Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby having trouble making dirty diaper

amother

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 3:14 am
my baby (2 1/2 months) since birth makes less dirty diapers then usual.
I noticed he gets very kvetchy for a day before he makes and then is in a good mood after.
I asked my pediatrician and he checked and said something -- I think the hole is small and that's why he has a hard time.
he told me to put in a thermometer every day and then come back in a month and he will check again.

anyone else had this? He used a big name for it but I don't remember it to google it.
I feel so bad for my baby as he is obviously in pain and makes smelly gas. (and if I put the thermometer in it comes out dirty)

amother

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 4:58 pm
well my son has a problem with making dirty diapers but it caused more to constipation... did you doc say anything about that?? are you nursing or formula feeding? if formula then its very common to have a constipated baby and you can try a little prune juice or pear juice in a bottle and the thermometer works pretty good as well I had to do it for a few days to loosen the stool for my son and hes 10 months now and I still have to do it sometimes

elmos

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 9:41 pm
I have had issues with both my kidsbut my now 5month old had issues from about 5 weeks I had to use pedilax suppositories he was somiserable Inurse and my dr said give him 1oz prune juice with1oz water twice a day and it helps tremendously he is much happier now all the time.My dd wouldn't take prune juice so I gave brown sugar water or plain water which helped but she never got as bad as the baby. What you are describing is what we went thru but he was smaller

YW123

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 9:54 pm
My baby is exactly the same way. He is 5 months and having this problem since birth. He does not go for about 2 weeks at a time, gets extremely cranky, passes terrible smelling gas, thermometer comes out dirty, etc. My doc is EXTREMELY opposed to inducing bowel movements with thermometers for many reasons. He advised me to do the prune juice 1 ounce to 1 ounce water. I feel that has helped him.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 1:13 am
from what age can you give prune juice?

I have been giving water with grape sugar but I'm not sure it helps. B"H he is at the top of the chart in weight so it's not a nursing problem

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 9:50 am
Same issue with my second. Nothing at all to worry about. A breastfed baby can go for quite a while without having dirty diapers, and he won't be constipated.
Mine is now 3.5 and perfectly normal.

Starhavah

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 12:33 pm
My DD had this problem. It is a problem with the sphincter muscle being too tight. Prune juice and other laxative will not solve the problem. They only deal with the symptoms, not the cause. what are going to do give him/her laxative for the rest of his life? I was told it is common in preemies and my dd was preemie. You do not say if your child is.

I am not saying that some your babies have a constipation problem but her and mine did not.

The reason for using the thermometer is to attempt to stretch the muscle. What they did with DD was TMI WARNING) scroll past the rest of this if you do not want to see it(this the problem with using amother I cannot PM you).

The doctor stuck his finger in her backside and stretched the sphincter. Yes, it hurt her - a lot. He did it twice a few weeks (maybe 6) apart. After that she has had no further problems and she is 10 now. She does not remember it.

PM me of you want more information but that is really all there is to tell.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 1:04 pm
starhavah - I will pm you as I think my baby had what you child had - not constipation)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics