail sheitel is assur. A sheitel shouldn't be longer than shoulder-length.

mummy

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 6:41 am
BH for my ponytail sheitel! Once it is on I dont think about it for the rest of the day. It always looks neat. There are those people who don't beleive Im wearing a sheitel which I take as a compliment but if you want a sheitel look, you can get the effect even with a ponytail.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 9:56 am
I wore one years back - synthetic - and the ponytail pulled a lot on the top of my head as it was heavy.

if you get one, make sure you have a lot of baby hairs around your face to make you feel pretty, and that it isn't too heavy.

if you're afraid of looking too young, you can have it french braided and put up and then anyone can wear it.

get us a picture! enjoy whatever you decide!

micki

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 10:06 am
Quote:
Many rabbonim say that a ponytail sheitel is assur. A sheitel shouldn't be longer than shoulder-length.

I am not even going to touch that one!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 10:12 am
micki wrote:
Quote:

LOL me neither

gali

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 1:47 pm
only1 wrote:
micki wrote:
Quote:

LOL me neither

LOL Some people!
Mummy, many rabbonim say that the internet is assur. But apparently, you're on here anyway because you don't follow those rabbonim. In the same way, please don't base what your Rav holds as the only accepted halachic ruling!

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 2:20 pm
gali wrote:
only1 wrote:
micki wrote:
Quote:

LOL me neither

LOL Some people!
Mummy, many rabbonim say that the internet is assur. But apparently, you're on here anyway because you don't follow those rabbonim. In the same way, please don't base what your Rav holds as the only accepted halachic ruling!

Well said Gali!

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 2:28 pm
gali wrote:
only1 wrote:
micki wrote:
Quote:

LOL me neither

LOL Some people!

1. I didn't say all rabbanim say this. Where did I say it's the only halachic ruling?

2. Please tell me which rabbanim say it's allowed, because I haven't heard of any.

3.I follow the rabbanim who say the internet is assur. I have a specific situation, which I asked a shaila about, and was told I should have it.

4. How come, if we're discussing other halachic issues, people are allowed to say their rabbanim say something different and it can be accepted?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 2:33 pm
Quote:
1. I didn't say all rabbanim say this. Where did I say it's the only halachic ruling?

2. Please tell me which rabbanim say it's allowed, because I haven't heard of any.

You just contradict yourself. [/quote]

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 2:42 pm
only1 wrote:
Quote:

You just contradict yourself.
[/quote]

OK maybe I wasn't clear.
I didn't say all rabbonim pasken like that, because I have heard specific p'sakim of rabbonim that it is assur, but I certainly haven't gone and asked all the reliable rabbonim in the world. So I said many. Because I have seen the p'sak by many. And I have seen many women in such sheitels, so I presume that at least some of them have been told that it's OK.

I, personally, haven't heard a rav say it's allowed, so I was curious who says so. It wasn't meant as in - bet no one says so, but as in, which groups/places etc do allow it.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 2:43 pm
Quote:
mummyof6 wrote:
only1 wrote:
Quote:

You just contradict yourself.

OK maybe I wasn't clear.
I didn't say all rabbonim pasken like that, because I have heard specific p'sakim of rabbonim that it is assur, but I certainly haven't gone and asked all the reliable rabbonim in the world. So I said many. Because I have seen the p'sak by many. And I have seen many women in such sheitels, so I presume that at least some of them have been told that it's OK.

I, personally, haven't heard a rav say it's allowed, so I was curious who says so. It wasn't meant as in - bet no one says so, but as in, which groups/places etc do allow it.
[/quote]

any place that doesn't hold that a sheital can't be longer then your shoulders.

Last edited by mimsy7420 on Thu, Jul 20 2006, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

micki

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 3:07 pm
don't presume people wear it because they asked a shaila.
I wear a jean skirt- did I ask if its permitted? I wear clogs- maybe I should ask about that too.
I have a garden - should I ask if I can have that?
why would you think its NOT permitted?

gryp

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 3:40 pm
mummyof6, im curious about that.
why is a sheitel longer than your shoulders assur?
does it still count if youre wearing it up and doesnt fall below your shoulders that way?
can you tell me who these Rabbonim are and which community follows them?

soonamommy

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 3:44 pm
As I understand it, the Rabbanim in E'Y and in America are split on this issue. Most Rabbanim in E'Y hold that a sheitel longer than shoulder length is pritzus and should not be allowed. Most Rabbanim in America do not hold this way. I am speaking for the Ashkenazi, non-Chassidishe world, as I do not know first-hand about Chassidishe Rabbanim.

Ruby

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 3:47 pm
mummyof6 wrote:

To each his own, I don't think that anyone is asking weather or not it's Tznius. This response is very disturbing to me. I think that if omeone is wearing a sheitel it's great and you don't have to make them feel bad about the length. Besides for the fact that you can make a ponytail if it's shoulder length.
As far a the original question...I wear a ponytail or a bun all the time. I get a ton of compliments. Especially in the hot weather now, it's very comfortable. It can get heavy if you have alot of hair on your sheitel.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 4:38 pm
GR wrote:
mummyof6, im curious about that.
why is a sheitel longer than your shoulders assur?
does it still count if youre wearing it up and doesnt fall below your shoulders that way?
can you tell me who these Rabbonim are and which community follows them?

I know at least the Litvish Gedolim in EY. I can't remember names off hand, but I have seen leaflets and halachos in seforim signed by Litvish Gedolei hador who forbid it. In my community women for who tzniyus is important do not wear long sheitels. I think wearing it up is OK. Maybe this is an Israel / American thing too. I would be interested if someone yeshivish from America could tell us what the Gedolim there say/ don't say.

I hope this answers the poster who doesn't ask if she is allowed to have a garden too.

(I am glad to see that there is somebody here who can ask nicely and is just interested, and doesn't feel the need to bash if her rav says something different to mine. Very Happy )

gryp

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 4:58 pm
thanx mummyof6.

I think that this must be one of those differences in American vs Israeli Chareidi lifestyles.
like some things which are perfectly acceptable in America are completely assur in Israel, ie. jean skirts (I dont wear them anyway), going to amusement parks ( I was told quite emphatically: Only the Chilonim do that!), and others.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels