Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Candle-lighting
1  2  3  4  Next

When do you USUALLY light candles erev Shabbos?
before the time it says on the calendar  
 17%  [ 13 ]
exactly the time it says on the calendar  
 22%  [ 17 ]
within a minute or two after the time it says on the calendar  
 27%  [ 21 ]
oy, don't ask ... late ... down to the wire! :(  
 32%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 76

Motek

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 6:31 pm
what can we do to get ourselves to light a few minutes EARLY?

proudmom

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 6:35 pm
In my house it is so hard. Even when I cooked most of the food on thursday I was still rushing.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 6:42 pm
Oy me too.... I am so bad at lighting closer to candle lighting time. I guess I want to sneak in those things I thought I wouldn't have time to do like make-up.

What I have gotten better at is being relaxed before shabbos. Making sure that there is shalom bias.

technic

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 6:48 pm
motek - set ur clock fast Idea

Ozmom

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 7:44 pm
alot of women use up those 18 minutes till shkia and in reality you aren't supposed to.
My father would always yell at me telling me there is no such thing. Lighting time is lighting time.
not that I'm so innocent.........

roza

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 8:35 pm
the question of the poll should be: when do you take a shower before shabbos?
this is more practical I think.

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 8:39 pm
Roza Wink Ok now after 16yrs of marriage, I light candle lighting time on time no more down to the wire like I used to.

miriam

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 11:39 pm
ShaynaRochel wrote:
What I have gotten better at is being relaxed before shabbos. Making sure that there is shalom bias.

Me, too. One week , I just realized that it is a bigger priority for everyone to be happy and relaxed about Shabbos than freaking out b/c the house is not 100% ready.

gryp

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 9:15 am
the reason I like this topic is because it says (dont know source, but im sure someone else does) that those who welcome Shabbos early will be zoche to welcome Moshiach early. this shows how important it is to at least be on time to lighting. I know some families have a minhag to light 10 minutes early because their grandmother, right before she passed away, made each of her children promise her that they would take on this minhag.

Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 10:12 am
with me, it depends if it's winter of summer. I work on Fridays, and in the winter I go crazy!! in spring, summer and fall I light before the time, but in winter.....it's a marathon!

IM-MA

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 10:49 am
Ozmom wrote:
alot of women use up those 18 minutes till shkia and in reality you aren't supposed to.
My father would always yell at me telling me there is no such thing. Lighting time is lighting time.
not that I'm so innocent.........

Sometimes people are so intent on others keeping the halacha but miss the purpose of the mitzva. If candle-lighting is to bring Shalom bayis, then isn't it wrong for someone to yell at someone to light on time? It reminds me about people arguing about moshiach.

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 2:57 pm
Well I decided to learn Smile and my with my fathers prompting.
Here I am trying to teach hilchos shabbos and I myself have to leave everything for the last min.

But the real awakener came,since every clock in my house says a diff time, I almost couldn't light embarrassed

Getting a drop more spiritual in my old age!!

Last edited by Tefila on Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

motheroftwo

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:21 pm
I find no matter if it's winter or summer I'm always in a mad rush in the last second!!!

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:25 pm
that's precisely why I started this thread!

I find that I can get 99% of things ready on time, even well before the time, but the last 1% Exploding anger argh.

I say to myself: NO EXCUSES because it's really not excusable for me. If the time for lighting is 5:00, I-should-have-everything-ready-no-later-than-15-minutes-before, and go into Shabbos like a MENTSCH, not like a MANIAC.

It's the SHABBOS QUEEN who has arrived!

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:39 pm
[Just a halachic note that you should be aware of- one may not light EARLIER than plag. this can be an issue in the summer when we bring in shabbos early. if you light a few minutes before the community is being mkabel (early) shabbos, you could be lighting before plag, which is just as good as lighting candles on Thursday!]
In this case, everyone knows that you should light candles "on time," so by us discussing it we're not causing anyone to do something b'Mazid- they already are! now, I don't think lighting during those 18 minutes is an avaira- b'mazid or b'shogaid. I do believe that lighting AFTER shkia, is being m'challel shabbos. so if anyone did not know that they cannot light candles after shkia, and now we informed them, then we are changing their potential aveira from B'shogaig to B'mazid.

zuncompany

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:55 pm
I was taught it is fine to light during those 18 mins... that there was nothing wrong with that if you need the time. Just light before shkia. Its best to light on time, but there is no avera with lighting during the 18 mins.

sara

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 4:08 pm

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 5:19 pm
I think one SHOULD light at candle-lighting zman (18 minutes b4 shkia). but if she didn't she still has 18 minutes where it will not be ossur for her to light. why do we light 18 minutes before shkia- isn't it because of tosefes shabbos (adding onto shabbos)? [note: I'm not sure what I'm trying to imply with that question, so don't take any implications from it!!!]

sarahd

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 6:29 pm
I once mentioned to my cousin that I often light after the zman on the calendar and he was shocked because of tosefes Shabbos. I said that's a nice minhag, but it's okay to light at shkia too and he said, absolutely not. Tosefes Shabbos is a chiyuv. Of course, the amount of time one adds can vary, but you have to be mekabel Shabbos before shkia. Since then I have been more makpid.

I was also mekabel (b"n) a while ago to try and be ready before the last second and so far I've been successful almost every week. One of my tips is to refrain from turning on the computer at all on Friday.....saves eons of time.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 6:52 pm
we add to shabbos 2 make up for Chava's het. She caused the light of the creation to diminish, we add by lightin earlyer.
I have no idea where number 18 came from.

1 cannot light at shkiya, as it's too late, she'll be mechalel shabbos.

even a few min b4 shliya is adding to Shabbos.

see no prob if 1 is a bit late
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics