Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Worried and feel so bad

amother

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 8:37 pm
My dd is almost 18 months.
She has had a runny nose all week, had trouble sleeping and lack of interest in food. No fever. She is teething (her molars it looks like).
I have also been really sick and stuck in bed so DH took her to the dr. The dr. said there was a small amt of fluid in her ear but not much however he would be aggressive and give omniceft, a 10 day antibiotic, so that in 2 days she doesn't come down with a full blown ear infection. He also said he felt everything was related to teething.

Dh came home and I was in bed but I decided I don't want to medicate my dd if she doesn't need it, we can wait a day if she seems worse then I would start the antibiotic. I do not want her to get used to it. Better we see if she is really in need for it.

But I was too late. DH told our sitter to give it to her. And when I came down bc the sitter was leaving, she told me she gave it but my dd spit half out. So she gave her a little more. I was SO upset! You do not mess with an antibiotics dosage. I didn't say anything to the sitter but called my pharmacy and they said my dd may get an upset stomach and some dr.'s may say not to take a dose tomorrow then.

Anyway, I will call the dr. but can I stop the antibiotic after one day and wait to see if she gets worse, as per my original plan? I really dont want to do 10 days of medicine if my dd does not need it.

I feel horrible that I was not around to oversee this all.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 8:39 pm
Is what my sitter did terrible? I would never give more antibiotic like it's candy....I'd say she got what she got and we'll do it again tomorrow.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
My dd is almost 18 months.
She has had a runny nose all week, had trouble sleeping and lack of interest in food. No fever. She is teething (her molars it looks like).
I have also been really sick and stuck in bed so DH took her to the dr. The dr. said there was a small amt of fluid in her ear but not much however he would be aggressive and give omniceft, a 10 day antibiotic, so that in 2 days she doesn't come down with a full blown ear infection. He also said he felt everything was related to teething.

Dh came home and I was in bed but I decided I don't want to medicate my dd if she doesn't need it, we can wait a day if she seems worse then I would start the antibiotic. I do not want her to get used to it. Better we see if she is really in need for it.

But I was too late. DH told our sitter to give it to her. And when I came down bc the sitter was leaving, she told me she gave it but my dd spit half out. So she gave her a little more. I was SO upset! You do not mess with an antibiotics dosage. I didn't say anything to the sitter but called my pharmacy and they said my dd may get an upset stomach and some dr.'s may say not to take a dose tomorrow then.

Anyway, I will call the dr. but can I stop the antibiotic after one day and wait to see if she gets worse, as per my original plan? I really dont want to do 10 days of medicine if my dd does not need it.

I feel horrible that I was not around to oversee this all.
you need to ask that to your dr not to pple here. I wouldnt trust someones OPINION or past experience. This is a case for a dr. even if someone had the same thing with their child, there could be differences and I wouldnt trust it. good luck and hope ur little sweetie feels better soon.

SV

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 8:44 pm
I agree that your babysitter probably should have asked you before giving the medicine to your dd (unless your dh told her to give it? in which case, she wouldn't know that you were against it), but I don't think what she did was "terrible". I've had this situation before when the baby spit up or threw up right after I gave medicine, and I wasn't sure if I should give more medicine or not. Refua sheleima to you and your dd!

And yes, I would ask the pediatrician before stopping the antibiotic after one dose.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 8:53 pm
OP here
Thanks so much for the replies.
My sitter was told by Dh to give the medicine (something he shouldnt have done, I was home, I would have given it....) but when dd spit some out I just think she shouldnt have estimated what she spit out and given more. That was her judgment call.
She also did not read the label on the bottle which said not to give w/in 2 hours of a vitamin and she gave the medicine simultaneously with dd's vitamin. I asked my pharmacy and they said that means neither will be absorbed as well.

I hope they will allow me to stop it and resume it if she seems to need it. I really do not want to medicate her for 10 days now if she doesnt even really get sick Sad

drumjj

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:17 am
I personally wouldnt have started with the medicine. but once already started you have to continue to give it. why has he given so much antibiotics, really odd that for an ear infection sorry, my daughter has had many ear infections and she has never been on antibiotics for more than five days. about the spitting medicine out I think if she gave a tiny bit more I wouldnt worry but I was told by health care ppl not to repeat if a kid spits it out just wait for the next dosage.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 8:46 am
Op here
Well I wasn't there so I do not know how much more my sitter gave. She seemed to feel half came out so it's possible she gave another 1/2 tsp.
I spoke to my dr. already and was told I can stop the medicine since it was only one day and that if my dd seems sick in a couple of days I can bring her in and if she then really does need the medicine we'd give it then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics