Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do we only live a hundred years?

amother

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 11:41 pm
We finally settle down after years and years of hardships, messed up childhoods pregnancies or men difficulties in marriage and other stuff and then diapers and messesss and laundry and tantrums etc. then marrying off our kids. and just when we can relax and have a little nachas we grow older and dont have energy. then we die. so we try to work on our middos and we work hard on everything and then we get old and die? and we cant have all relationships, friendships and kids with us? please enlighten me. is everything gone forever? sometimes I dont wanna live but when I do and think that one day everything will b gone what is it worth it all the pain and all the pride and all the happiness and all the smiles? one day everything will be forgotten.

Grandmama

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 1:40 am
The story goes like this.

A man was lying on the grass, looking at the sky. Amazed of G-d's creation of clouds. The man started to talk to G-d. He asked, "G-d, what is a million years to you?" G-d replied, "A million years to me is a minute." Then the man asked, "What is a million dollars to you?" G-d replied, "A penny." The man pondered for a while then asked one last time, "G-d, can I have a penny?" G-d replied, "In a minute."

The concept of time is ? What is time? Someone can live a short life, and make a huge impact.
Someone can live a long life, with many years spent as a vegetable or in dementia.

What is the value of life? How can we measure one life or another?

Everyone wants to live a life of quality.
If we perpetuate our ideals onto our offspring, then our life goes on, in a way.

I don't believe that life and death are two different things.
Our souls never die.

MamaBird

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:17 pm
as someone who has gone down the road of this way of thinking, all I can say is one thing. we will NEVER understand this thing called life and the way it works. the only thing we can do is realize that Hashem is there, He created this world the way He chose, and He has our best interests at heart. when I get down and depressed about certain facts of life, I try to remember all the bracha that Hashem has given me and continues to give--whether it's people in my life or the ability to see/hear/breathe on my own...and I try to tell myself that Hashem will take care of me and all of us...we just have to try to do our job and let Him do His. otherwise, I find myself going crazy with questions that will probably never get answered...maybe they're not meant to be understood...

ora_43

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
We finally settle down after years and years of hardships, messed up childhoods pregnancies or men difficulties in marriage and other stuff and then diapers and messesss and laundry and tantrums etc. then marrying off our kids. and just when we can relax and have a little nachas we grow older and dont have energy. then we die.

That's why it's so important to be happy in the moment. If you can't be happy when there's laundry to do or whatever other tasks in life, don't kid yourself that someday you'll be effortlessly happy. It's something to work on now, by finding things in life you enjoy, living in the moment, noticing the good.

Maybe those of us with a lot going on now will have more free time later in life, but more free time doesn't mean more happiness ("empty nest syndrome" does not refer to a feeling of euphoria at being done with the hard stuff).

Quote:
so we try to work on our middos and we work hard on everything and then we get old and die?

Would it be better to die as bad people? Putting the possibility of an afterlife aside for a second - even without that, I'd still rather die having conquered my bad middot than die as a selfish, mean person.

Quote:
and we cant have all relationships, friendships and kids with us? please enlighten me. is everything gone forever? sometimes I dont wanna live but when I do and think that one day everything will b gone what is it worth it all the pain and all the pride and all the happiness and all the smiles? one day everything will be forgotten.

I don't think everything is gone forever. There is an afterlife.

But beyond that, there's also the possibility of doing things that leave a permanent impression on the world. A good deed can be like a stone hitting water, where the ripples travel surprisingly far. Events can take place hundreds or thousands of years after a person passed away, only due to the fact that they existed.

For example imagine person A helps poor student B get through medical school, later as a doctor B saves patient C who goes on to have children who have children... you can have some random guy generations down the line who was born thanks in part to A. (and that's not even mentioning all the big names - Rashi, Rambam, the Baal Shem Tov - people whose works are still studied today, and who are still having an impact on the behavior or many many people alive today).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics