Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
When do you pierce your daughters' ears?
1  2  3  Next

When do you pierce your daughters' ears?
I don't (plan to)  
 6%  [ 6 ]
0 - 3 months  
 29%  [ 28 ]
3 - 6 months  
 6%  [ 6 ]
6 - 12 months  
 5%  [ 5 ]
1-3 years  
 4%  [ 4 ]
3+ years  
 7%  [ 7 ]
When they get older/when they decide themselves they want earrings  
 38%  [ 37 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 95

SV

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 1:03 pm
Just curious what most people do.

Starhavah

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 1:06 pm
We told DD she has to wait until she is 18 and can care for them herself.

mazaltov

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 1:09 pm
at my birthing center they do it (if you want obviously) as soon as the baby is born- so they dont have to use a gun, they just pop them in and the baby cries for about 15 sec and its overwith for the rest of their lives!
my DD got hers done at 2 days old
my sister got them when she was 15 min old (!)

bailalinda

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 1:10 pm
We did it at just over 6 months. We would have done it earlier, but life got in the way Very Happy

amother

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 1:11 pm
Starhavah wrote:
We told DD she has to wait until she is 18 and can care for them herself.

you dont think she can care for them herself when she is 13? I think 18 is a bit old......
and to tell you the truth- there isnt much "caring" that you need to do- only the 6 weeks after you get them pierced make sure to clean them, but after that wear real and you shouldnt have any problems!

fiddle

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 1:20 pm
dd was 3 weeks old. as far as I know, there was no caring....

cubbie

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 1:21 pm
My oldest got them for her 4th birthday, she was asking for them since she was 2, I felt that on the one hand it needed to be her choice to have earings, but at the same time I wanted her to be old enough that she understood what she was doing, and that it would hurt and that they need to be cleaned etc, and I felt that at 4 she was ready. My second dd hasn't ever asked and when her sister says that she can get earings when she's 4 (she's now 3 1/2) but that it hurts she says she doesn't want them. If she changes her mind fine, if she doesn't fine.

myfriends715

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 1:42 pm
I was going to wait till around 4 or 5 but dd is a twin w a boy and since there is so much upsherin hype we needed something to make it special for her too so she just got earrings last week and the upsherin is in almost 2 weeks

sporty

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 2:01 pm
I have a question - my dd is 18 months and we have a family simcha in December and now I think I'd live to have her ears pierced for it. Can I do it in the next month or is that cazy because she will notice it but not understand?

mazaltov

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 2:02 pm
myfriends715 wrote:
I was going to wait till around 4 or 5 but dd is a twin w a boy and since there is so much upsherin hype we needed something to make it special for her too so she just got earrings last week and the upsherin is in almost 2 weeks

CUTE! I like that idea!

invisiblecircus

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 2:52 pm
I haven't got children yet but when I do I don't plan on letting them have ears pierced until they are old enough to do it without my permission (ie 18 )

I've never had mine pierced either.

Last edited by invisiblecircus on Thu, Aug 26 2010, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

louche

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 2:58 pm
I don't believe in doing anything elective and irreversible to a child--especially something painful!-- unless it's for her health. When she's old enough to decide for herself that this is what she wants and mature enough to understand the consequences, that's the time to do it. Not before.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 3:39 pm
DD was chubby as a baby, so to divert attention away from her face, I pierced her ears at the very top of the safe scale for a toddler, 18 mos.

P.S. She's 21 and barely 100 lbs now. Go figure.

But ask your dr.

mashcsch

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 3:57 pm
My oldest was 1 wk. They did it in the mother/baby home I went to. They said she didn't cry but I don't believe them. My second daughter was 4 months on the advice of our pediatrician. I did my third daughter when she was 3 wks old at a mother/baby home. I asked a nurse to hold her because I felt so guilty. I just love baby girls with earrings. And anyhow, they have no complaints after. Besides, once they're older (about 1 1/2) they play with the earrings. Like this it's a part of them.

soldat

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 4:00 pm
bas mitzvah.

I was 10 - didn't take care of them, they closed up and I had to get them repierced.

shemesh

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 4:12 pm
IN THE HOSPITAL, BEFORE WE WENT HOME !

mamaleh

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 4:41 pm
I voted 3+ because that's what we did with this dd- She earned them for being toilet trained.
To the person asking about an 18 mo. Someone I know did that and really regretted it. Kid was old enough to realize they were there and to young to understand not to play with them. She ended up pulling one out and it got infected...Big mess!

peanut37

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 4:50 pm
cubbie wrote:
My oldest got them for her 4th birthday, she was asking for them since she was 2, I felt that on the one hand it needed to be her choice to have earings, but at the same time I wanted her to be old enough that she understood what she was doing, and that it would hurt and that they need to be cleaned etc, and I felt that at 4 she was ready. My second dd hasn't ever asked and when her sister says that she can get earings when she's 4 (she's now 3 1/2) but that it hurts she says she doesn't want them. If she changes her mind fine, if she doesn't fine.

I had almost the same exact situation, except I did it at 3 because of upsherin hype for boys... but my older one couldn't wait and the younger one had no interest because she was scared of the pain, but then she did it at 4.

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 5:16 pm
when they asked for it.

Rodent

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 10:09 pm
We don't have any daughters yet but we've discussed this and agreed on bat mitzva.

I really don't like babies with earrings.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics