Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How does it work when you want to switch pediatricians?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 12:19 pm
I am thinking of switching my kids to a new pediatrician.
Should I call the new doctor and ask to have a consultation with them first? What happens at the consultation? Will they think that is silly?
And then would I then need to ask my current pediatrician to send me or the new doctor my kids records?
I assume there is really no way other than having a consultation to see if the new doctor is right for us - it's not like I can take one of my kids to them for a well check if they do not have my kids records so the only way to get some sense is to sit and talk I guess, right?

yfrh

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 1:43 pm
You don't have to tell the new Dr or the current Dr why you are considering switching although they may ask. You could say you want a change or gender of your children. A new Dr does not need all you records on the first visit. I have moved a lot and it takes time for the records to arrive. may you have success with your choices. It is very important to feel comfortable with the pediatriician.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 2:26 pm
pediatrician amother here- hope I can offer some advice that will be helpful to you OP!

first of all, kudos on switching. there are too many parents out there who are downright frustrated and unhappy with their kids' doctors. I am not trying to "elevate" my profession to anything so special (as you can make the same mashal about your CPA, your cleaning lady, your lawyer, or anyone else you do business with), but finding the right doctor is kindof like making a good shidduch. If Dr. A is "not for you," that doesn't mean you are a worse parent or they are necessarily a bad doctor (though they may be!), it means it is not a match. You don't see eye to eye, and therefore cannot communicate comfortably. and nothing is more important than effective communication in a doctor patient relationship.

Anyhow, here is how I think you should proceed:
A: depending on the practice and how efficiently things run, obtaining all your kids' medical records can take 5 minutes, or can take 2 weeks. If you don't feel comfortable with the "risk" of being asked "why you are leaving," you can always be vague and chock it up to "insurance issues" or downright lie (not that I am advocating lying!) and say you are moving. Between me and you, saying you are moving, will usually get them to produce your records the fastest (often times, if possible, on the spot). Just an 'insiders tip.'

B: You do not need copies of your kids' records to set up a well visit with a new doctor. Eventually, they will need immunization records. They won't refuse to see you if you don't have medical records for them. So set up whichever appointments you need (except ones for vaccinations- for those, you do need records), and consider it a "test run."

alternatively, you can not do any of part a, you can hold off on leaving the first doctor, till you are fully confident that you like the second. They aren't sharing notes behind your back or anything Wink

Good luck in your search!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 2:59 pm
Thanks so much for the replies.

One of my kids needs a well visit that does not require a vaccine so perhaps I should call and set up an appt. for him and consider that a trial run. The other child does needs vaccines (it's an 18 m checkup) so maybe I will take the child who won't be getting vaccines first to see how it goes.

So I really can call a new practice out of the blue and say I want to schedule a well visit for my child and just go in and meet a new dr. just like that?

theotherone

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 6:31 pm
we scheduled a consultation with the new ped. and discussed our concerns about the previous practice as well as some concerns we had with the new ped.'s practice. he was very open and honest and after that meeting we decided it was a good shidduch. I called the old practice and told them I needed my childrens records sent to a new ped.--they sent me a release form and I signed it and it was taken care of. no questions asked. honestly I think peds these days are so overwhelmed with patients that they really don't care that you are leaving or wonder why.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics