Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Need help w/ my potato kugel
Previous  1  2

shanie5

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 11:47 am
watergirl wrote:
thank you all! However... I dont have a kugel blade, and also, when you all said grate potatos, doesnt that leave them in long slivers?

Grate means more like grinding. Shred leaves in long (or short) slivers. If all u have is a shredder, u can process in food processor after shredding.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 2:38 pm
I never squeeze out the juice that makes it dry...
try changing the potatoes you use also...it mite help.

ESB

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 5:53 pm
Not to take away the attention of the op but I need help too.

I make my kugel every week and throw it out every week, I thought practice makes perfect but it isnt happening.

My recipe is 6 potatos, 6 eggs, salt pepper and oil, and oil the pan. I use deep storage bekele.
I preheat oven to 500, in the food processor blend potatoes with eggs, pour it into bekele mix in salt pepper and oil. It doesnt have a shade of grey by the time it goes into the oven. I bake it on 500 for an hour and 400 another hour then 350 for another hour or so. And guess what its alway grey. Hard and grey. Can anyone help me?

shanie5

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 6:04 pm
Over cooking maybe?

What is a bekele?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 7:14 pm
ESB wrote:

I make my kugel every week and throw it out every week, I thought practice makes perfect but it isnt happening.

My recipe is 6 potatos, 6 eggs, salt pepper and oil, and oil the pan. I use deep storage bekele.
I preheat oven to 500, in the food processor blend potatoes with eggs, pour it into bekele mix in salt pepper and oil. It doesnt have a shade of grey by the time it goes into the oven. I bake it on 500 for an hour and 400 another hour then 350 for another hour or so. And guess what its alway grey. Hard and grey. Can anyone help me?
Try KBD's traditional potato kugel recipe one week. It's foolproof. (Omit the sugar though.)

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 7:17 pm
ESB wrote:

It sounds to me like 1: you're baking it way too long and 2: you're using too may eggs for the number of potatoes (unless those are enormous potatoes).

Try 10 medium potatoes, 5 eggs (I prefer to use 10 egg whites instead), ½ cup oil and 1 lg. onion.

Process everything together except oil. Heat oil in pan (a 9 x 13 disposable is good for this size recipe), and then pour in potato mixture and bake for one hour in a preheated 400-degree oven (uncovered).

If you want the kugel in overnight, then cover it tightly, bake for 45 minutes at 350, and then lower oven to 200 and leave it overnight.

reachout

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 8:59 pm
OP, you have many options. My kugal I wouldn't give up so fast! I tried many ways of doing it untill I was satisfied with this recipe.

Preheat oven 550.
beat 9 eggs in a bowl.
grease a 9x13 baking pan. (thats a bekele!)
peel and grate 10 eggs, loose or 5 lb bag. (the bag has smaller potatoes) I use the kugal blade however you can do it by hand with a good grater. The one that is silver with one handle. If you do it by hand you will need to grate it in the eggs to avoid the potatoes from turning brown.
Immediately after the potatoes are grated I pour in 1 cup of seltzer. (preferably a new bottle) or boiling water.
combine the eggs and potatoes add 3/4 cup of oil. Salt and black pepper. Don't know how much!
Mix well in baking pan and put it right away in the oven.
Bake 550 for 50 minutes.
Then 350 for an hour.

Let us know how your kugel tasted and which recipe you chose!

Grandmama

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 11:01 pm
I think this may boil down to a matter of taste.
Onions will give the kugel a sweetish taste that not everyone likes.
I prefer to throw a zuchinni in to have a healthier kugel, and smoother texture.
More oil will taste better, but have more calories.
Egg whites will be healthier, but not as yellow or as tasty.
Everyone needs to experiment with how they like it to their tastes.
Personally my best kugel is the one grated by hand, and fried in a good quality frying pan.
Yummy.
But when making in quantity, into the oven it goes.

YW123

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 11:18 pm
my recipe has sugar in it (2 Tablespoons for 8 potatoes) and let me tell ya....THIS IS THE SECRET TO A NOT NORMAL AMAZING POTATO KUGEL!!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 8:39 am
YW123 wrote:
my recipe has sugar in it (2 Tablespoons for 8 potatoes) and let me tell ya....THIS IS THE SECRET TO A NOT NORMAL AMAZING POTATO KUGEL!!

Yes, I do this too -- it isn't written down in my recipe so I forgot to include it.

And sure, if you don't like the taste of the onion, leave it out.

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 20 2010, 10:44 am
so I tried a kugel, but was thrown off because I realized I didnt put in flour! So I went back to look at all the recepies and in the time that took, my kugel turned colors! But I tried...

ESB

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 9:27 pm
So I tried a potato kugel again. I beated 7 eggs put aside, In a food processor grated 8 potatoes, mixed with the egg added salt oil seltzer and black pepper. Mixed and put it in a 500 preheated oven. I baked the kugel in a 10" deep round pan. I baked it for one hour on 500 one hour on 400 and one hour on 350. Its still alittle grey, not dark grey but not bright yellow. HELP! but its edible and really delcious.

gitty6

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 4:48 pm
BELIEVE IT OR NOT.....THE BEST SECRET TO KEEPING YOUR POTATO KUGEL WHITE IS BY ADDING A PINCH OF BUFFERED VITAMIN C!
Very Happy TRY IT; YOU'LL NEVER HAVE A BROWN POTATO KUGEL AGAIN!
LET ME KNOW YOUR RESULTS.

piece

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 5:24 pm
10 med pot, 2 larger onions, 2 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp pepper, 5 eggs, line bottom of pan with oil, 1 - 1 1/2 c. water.
first grate pot with onions - always put in an onion when you grate pot; that keeps it from turning colors. leave in blender & meanwhile; cover 9x13 pan with oil, add the eggs, salt & pepper & mix well. add the grated potatoes & onions & mix into the egg oil mixt.
flatten out & add 1 - 1 1/2 cups water.
bake 375 till nicely browned (it can take a while)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes