Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Kingsborough Community College

doubter

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 11:47 am
Hello, I might attend Kingsborough, as a frum woman I am wondering if any of you have attended, are they accommodating regarding Yom Tov? I would love to hear your experience just to get an idea..

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 1:49 pm
123stella wrote:
Hello, I might attend Kingsborough, as a frum woman I am wondering if any of you have attended, are they accommodating regarding Yom Tov? I would love to hear your experience just to get an idea..

They are not as accommodating as Brooklyn and Queens Colleges (two senior colleges in the CUNY system). They have a very diverse population, and the majority of students are not frum. In my experience (as an educator), most professors may not be understanding. If I were you, I would do the following:
1. E-mail (so it's in writing!) each professor individually at the start of the semester, alerting them to YT dates and other days of religious observance.
2. Tell them that you understand you are responsible for all work, assignments, and tests that fall out on those days.
3. If you encounter any problems, speak to the chair of the dept from the very beginning.

A lot of students try to "pull things over" on professors. This is why you need to be very proactive in stating your absences ahead of time.

Hope this helps, and mazel tov on going to school!

doubter

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 2:10 pm
Thanks so much for the advice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries