Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Candle-lighting
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

When do you USUALLY light candles erev Shabbos?
before the time it says on the calendar  
 17%  [ 13 ]
exactly the time it says on the calendar  
 22%  [ 17 ]
within a minute or two after the time it says on the calendar  
 27%  [ 21 ]
oy, don't ask ... late ... down to the wire! :(  
 32%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 76

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 6:26 pm
I'd love to make an early Shabbos but we don't do that. Fortunately though, the time for candle-lighting (sunset, ois Shabbos) is getting earlier and earlier.

how's it going? I slipped back to my original light exactly on time to within a minute or two of the time and since you're reminding me - bli neder, this week will be better! Very Happy

proudmom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 6:30 pm
Here in montreal there is a shul that takes in shabbos early and I am happy my DH found it. Another thing I like about this shul he comes home 1 1/2 hours earlier than usual during the day and the shul is about 2 blocks away.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 9:06 pm
I have to admit I'm not great about this, but my neighbor was. When she married, her husband told her that erev shabbos was very stressful in his house growing up and he asked her to take upon herself not to do anything after noon on Friday. She set the table, cooked, everything Thurday night. She is the calmest person on Fri. I have ever seen - she comes home from work (a teacher), puts her briefcase away, bathes her children, takes a shower, gets dressed - finished.

I thought it was interesting that her husband said that erev shabbos was really stressful for him as a child and really made me think about what I'm doing to my kids!

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 9:44 pm
B'H, chava mom thats the way I like to have my fridays. I don't take on anything extra on a friday as I like to come into shabbos calm. my shabbos is mostlyalways ready by 12:00, 1:00 pm. I do hope to keep this up when I have a bigger family.

RedVines

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 10:13 pm
On Thursday night I am so exhasusted How does one get it all done?!? My husband begs me to finish more on Thurs. LIke right now I made my challah dough and I need to wash the floor, but oy I am tired!

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 11:16 pm
I would beg you to do more earlier in the week!

I made challa this past Monday and they're in the freezer. They freeze beautifully.

RedVines

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 11:23 pm
I cant get the koach to start shabbos two days after it ends even though I know I should

RedVines

Post Fri, Jul 22 2005, 7:57 pm
Well I must report, that this week B"H I was done with shabbos soooo early that I made it up to my kids for all the weeks of mommy being crazy that I took them to the park!!! So now I can bring shabbos like a mentch!!!

Rochel Leah

Post Sat, Jul 23 2005, 9:47 pm
YASHER KOACH

chavamom

Post Sat, Jul 23 2005, 11:01 pm
I too got inspired to get all the food cooked on Thursday. Good thing too as my husband broke his arm Thursday night requiring an overnight visit to the ER! We didn't even have to cancel the guests in the end.

curlyhead

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 1:08 am
Quote:
On Thursday night I am so exhasusted How does one get it all done?!? My husband begs me to finish more on Thurs. LIke right now I made my challah dough and I need to wash the floor, but oy I am tired!

I agree I don't get much done thursday night because I am so tired. But I do try to put up the chicken and soup right after dinner or at least get it ready so I could put it up 1st thing in the morning

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 4:46 am
This is a really interesting thread. Throughout the years I have had a recurring nightmare, in which I am trying to bentch licht before shkia, and somehow the candles are not staying lit, and I keep trying to relight them... or I am looking for candles and can't find them as the sun dips lower , or I am trying desperately to get home from somewhere... and then I blessedly wake up.

My grandmother used to tell us that it was licht benschen ten or fifteen minutes before the time. I would always think she was making it up, just to make sure we'd light on time... but I actually heard that it was the Minhag Beis HaRav( the Rebbeim's household) to bentsh about 15 minutes earlier!( I don't think my bubbe knew that, but I guess she had her own minhag.)

I know that cooking earlier would help, but I personally don't like the taste of reheated chicken. To answer my own question: If I made everything else the night before, probably the chicken could wait for Friday.

For curiosity's sake, does anyone know how to make chicken taste fresh even when reheating?

sarahd

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 5:36 am
I like everything to be fresh too, so I prepare my chicken Thursday night and cook it on Friday. Ditto for soup, I peel the potatoes for the kugel, etc. On Friday I just put everything on the stove - takes me 20 minutes maximum and we have lovely fresh food for Shabbos. The only thing I do in advance is lukshen or carrot kugel and dessert if it keeps well.

miriam

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 10:17 am
I did a reverse Shabbos prep this week and it went pretty smoothly. (As smooth as it always does) I do almost everything on Friday. I cleaned in the morning and started cooking around 5. I got everything done and I even got a shower.

queen

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 10:37 am
miriam wrote:
I cleaned in the morning and started cooking around 5.

what time did you accept shabbos?!??!!!??!??!??!!
what would have happened if an emergency came up and you had to run out???????

miriam

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 10:39 am
Licht benthching here is 8:30

queen

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 10:43 am
We're invited out mostly, however the weeks that we ARE home, or entertaining for a meal- I cook thursday night.

(we do our shabbos menu/and shopping wed. night that all stuff is in the house already)

Whenever I leave things to be done Friday, the day becomes soo hectic and till the last minute.

I've even begun setting my shabbos table thursday night.

stem

Post Sun, Jul 24 2005, 12:09 pm
I also do my shabbos shopping wed. night, cook everything thurs night. I leave only the Cholent for friday, and even with just that, I find friday to be hectic with all the cleaning. I find that with small children around, you can't count on getting anything done, so I do everything at night when their sleeping.

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 3:21 pm
proudmom wrote:
I light candles between 6:45 and 7:00. I feel really good about it. I go to sleep early, I dont have to eat late.

proudmom, I don't know when plag is in montreal, but where I live it's a few minutes before 7. (a few weeks ago it was after 7), and as I wrote on the first page of this thread:
Quote:
one may not light EARLIER than plag. this can be an issue in the summer when we bring in shabbos early. if you light a few minutes before the community is being mkabel (early) shabbos, you could be lighting before plag, which is just as good as lighting candles on Thursday!]

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 8:59 pm
My son informed me lighting in Yerushalayim is 40 min b/4 shkiya as opposed to 18min here. Confused
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics