Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Atrocities for fur: Update regarding Israel!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Would you wear fur? (read post first)
No, I would never support animal atrocities  
 36%  [ 27 ]
Only as trimmings on hoods, gloves, etc  
 23%  [ 17 ]
I would still love a fur coat  
 39%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 73

ora_43

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:35 pm
bubby wrote:
I don't condone torture of any sort, even pulling wings off flies. But I don't see mink farming as torture.

Did you read the article? How is being skinned alive not torture? And that was just one of many examples.

Quote:
The thing is, I like fur. I wear leather, I eat meat, I don't restrict my omelettes to free-range & organic eggs so why be a hypocrite & refuse to wear fur?

If someone doesn't daven mincha or maariv, should they not daven shacharit either, just to keep things equal?

Quote:
As I said, I respect people who hold pro-animal strong beliefs, but in the bigger picture animals are not human.

I don't quite get what you're saying here. Do you think that the fact that animals are not human somehow refutes the argument that we shouldn't torture animals?

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:44 pm
tzar belachaim; I also really don't like harming animals. Fur is unnecessary to protect a person from the cold today. Wouldn't unless I was stuck in an ice cave with or without McGyver.

But the way everything is farmed today...well try watching Food inc. I really wish I could go back to being a vegetarian.
I keep wanting to try.

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:46 pm
Just because there are *some* instances in which using animals as we wish may be appropriate, doesn't mean it's *always* okay to do so. You can't compare medical testing with eyeliner/mink coats/foie gras.

bubby

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:52 pm
ora_43 wrote:

Quote:
The thing is, I like fur. I wear leather, I eat meat, I don't restrict my omelettes to free-range & organic eggs so why be a hypocrite & refuse to wear fur?

If someone doesn't daven mincha or maariv, should they not daven shacharit either, just to keep things equal?

You brought G-d in. tsk Tsk.

Look, I am not going to argue with any of you. I don't like the idea of animals being tortured for any reason. You're right, I'm wrong, but I still like fur. So shoot me.

prettyone

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 9:09 pm
bubby wrote:
ora_43 wrote:

Quote:

You brought G-d in. tsk Tsk.

Look, I am not going to argue with any of you. I don't like the idea of animals being tortured for any reason. You're right, I'm wrong, but I still like fur. So shoot me.

naa no one is gonna shoot you. that would be torture. Very Happy

mynameismom

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 8:49 am
One day when I can afford it I would love a fur coat but I will make sure the fur doesnt come from China. I've seen those videos before and would never wear fur from a farm that tortures the animals like that.

B"H

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 9:21 am
when I told my husband about this thread, his first reaction was
"those dumb animal rights activists, they care more about animals than about ppl.... the nazi's cared about animals too...peta trying to stop kapores..." etc.
we had a whole argument, looked up tzaar baalei chayim in the shulchan aruch... it was fun Smile
then he watched the video. (I refused to watch it cuz my body can't handle these things Puke)
anyway, after watching the video, he didn't argue anymore. he said it was so sick, he was really grossed out, said he doesn't understand how or why ppl would do that. (oh and by the way, he's a SHOCHET!!!)

anon

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 9:50 am
B"H wrote:
when I told my husband about this thread, his first reaction was
"those dumb animal rights activists, they care more about animals than about ppl.... the nazi's cared about animals too...peta trying to stop kapores..." etc.
we had a whole argument, looked up tzaar baalei chayim in the shulchan aruch... it was fun Smile
then he watched the video. (I refused to watch it cuz my body can't handle these things Puke)
anyway, after watching the video, he didn't argue anymore. he said it was so sick, he was really grossed out, said he doesn't understand how or why ppl would do that. (oh and by the way, he's a SHOCHET!!!)

I had a similar type of argument over shabbas. I told our guests why I don't want to wear my fur trimmed coat anymore. The husband had a similar response, which involved stating that he didn't really care about the animals and PETA people are crazy. I responded that it's easy for you to say somethign like that because you're just sticking your head in the sand and ignoring reality...in other words, if you were actually at a fur farm and SAW WITH YOUR OWN EYES AND HEARD WITH YOUR OWN EARS the suffering of the animals...if reality was forced down your throat and you couldn't ignore it anymore...then I'm pretty sure that you'd be so traumatized that you'd never be able to look at fur again.

The same goes for anyone who says that they would still wear fur...you refuse to let the information you're reading become a reality for you. I have enough faith in humanity to believe that if you witnessed the abuse yourself, you'd be singing a very different tune.

Last edited by anon on Sun, Aug 29 2010, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

marina

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 10:06 am
bubby wrote:
I'm in BIG trouble. I have 2 mink coats (one is a raincoat), & I'd love something in chinchilla or sable, but the budget will never stretch.

This is how I see it. Every living thing has a purpose. As I understand it, a mink's is to keep spoiled Jewish matrons warm in the winter. Now it is true I know absolutely nothing about how they are farmed, but quite honestly, I don't really care. Yes, it would be nice if each little mink lived in a pretty Laura Ashley designed cage with all mod cons, but the real world isn't like that.

I applaud animal activists' dedication, but I really wish they'd be as concerned about the rights of women & children, world hunger, and so on. I'll take my mink, let PETA worry about starving kids & the Haiti earthquake.

Thing is bubby, I'm willing to bet that kids in Haiti and world hunger are pretty low on your priority list too.

bubby

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 10:14 am
marina wrote:
bubby wrote:
I'm in BIG trouble. I have 2 mink coats (one is a raincoat), & I'd love something in chinchilla or sable, but the budget will never stretch.

This is how I see it. Every living thing has a purpose. As I understand it, a mink's is to keep spoiled Jewish matrons warm in the winter. Now it is true I know absolutely nothing about how they are farmed, but quite honestly, I don't really care. Yes, it would be nice if each little mink lived in a pretty Laura Ashley designed cage with all mod cons, but the real world isn't like that.

I applaud animal activists' dedication, but I really wish they'd be as concerned about the rights of women & children, world hunger, and so on. I'll take my mink, let PETA worry about starving kids & the Haiti earthquake.

Thing is bubby, I'm willing to bet that kids in Haiti and world hunger are pretty low on your priority list too.

Good to know people can see into my wallet & into my mind to know exactly what I give & to where.

marina

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 11:46 am
shame that my Haiti thread got deleted, huh?

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 8:17 pm
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
I would never wear or buy real fur. I'm no animal lover, but I believe that animals were put in this world for one purpose - food.

What a waste of an animal if you only use it for food. People have been making shoes out of the skin of animals for thousands of years, they used the furs to line their clothing. Hashem gave us animals to use all of it, not to waste perfectly good and useful items.

Not to mention that we require animal parts to fulfill certain mitzvot, we need deer skin to make sifrei torah, we need sheep horns, for shofrot, we need a dye extracted from fish to make techelet for tzitzit. We are required to use animals for korbanot, many of which were not eaten.

I agree that cruelty to animals is wrong, it's also prohibited by the torah. It is only because you live in modern times that you can turn your nose up at fur or leather. Just 100 years ago there was no synthetic fibers to use. there was wool, there was silk, and there were cotton, and then there were the skins you got off the animals you hunted. The feathers from the chickens, ducks and geese were used to stuff pillows and blankets, animal skins were used as lining for clothes in the winter. Not one precious drop of the animal was wasted, even the bones were used.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 8:30 pm
even if I would be able to afford fur, there is no way I would wear it. It's like wearing a gigantic sign around your neck saying "I like to torture cute little animals" I'm sure if you wear one in certain areas people will throw (organic and free range) eggs at you.

(the cruelty thing bothers me too)

amother

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 9:50 pm
I inherited a mink coat. And some other fur pieces. I gave them to my mother. I wouldn't be caught dead in them.
I'm not super-political about animal rights. I eat meat. I wear leather shoes. But somehow I feel horribly uneasy walking around fully draped in dead animal remains. I keep hearing the words of a pre-school teacher I once worked with (who was admittedly pushing her PC green-peace liberal agenda onto the kids)..., "Where do animal skins belong?" And the kids would reply in unison, "On animals!" .... "Where do animal furs belong?" "On animals!"

Eowyn

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 9:46 pm
bubby wrote:

Wow. Talk about cold and callous. Something tells me you wouldn't bat an eyelash as owning a blood diamond either.

Yes, animals are here to serve our purposes, but the Torah still tells us that they should be treated humanely.

I have no problem with using an animal for it's fur, as long as the animal was not abused and was killed before it's skin was ripped off.

anon

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 11:35 am
I just found this link! I'm so proud of our people!

http://www.meattradenewsdaily.......aspx

saw50st8

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 11:45 am
anon wrote:

How will people get streimels?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 11:47 am
I have a fur lined coat. My husband bought it for me because he wanted me to have one. I'm not saying we didn't have an argument about it, but if the choices are unhappy husband & no coat vs happy husband & coat from an already dead animal, I'd prefer the happy husband part. I wouldn't buy anything fur for myself though.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 11:49 am
saw50st8 wrote:
anon wrote:

I was thinking about that. I apparently can't be anti fur if my husband's minhag is to wear a streimel. He's not exactly planning to stop wearing one.

anon

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 11:49 am
saw50st8 wrote:
anon wrote:

It's for non-religious items....fur for streimels is still allowed.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics