Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Bone Marrow Donor - what should I do
Previous  1  2

yaakovsmom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 9:42 am
Whoa, awesome opportunity to get a huge mitzvah in right before Rosh Hashana! How often does anyone get the chance to literally save a life? I was called as a potential match once, but after further testing, was not compatible. At the time, I looked into donating stem cells, and it didn't seem like it would be to difficult, given what was at stake for the recipient. Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

sugaray

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 11:05 am
go get the rest of the testing done and if you are a match, then you will discuss it. what is the point of deciding now before you even know for sure?
that said, if I had the chance to save a life, even if the surgery would be hard on me and my family (which as ppl are saying, it isnt), I would hope that I would have the strength to take it. im imagining a family with a sick child or a sick mother...everyone is suffering and davening and hoping that a match will be found... and then the match wont donate because its too hard for them. what a disappointment. what a missed opportunity.
how many of us do something truly amazing in our lifetime? this would be something truly amazing! imagine the schar you would get for something like this.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 11:11 am
amother wrote:

Kol Hamekayeim nefesh achas... keilu kiyam olam maleh.

I think this says it all.

Amother, I understand your DH's concerns, both on a personal level (my DH was a match and I was 8 months pregnant, and I was scared that if s/t CH"V went wrong with the pregnancy, he would not be able to be there for me, I was very torn and I felt guilty feeling so selfish) and as a professional (I am a doctor, though not a hematologist or an oncologist Smile, so I understood the risks). But like the amother with the child with cancer (the one I quoted) said, this is the opportunity to save someone's life! It took a couple days for DH to be 100% back to himself and he had to take a few days off from work (they actually didn't even take the days from his vacation days- when he told his boss what he needed the time off for!), but it was worth it in the end. This is not just the opportunity to do a chessed for someone else- this is the opportunity to directly save someone else's life.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 11:36 am
I think this could be THE opportunity of your life. You can save someone's life. You can be responsible for future generations. I was called up but didn't get past the second set of testing. I feel like it's like winning the lottery.

DO it and save a life!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 12:09 pm
I have an uncle who donated bone marrow. He was only told that it is an eight-year-old boy. Nothing more.

According to his DD who told me about it, most of the time there is some relationship between the donor and the recipient, as it's near impossible for there to be a random genetic match. So even if you don't know the recipient, it's quite likely, as someone else posted, that he/she is Jewish.

My uncle asked his Rav and was advised to do it. The recipient and family opted for anonymity, and my uncle stipulated that he would love to meet the boy should he change his mind.

As far as I know, it took no more than a few days recovery.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 1:40 am
My kid had cancer,too, didn't need a transplant, He's fine now,B"H, but what if.....
As s/o said, Jews are almost certainly matches for Jews.
My sil just donated stem cells -apheresis- it wasn't the world's greatest experience, comfort-wise, yet he felt it is so meaningful it was worth it.
You can give a kid their life! Or give a child a mother, or give a family their grandfather! What an opportunity! Do it, do it!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics