Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Diabetes-friendly and diet-friendly Rosh Hashannah recipes?

Yocheved84

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 7:03 am
We all know the childhood song "Apples dipped in honey on Rosh Hashannah, la la la" (a favorite in our house) Smile

Ok, but what if you can't handle all that sugar in the honey? My table will be half full of diabetics (type II) and half full of people on diets.

Any recipes for sweet but healthy foods that won't send my guests into sugar overload? Whenever a recipe has called for sweet n low or even splenda, it has an aftertaste in cooked food...

Thanks,
yocheved

mazelandbracha

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 9:19 am
I make baked apples = core an apple, but leave some apple on the bottom, then fill the hole with nuts and cinnamon (you can add sugar, but the apple is sweet - you don't have to). Bake on 350 in a pan with water on the bottom until it's soft.)
Also apple cobbler - same idea - sliced apples, cinnamon and oatmeal on top. I leave out all the margarine and sugar sometimes, and it works fine. OK, not as good as the regular way, but still fine.

SorGold

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 5:02 pm
xylitol has no bitter aftertaste and neither does agave nectar. Either can be substituted in any sweet salad. Xylitol also bakes very well

mamaleh

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 7:56 pm
I saw an ad in Mishpacha for a new line of sugar free products (I think they had xylitol, but I could be wrong) including a honey and a ketchup. It might be worth checking out. If you need more info let me know & I'll dig up the ad.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 9:11 pm
I make a lot of low fat recipes which you are here under my name, but I don't know about diabetics.

p.s. I do not know that song, would you sing it please ?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 10:17 pm
They now sell a kind of honey that is not sweet-saw it advertised this week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur