Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Wesley Hills, NY
1  2  Next

Nomad

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 1:19 pm
Hi! dh and I are trying to figure out where to live. anyone have any info on this community?? ive heard some good things about it and would love to hear some firsthand experience. Is it like Monsey? What kind of schools are there?

TIA! Smile

amother

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 1:23 pm
Real estate taxes are $12,000 a year. We get a lot of snow. People are nice.

There are many smaller communities within Wesley Hills, so it's hard to answer your question.

Where in Wesley Hills do you want to live?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 1:30 pm
I lived in Wesley Hills for 11 years and it has changed a lot. From there being no frum people on my street to being only frum people. Wesley Hills is likely considered part of Monsey - there are different neighborhoods in Monsey, Forshay, New Hempstead, Wesley Hills, Pomona, etc.

The schools are the same schools that are in Monsey, YSV, Ateres, Chofetz Chaim, Darchai Noam, etc.

When I first moved there it was fairly mixed modern orthodox and yeshivish families. But over time, more and more yeshivish families moved in and more and more modern orthodox people went on Aliyah or moved out. So if you do not cover your hair or if you wear pants you may not feel very comfortable.

Also, it is a fairly wealthy community. Many homes are large (new construction and renovated), most women stay home or work part time as speach therapists or real estate agents and there is a lot of keeping up with the schwartz's. Almost everyone has cleaning help, alot of people have live in help.

That being said, it is a beautiful well kept neighborhood. With grass and trees, and large lawns and yards and I miss the sheer beauty of it. There are not many other Jewish Neighborhoods were the houses are spaced as far a part and as pretty. It is in close proximity to the heart of monsey. The prices of food are low, the town services are good (garbage pick up, free busing). However, the taxes are high and the homes can be expensive.

What are you looking for in a community and I can tell you if Wesley Hills has what you are looking for,

MomNY

Post Sat, Aug 07 2010, 10:50 pm
Wesley Hills (an incorporated village) is partially in the Monsey ZIP. On the whole it's somewhat more "modern" than "main Monsey" but there are chassidim in WH and I've heard there are still women who don't cover their hair in main Monsey.

We have plenty of kosher shopping; a number of local schools (kids also commute to New Jersey or NYC); and a couple of restaurants (people usually go to Teaneck for a wider selection). They roll up the sidewalks at sundown, unless you're into Chinese auctions and tzedaka teas. The homes are generally large-ish and are usually situated on nice-sized lots. WH is fairly expensive (cheaper than Brooklyn or north Jersey, though) and it is therefore a relatively wealthier community, but I and many of my friends work and watch our budgets and don't feel compelled to keep up with the Schwartz's.

Do you have any specific questions?

smalka

Post Fri, Aug 13 2010, 3:16 pm
I second what Amother posted on Thu, Aug 05 2010, 12:30 pm. We checked out the area, and although beautiful, were surprised and disappointed to find a level of materialism that we are not comfortable with.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:53 am
I would like to bump this thread up. It seems like the question has been asked a few times, but I am not finding the information I am looking for. DH and I are interested in Wesley Hills. As another poster pointed out there are many neighborhoods within Wesley Hills. Can you elaborate on this? What are the neighborhoods? As someone not from the monsey area, this is completely foreign to me. I am trying to figure out where to be looking.

We like the look of wesley hills. It seems very pretty and I like that we can find a nice big house on a nice plot of land. But yet its a lot less than a place like great neck and more religious. I would say we are modern yeshivish, but with an emphasis on being open minded. I cover my hair fully, wear skirts to the knee and 3/4 shirts. DH wears a hat and white shirt on shabbos but will wear dark jeans when not working or if he is home on a sunday. We both are professional and are late twenties/early 30s. One family member thought we would like Shar Hashamoyim and suggested the area around there. I don't know too much about the schools, but from the little I know I would assume we would be interested in YSV or Chofetz Chaim.

Any information on the different neighborhoods of Wesley Hills and the types of people that live there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 2:44 pm
Bumping up again. Any info on Wesley Hills?

5*Mom

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 2:54 pm
I have cousins in Wesley Hills who are just the way you describe yourselves, if that helps.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 3:10 pm
I grew up there and I currently live close by. When my family moved 13 years ago it was mostly modern orthodox. Now it has blossomed nad we have 2 full shuls. Rabbi Berg's shul- ateres Rosh and Rabbi Veiner- Shaar Hashamayim. It is a beautiful community. It is a frum community but really yeshivish. It is a very sought out neighborhood.

feel free to ask me any questions

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 3:47 pm
I live there and my DH davens at Rabbi Viener shul. The neighborhood is beautiful. But it's very wealthy and materialistic. That doesn't mean the people aren't nice and don't give a lot of tzedakah. They do. But people can feel very uncomfortable if they are not in the same income bracket.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 3:47 pm
I live there and my DH davens at Rabbi Viener shul. The neighborhood is beautiful. But it's very wealthy and materialistic. That doesn't mean the people aren't nice and don't give a lot of tzedakah. They do. But people can feel very uncomfortable if they are not in the same income bracket.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 4:13 pm
5*Mom wrote:
I have cousins in Wesley Hills who are just the way you describe yourselves, if that helps.

Thank you for this information. From what I was seeing and the few times I visited it seemed like it would be a good fit. Do you know what area they are in? What are considered the Wesley Hills boundries?

amother wrote:
I grew up there and I currently live close by. When my family moved 13 years ago it was mostly modern orthodox. Now it has blossomed nad we have 2 full shuls. Rabbi Berg's shul- ateres Rosh and Rabbi Veiner- Shaar Hashamayim. It is a beautiful community. It is a frum community but really yeshivish. It is a very sought out neighborhood.

feel free to ask me any questions

Thank you so much for this informaion as well. We stopped by Rabbi Veiner's shul once and it seemed really nice. Very similar to the shul DH daven's by. DH went to Ner Yisroel and there seemed to be a nice number of guys like him. That said we don't know much about it other than his one stop to daven mincha and a few lunches at the purple pear Smile

It seem really pretty, though the commute to the city seems a little atrocious, I like the look of the town, the homes and the atmosphere. One poster mentioned that there are different areas of Wesley Hills. Can you clarify this? What are the different areas/boundaries. Where are the main areas that people live? I found some houses online that look really nice, but I don't know if they are in the right areas. I definitely want to be near other young people and families and would love to have other kids on the block.

You mentioned that its a frum community but also really yeshivish. Was that a typo or is Wesley Hills really yeshivish? Did you mean to say that it is a frum community but *not* really yeshivish. I thought it was more modern - not really modern orthodox per say, but more modern yeshivish. Rabbi Veiner's shul seemed more what I would consider modern yeshivish, very into torah, but a nice mix and lots of working families.

Any thoughts on the schools there? How is the english education?

amother wrote:

Can you clarify what you mean by very wealthy and materialistic? Everyone's standards are a little different. I grew up in NY so I am a little materialistic, but I am also a really down to earth person and value that in others. DH and I are both professionals and make about 275K per year total but we are pretty early in our careers so we expect to make more down the road. Are most people our age (late 20s/early 30s) in a much higher income bracket, or is it somewhat of a mix?

Since we both work long hours, we need full time (and probably live in) help. Would this be weird?

Are the people friendly? I work a lot so I am concerned about being able to meet people. Is it the type of place where women go to kiddush? How difficult is it to get involved?

I guess my biggest question, that I mentioned a few times, is where do people live, what are the streets and the boundaries? Are there areas that are considered more young etc.

Thank you!

ez-pass

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 4:22 pm
I meant not really yeshivish but very frum.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 4:37 pm
I am the amother who said the area of wesley hills near rabbi viener's shul was wealthy and materialistic. (There is another area of wesley hills which is on the other side of 306).

This number is based on my family's budget. If you make at least 350k a year and have 4 kids you will be ok. You will be able to afford a house, tuition and not feel poor. But you won't be going away on vacation or going to a hotel for Pesach. Most people make a lot more.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 4:40 pm
A mother again from the materialistic and 350k posts.

Also most wives don't work. Or if they do its part time or flexible like speach therapy or real estate. There are a few women drs. But if you aren't staying home and going to Tehillim group or cheesed stuff for your kids school you also may have trouble making friends.

Everyone has lots of cleaning help and child care help. Live in help is common even if the wife stays home.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 5:51 pm
amother wrote:
I am the amother who said the area of wesley hills near rabbi viener's shul was wealthy and materialistic. (There is another area of wesley hills which is on the other side of 306).

This number is based on my family's budget. If you make at least 350k a year and have 4 kids you will be ok. You will be able to afford a house, tuition and not feel poor. But you won't be going away on vacation or going to a hotel for Pesach. Most people make a lot more.

People in their 20s are making a lot more? My husband is 30 and a lawyer for a big firm and makes 175K for now but obviously will make more over time. I am 26 and work I finance and make 100K +/-depending on bonus. I am surprised that you are saying more people our age are making a lot more. I would think we would at least be average. But I guess that's why I asked, since I know there are different standards everywhere.

Can you give me a better idea of what you would consider the borders to be of the neighborhood by vieners shul? What is the other side of wesley hills like and what is the difference? Where do most people send to school?

How often do things come for sale? It doesn't seem like much is on the market near rav veiner's shul.

How does wesley hills compare with Pomona?

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 6:18 pm
The people in Rabbi Viener's shul are not in their 20's. maybe when it first started years ago. Now everyone is in their 30's or 40's with at least 3 or 4 kids.

Pomona is cheaper. The houses older and its a more modern crowd. People who used to live near Rabbi Viener's shul and felt the neighborhood was getting too right wing moved to Pomona.
There is a shul in Pomona but its in a basement of a house. Rabbi Viener's shul was in a basement too when it started but the community has lots of money and built a beautiful building. Now that it's an established neighborhood it's expensive. I bought my house 14 years ago for 500k. You can't do that any more in Rabbi Viener's neighborhood. A similar house next door just sold for over 800k. I think a small high ranch would go for 450k but it would be viewed as a tear down.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
The people in Rabbi Viener's shul are not in their 20's. maybe when it first started years ago. Now everyone is in their 30's or 40's with at least 3 or 4 kids.

Pomona is cheaper. The houses older and its a more modern crowd. People who used to live near Rabbi Viener's shul and felt the neighborhood was getting too right wing moved to Pomona.
There is a shul in Pomona but its in a basement of a house. Rabbi Viener's shul was in a basement too when it started but the community has lots of money and built a beautiful building. Now that it's an established neighborhood it's expensive. I bought my house 14 years ago for 500k. You can't do that any more in Rabbi Viener's neighborhood. A similar house next door just sold for over 800k. I think a small high ranch would go for 450k but it would be viewed as a tear down.

Is there an area of Wesley Hills that would be good for people like us (late 20s/early 30s) with only 1 kid? We like the idea of a good sized house because my husbands family lives far away and we want lots of room for people to stay with us. We have lived in apartments and are ready to settle down long term. I was planning on spending around $800K - $1M but I haven't even seen much for sale so I am curious how often things come on. What is the other side of wesley hills like?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 7:39 pm
I don't know much about the other side of wesley hills except that it's not as much in demand and there is more inventory there. Not many people in their 20s can spend a million on a house and pay 20,000 a year in taxes. A lot of young people on their 20's with one kid are moving to chestnut ridge which seems to be like welsey hills was 14 years ago when I moved there. Young families with one or two kids buying large houses to grow into for 500-600k. You can get large new house in chestnut ridge for that range and it is closer to NYC.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 8:58 pm
Chestnut Ridge is a pretty frum area... there are some people that are quite yeshivish. The general crowd there is not very materialistic and they are hoping to sort of keep it that way if possible.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating