Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Candle-lighting
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

When do you USUALLY light candles erev Shabbos?
before the time it says on the calendar  
 17%  [ 13 ]
exactly the time it says on the calendar  
 22%  [ 17 ]
within a minute or two after the time it says on the calendar  
 27%  [ 21 ]
oy, don't ask ... late ... down to the wire! :(  
 32%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 76

Motek

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 9:50 am
Quote:
One of my tips is to refrain from turning on the computer at all on Friday.....saves eons of time.

Yael? Think we can have the forum shut down on Fridays? That way, we'll know we aren't missing anything and can prepare for Shabbos in peace! 8)

Tefila

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 12:16 pm
Quote:
Yael? Think we can have the forum shut down on Fridays? That way, we'll know we aren't missing anything and can prepare for Shabbos in peace!

I protest.... NO WAY Very Happy

sarahd

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 3:28 pm
xxx

Last edited by sarahd on Mon, Mar 28 2005, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

1stimer

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 3:45 pm
my husband is out on friday morning, he is also goes to kollel an hour before mincha on friday - which leaves just a couple of hours when he is home and can help me do things (when he is not home I can't do anything because I am busy with baby!). After a couple of frantic weeks, I learnt leave NOTHING for friday. So now all I leave for friday is cleaning the bathrooms and the floors, and making the cholent, everything else gets done before friday or not! so now fridays are relaxed (well, sort of ) but I am almost always ready by the time he leaves for kollel.

Oh and I forgot to add also showers for both of us on friday (not baby unless I have time).

sarahd

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 4:27 pm
Yeah, I also do pretty much everything Thursday night, but the potato kugel and cholent still have to be made on Friday, even if I prepare the potatoes the night before, and a few odds and ends, plus kitchen and bathroom and vacuuming the other rooms. That is all, but it takes at least 2-2.5 hours.

Rivka

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 4:42 pm
I am quite lucky in the winter my husband will make shabbos coz he is home and I am at work. But finishing work doesn't mean giving me time do have a shower and I still need to clean the house. So I am mad rushing to have a shower which is about 5 mins, no makeup coz I have no time and so I either light right on the dot or a couple mins over. My husband would go crazy that I was so late, but he asked our rav who said it was ok if I lit 5 mins late. But I do like to light on time. In the summer the community seems to bring in shabbos hours earlier, but I don't because I don't have the time to do that due to when I finish work, but I bring it in earlier than I would need to so that it is in before my husband comes home from shul, coz it would be weird if I lit and he had davened.

hadasa

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 5:31 pm
Rivkah - I think you should ask a Rov about that. As far as I know, the wife is obligated to accept Shabbos before her husband says Borchu in Shul.

roza

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 4:24 pm
I am a deadline person and enjoy the race but I know that not everything has to be finished so I know how to stop.
really - who said that that every single salad has to be done before shabbos?
so I don't go crazy - just the main stuff has to be done.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 4:28 pm
this Friday, I thought - if I think that I'll post when I lit today, that will motivate me to do it right!

so here goes:

this past Friday, I lit exactly the calendar time

I did not finish everything I wanted to do, and I wanted to light a bit earlier, but ... hope next week will be better!

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 4:30 pm
Wow Motek thats great do it 3 weeks in a row and it will become automatic thats what happend to me! Wink

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 5:31 pm
freilich wrote:
Wow Motek thats great do it 3 weeks in a row and it will become automatic thats what happend to me! Wink

I usually light either on time or maybe a minute or two late

for a long while, I deliberately lit a bit early - I want to get back to that, even five minutes early

hadasa

Post Sun, Feb 20 2005, 6:08 pm
I was inspired enough by this thread to really want to light on time this week - but my daughter was dawdling, and I couldn't light before her, so we ended up a few minutes late anyway. Crying

Motek

Post Mon, Feb 21 2005, 4:09 pm
heh heh, that's why Rochel, after giving birth to Yosef, said "osaf Hashem es cherpasi" - Hashem "gathered" my shame, Rashi: as long as a woman doesn't have a child, she doesn't have someone to blame! 8)

hadasa

Post Mon, Feb 21 2005, 6:26 pm
Wink

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 3:37 pm
sarahd- how long do you normally daven for? could you say a shorter davening on fridays, or now you say the bare minimum? I'm sure you fall under the category of anusah, and are not obligated to daven, but usually women WANT to anyway.

Motek

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 2:18 pm
well, thanks to this thread, I lit 7, yes, that's SEVEN minutes early this past Friday

I figured that if I decide to post that I lit early, that will motivate me to do it, and it worked Smile

hope this won't be seen as bragging

what it is, is positive reinforcement I'm giving to myself Wink

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 2:22 pm
good for you Motek, kol hakavod.

if we can strengthen each other in our hachlatos here, then what a wonderful site this can be!

Tefila

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 2:26 pm
Quote:
if we can strengthen each other in our hachlatos here, then what a wonderful site this can be!

Psss I've already b/come more spiritual here and my husband is quite impressed

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 5:52 pm
how's it going motek?
these past few weeks, my husband davened BEFORE I was allowed to light. so I was really ready when the time came!

proudmom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 5:55 pm
I light candles between 6:45 and 7:00. I feel really good about it. I go to sleep early, I dont have to eat late.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics