Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Passaic: Hillel virsus Yeshiva Ketana

cute mommy

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 9:34 pm
I have been living in Passaic for 4 years now. Time went by so quickly. I have a daughter who will be starting her 4th year already in ykp, YIKES I cannot believe it. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right school choice, this topic is in my mind 24/7. I have a daughter who will be going to the Y for kindergarden, and don't know if to put her in after for pre-1- A into YKP or Hillel, and maybe even put my other one into Hillel. I feel like my daughters can benefit from a smaller school, smaller class room, more of an open minded atmosphere. In YKP they were pretty much helpful in the special needs my daughter needed, but sometimes I got the feeling they have too much students to handle to attend to everyones needs, like only one social worker for the whole elementary girls building. I always feel overwhelmed when I walk into the office there. I barely made any friends with parents from the school, some are very friendly, but I find many to be clicky , maybe that is just my problem, I always feel different than everyone else, like that I never fit in, but still I find many women here to be snobby, and alot of mothers from Hillel I find friendlier and less judgemental.I sent my daughter to YKP in the first palce, because it reminded me of bais yaacov of BP, where I went to as a small child, more of the heimishe atmosphere that I want for my children, its heimish but I am not so sure if it is a warm school. They are also pretty helpful and understanding when it comes to tuition assistance. I come from a heimishe background, and my husbands parents are baalei teshuva but he grew up more modern yeshivish, and we today just look like regular frum people, but I have that european heimishe mentality in me, eventhough I lived in Israel for along time and went to dati leumi torani schools there. So could you guys help me , what are the pros and cons about Hilell, is it worth switching? I want my daughters to feel like they are part of it, come home happy with a good feeling about school, and for me to feel comfortable about where I send my child and possible get to know more people. I attended the YKP dinner once and never again I told myself, I barely knew a soul there, if I happened to recognize someone it was the typical hi how are you sort of thing everyone there looked too good and I was so intimidated at the time plus pregnant .trust me I know how to put on a show, but didnt feel comfortable doing it at a ykp dinner where I felt I wouldnt know many. is there anyone out there like me? that you know alot of peopel in the community, but they aren't really your friends? ok I said enough.Thanks for listening.

LoveMy2Kids

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 9:44 pm
I have my kids in YKP. I can relate to a lot of what you said. What grade is your daughter in? In regards to the clickiness of the parents I hear what you're saying, but I have made friends with a few of the moms in my kids's classes. I'm friends with some, friendly with some others, and the rest who needs them. If you need someone to commiserate with let me know. Smile

cute mommy

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 10:14 pm
Hi, well my daughter will be attending second grade, She made some nice friends, but just a few. she has alot of girls our age in our neighborhood, but its not like she gets together with them left and right.I think I have to learn how to be more out there, and stop thinking what others think. like when I attend siddur playes etc. I do not always have who to talk to, but bh this past year was much better, I guess I gained more confidence, but I do not always feel like I fit in, and what concerns me is if I put my kid in the right place or not? My husband wears jeans most of the time, and hardly a hat on shabbos, and if I could I would walk around main ave in flip flops.

eight

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 9:17 pm
Cute mommy - I would be interested in whether you decided to switch o Hillel or not and if yes we're you happy with your decision and if no did it turn out alright ?

cute mommy

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:08 pm
Hi . No we ended up staying in YESHIVA ketana. I have 3 girls there . One will be going to highschool next year . They made friends and we never bothered making the switch although my oldest said few times she thinks hillel would of been a better choice for her . We might switch our other 2 for next year but not sure yet . It also depends on where my 3 yo who will be four soon will be going to next year .

eight

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:54 am
Do you mind sharing , the reason why you still consider Hillel ( for your other 2 )

cute mommy

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:19 am
We feel our hashkafa in our family is more suitable . We are not a yeshivish family . But then again we might not make the switch since my girls are generally happy there and have friends and the school has always been good and helpful to us . Just us as parents feel we as a family are more suitable to hillel.

eight

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:02 am
Thx 😊
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics