Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How to renew expired greencard???

mama mia 123

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 8:27 pm
a relative of mine lives in ny and has an expired greencard(israel) for 8 years!what does she have to do to renew it??was anyone in such a situation that can help me help her out??
any info is appreciated!

sruth1

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 8:39 pm
She needs to contact an imigration lawyer immediately because she is currently in the country ilegally and if should get caught for any reason can be deported.

mama mia 123

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 8:44 pm
omg!!shes been in and out of hospital...I wonder if a doctors letter will help!!

Strudel

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 9:24 pm
I don't think the letter will help much.
She needs a lawyer asap.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 7:10 am
if your relative is a green card holder then that means that she has lawful permanent resident styaus in the united states. She will not be deported for having an expired green card. her card is expired not her resident staus. There is no need to get an immigration lawyer either, all that they will do is charge you money to do something that you relative can do for herself. go to www.uscis.gov and download the form I-90 whickh is the application to renew permanent resident card. the fee is $290. its that simple.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 8:32 pm
brooklyn wrote:
if your relative is a green card holder then that means that she has lawful permanent resident styaus in the united states. She will not be deported for having an expired green card. her card is expired not her resident staus. There is no need to get an immigration lawyer either, all that they will do is charge you money to do something that you relative can do for herself. go to www.uscis.gov and download the form I-90 whickh is the application to renew permanent resident card. the fee is $290. its that simple.

AFAIK, you're correct. However, I would recommend that the OP find out first if there's a time limit that one can live in the US with an expired card before she files.

mama mia 123

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 12:01 pm
u guys r amazing!!I was clueless where to start!!
thanks

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 12:31 pm
I renewed mine but before it expired so not comparable really. Submittted the form with a check, INS (I guess they're called differently now?) will mail you to notify the date/time you're supposed to show up to their office to take your photo/finger prints etc. Green card came in the mail some weeks after that.

mama mia 123

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 1:04 pm
thanks how much did ya have to pay?

Grace

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 1:26 pm
AFAIK, speaking from experience it is a major problem if your green card has expired, if that Green card was a temporary green card. There ARE complications non the less (such as traveling out of the country) and it would be worthwhile to consult with an immigration lawyer. I can give you the name of a truly competent and hard working, frum immigration lawyer, she is based in CH.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 8:33 am
Again, dont waste your money on a lawyer. This is a simple administartive thing. The lawyer will be charging you for doing something you can do yourself. Why would you pay someone a few hundred dollars to fill out a form and mail it for you. (If that is what you want to do then feel free to send me $200 and I will gladly mail in a copleted I-90 for you. Of course that is in addition to the USCIS fee). You are not in deportation proceedings, if you were then I would say get the lawyer, but just to fill out a form? I am not just talking out of my hat by the way lets just say that I know this because of my job.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 8:38 am
If you have to travel out of the country then you can go to 26 Federal plaza and get a temporay I-551 stamp (known as an adit stamp) placed in your passport. This is all that you need to show that you have lawful permanent resident status in the U.S. The airlines will accept the stamp as proof for boarding and on arrival in the U.S. CBP will verify your status and admit you as an lpr.

shluchamom

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 11:44 am
I recently had a similar situation not 8 years but six months or so and I called them and they said you are not illegal in america just employers might not hire her (which doesn't seem to be an issue here) and she might have trouble if she travels but otherwise you can just renew it. If you want more info call the UJO in williamsburgh they don't charge for advice and will let you know but as far as I know you can just renew it unless her green card was a conditional one.

BZBEE

Post Fri, Aug 13 2010, 11:41 am
I suggest you contact a lawyer asap.
I renewed mine, with absolutely no fee, or lawyer.
I have been using UJO since I first applied. No lawyer fees or anything.
If you have any questions you can call them @ 718-643-9700
I'm not sure if they are able to help in a situation where a person overstays 8 years, but doesn't harm to try.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries